Steel cannulas

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello
I have read several times on here people say that steel needles have to be changed more often, every 24 hours instead of 36 hours.

I would love to know why.

I have been using Sure T's and changing them every 36 hours without problem. In fact I find them less of a problem than teflon cannulas as I get no scarring, they never kink, are very comfortable to wear and I can insert them into all kinds of places that are impossible to reach with a teflon cannula.

Cally

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's every 48 hours (2 days) that they need to be changed. I made a mistake (typo) in one of my posts and said 24 hours, I meant 48 hours and have since corrected that error. Steel cannulas need to be changed every 2 days. I'm not sure where else you read 24 hours?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply.
But I am just as bad, What I meant was 48 hours as I have heard people say the they need to be changed every 2 days instead of every 3 and wondered why this was?

Cally

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not sure why they say to change every 48 hours, I have accidentally left mine in for 3 days and as far as I am aware, nothing odd happened to me, my skin, or my bg's....

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I change my steel cannula every 2 days, sometimes a bit earlier if i have a shower and ill take it out to shower and have a good scrub :)

I think its 2 days for a steel cannula because your more prone to infection that with a teflon cannula.

Sort of like the rule of never putting tins/cans in a fridge you use a plastic container instead?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having been reading online about contact detach and steel cannulas it seems that most pumpers in the USA leave the steel sets in for 3 days with no issue. Some people were even leaving them 4-5 days although I wouldn't do that long myself.

At the moment I am being good and changing every other day until I get used to them but I have to say leaving them an extra day, like the teflon, is VERY appealing!!

Anyone here leave them 3 days on a regular basis?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replies.

I always leave mine in for 3 days and have no problems, not even a red mark which I do get with teflon cannulas.

That is why I was curious about people saying on this website that they need to be changed every 2 days.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've left Jess with the steel for 2 and a half days and had no problems but I do try to stick to the 2 days all the time as I feel the advice is there for a reason (I don't know what the reason is, I thought it was something to do with scar tissue but I might be wrong).