Step into Spring

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesdays is swim day with son... there is no better way to exercise imho...... especially when the pool is nice and quiet...:happy:

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
3 x 30 minute walks today to hit my 10000 steps plus
A beautiful Autumn day just a hint that the leaves are turning

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My walking shoes were destroyed, after only 2 walks.
So today, I walked around shops for 3 hours, looking for a more robust pair.
Success, I found the perfect shoes, in the last shoe shop in the area. I had been in 5 shops.
Alas, feet too sore now and body too weary to try a nice leisure walk.

It better not be too rainy to get out tomorrow.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I think it's forcast to rain Pipp , I'm getting a new window in so it probably will .
Walked around town waiting for my Diabetic check appointment, I phoned for the result so not worried .

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
4.17 mile walk after more paper scraping .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It rained this morning, so I paced back and forth, watching BBC morning news programme for an hour. Then again at lunchtime 45 mins. Lovely afternoon, so spent 35 mins walking country lane. Activity tracker has 169 steps left until I hit target for the day which is 5300. No big deal for some, but compared to a year ago this is mega big deal for me.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
We have gone a long way haven't we

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

A few of our activities on this thread

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Skipped along the lane in my oh so comfy, so so expensive but well worth it, new shoes. Then paced up a slope without falling over.
Go me! :D

Pink lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are very lucky , I have Steriod induced Type 2 :::: and straight onto injections , I have to remain on the Steriods & take more than 47 plus drugs for other medical conditions, I need some help after 3 years on the injections :::: Lantus at breakfast 80 units. Plus Humalog 12/16 units 3 x per day, I have put on 3 stone plus &a with my Disability not possible to exercise . Please ,Please can any body help me I look like I am having a baby , Soooo Up set ,

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pink lady, who do you call lucky? Was your post addressed to me or someone else in this thread?

This thread is about increasing activity. Not necessarily exercise. Some of us started a couple of years ago, just taking time to find some sort of activity to gradually improve and increase fitness levels. I live with disabling conditions that frequently, literally have me floored, and helpless for days. But I can always manage to find something to be deemed 'activity'. Sometimes that is just holding a chair back and moving my feet around, or sitting down but raising my arms.

This week, I have felt lucky. I have been able to walk out on my own, and get out and home again without falling or being in agony. Ok so I am sore after walking, but exhilarated because I have managed to do something I used to take for granted. If I am not able to manage the 'skipping along' (which was actually a bit of a shuffle but the joy of being out felt like skipping to me), I find something else I can do. I am never going to be able to go hiking miles over the fells like I used to, but being a glass half full type of girl I am content with my lot.

Sorry if this is turning into a lecture, but I do believe that we make our own luck sometimes. I am not unmoved by your plea for help, so can you be specific about what it is you are needing help with? Only you can decide if you want to increase activity levels, and find something you are able to manage and work at it.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Pink lady.
3 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 , diet controlled and through hard work and perseverance I still am .
I started these threads because I wanted to get more active . It's amazing how active you can be if you use your imagination .
My fellow posters have done various things and have built up to their level . It's not a completion , it's an individual thing and you ll find your own level and loads of support on here .
Start be moving about your sitting room for 5 minutes 6 times a day . Then build it up . Before you know it you ll be more active . Remember every journey starts with the first step .
You can dance around the sitting room , walk up and down the stairs , swim , stand up for an hour , iron , clean windows , etc etc what ever you want as long as you aren't sitting still .
The key is to find your own level and build on it .

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi pink lady, I agree with jamrox. If you have problems exercising there are lots of different ways you can increase your activity level. My mum is blind from retinopathy and also has arthritis but she knows how important it is to keep active. She is able to walk with a stick so she makes sure she goes out every day, she has 2 groups that she regularly attends and on the other days she will go down to her local shops, go into town for a meal or shop at the supermarket. Even though she is a widow my younger brother lives with her and is her carer. He is very conscientious and makes sure she stays active - last year she was hospitalized twice with MRSA and its after effects so the whole family are very aware of how much she can be affected by inactivity

Reactions: 3 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Just signed up for the 5x50 challenge for the 3rd year .
30 minutes activity a day for 50 days. I think I ll find it harder this year .

5x50.org

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1459071393.978480.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1459071407.660928.jpg

And we are off for the 3rd year in a row . 5x50 challenge .
30 minutes or 5km a day for 50 days
Day 1 of 50 .
Goal is to loose 6lb and keep blood sugars normal .

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a day in York yesterday and managed 19,627 steps!

Not as active today but had a good walk this morning and have managed 10,964 steps so far.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
That's inspiring david1968 , hope you enjoyed York

Reactions: 2 people