steriods and insulin

Paula2803

Hello, I have a bad chest infection and on antibiotics and steroids which has sent my bloods sky high, to be expected. Have to take six steroids and an antibiotic in the am andmy bloodxwent to 32.9!! Testing keystones and on day two have doubled insulin intake at main meals. No keystones and bringing bloods down to 11 or 12 which is still high, but much better. Just wondering to increase background by a unit or two as well. Have also done corrections on top of double dose but think I will triple the dose tomorrow as this then should not rrequire mW to do corrections at meal times. Any advice would be welcome. I have done Dafne course so familiar with adjusting but not at the level, trial and error! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

Can anyone help @Paula2803,

As you can see from the above post she has had a bad experience with a spammer but it would be great if someone with experience of insulin whilst taking steroids and antibiotics could help.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being given steriods tablets ,my glucose reading have gone up to 3 times of my normal readings some reaching 28

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
And steroids are the reason I developed diabetes in the first place! Bah humbug! Steroids tend to hit your BS level in the mid-afternoon. A friend of mine confirmed this - she is type 2 but insulin dependent.:banghead:o_O Hugs to you Paula.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@videoman steroids will put your levels up without a doubt. Are you likely to be on them long term if not and you take them just a few weeks once you stop taking them your levels should drop back to normal. As I am T2 I am unsure what advice to give on how you a T1 should cope with the higher BG.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@videoman It may be best if you start a thread up on this yourself as this thread is an old one and may not get the attention you need.