Steroid injection to shoulder

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all,

Had injection last night for the first time, asked the dr and he said no raise in BG. I call BS.

temp basal on corrections in place. anyone else experienced this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Engineer - was this for tendonitis ? I've had a steroid injection in my shoulder and thumb for this which raised my BG for about 24 hours, it cured my thumb but not my shoulder so hoping it go away on it's own one day..

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Engineer - was this for tendonitis ? I've had a steroid injection in my shoulder and thumb for this which raised my BG for about 24 hours, it cured my thumb but not my shoulder so hoping it go away on it's own one day..

No its shoulder impingement syndrome, which thinking about it sounds about right but just a different name. also known as swimmers shoulder (i dont swim).

Thats quite good that it lasts 24 hours though!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's possibly the same thing - my GP said my type 1 and tendonitis were not related, however from checking with other members on this forum it seems to fairly common. I didn't adjust my basal afterwards, just did correction doses as I didn't know how long it could last and didn't fancy getting a hypo from changing my basal, fingers crossed the steroid injection will work for you :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's possibly the same thing - my GP said my type 1 and tendonitis were not related, however from checking with other members on this forum it seems to fairly common. I didn't adjust my basal afterwards, just did correction doses as I didn't know how long it could last and didn't fancy getting a hypo from changing my basal, fingers crossed the steroid injection will work for you :)

I guess thats where I'm lucky with the CGM, I can keep an eye on it :) thanks @Juicy

Reactions: Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Engineer88 . Hope the steriod injection proves successful . I've had 3 many years ago, 1st time successful following 2 unsuccessful.
I was informed by a physiotherapist that stretching and creating flexibility in the shoulder was the best cure.
I now have a set shoulder stretch/ exercise regime I use daily. It takes 5 mins a day and has proved fantastic for pain relief and flexibility in my shoulders.
If you put. Rotator cuff exercise in to a search engine you'll find some great stretching exercises, it's then a case of finding what works best for you.
Good luck.

Reactions: Engineer88

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @therower thanks for that, Today its too tender to do anything at all but will look when its a bit better.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @therower thanks for that, Today its too tender to do anything at all but will look when its a bit better.
If you only get information about how complex your shoulder/ rotator cuff is can be quite an eye opener.
It's something definitely worth learning about.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a steroid jab in my shoulder a couple of months ago and my blood glucose the next morning was 9.4 !! (I'm usually between 4.5 and 5.5)
It did not help at all so I was referred to physio therapy and must say the exercises have helped a lot more than the cortisone injection .

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
thanks for that therower, I should have had one earlier in the year but decided against it as I'm not the best with other people giving me injections and have had 5 steriod injections in my wrists,thumbs and fingers and know they chaff a tad. I will look for the exercises

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a steroid jab in my shoulder a couple of months ago and my blood glucose the next morning was 9.4 !! (I'm usually between 4.5 and 5.5)
It did not help at all so I was referred to physio therapy and must say the exercises have helped a lot more than the cortisone injection .

Lucky you mine was 15.4 :(

jcummings68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had several injections about 5 years ago, having had frozen shoulder. My blood sugars definitely spiked the next day every time. As Connie104 says, I didn't notice any improvement from the cortisone either, just sore in a different way. Hope this helps

Red shaw

No its shoulder impingement syndrome, which thinking about it sounds about right but just a different name. also known as swimmers shoulder (i dont swim).

Thats quite good that it lasts 24 hours though!
Hi Engineer 88
I had this for "shoulder impingement syndrome", and it immediately FROZE my shoulder. The steroid affected my bg for a few days. But the Frozen Shoulder is still with me despite Hydrodilatation (google it!) including MORE steroid, and a general anaesthetic with manipulation, laporoscopic surgery and a nerve block (the nerve block took hours to work) and the steroid in the surgery affected bgs again.
A long and sorry story, which I hope you don't experience, but being diabetic I think it is very likely the beginnings of frozen shoulder.
And diabetics are notorious for it taking a LONG time to resolve - as the consultant told me this morning.
I hope the steroid does the job for you though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To add to the discussion, steroids are of no value for genuine frozen shoulder - a complete waste of time and money. They can help for other conditions of the shoulder but not 'adhesive encapsulitis' where the shoulder capsule clamps down.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Morning all,

Had injection last night for the first time, asked the dr and he said no raise in BG. I call BS.

temp basal on corrections in place. anyone else experienced this?
Only just seen this so sorry the reply so late.
My experience was double the basal and increase the bolus. The effect lasted about 10 days with me with a gradual reduction of insulin towards the 7 day mark.
Hope your shoulder is feeling better.

Reactions: Engineer88
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How is your shoulder feeling now, I hope you are felling okay ?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Engineer 88
I had this for "shoulder impingement syndrome", and it immediately FROZE my shoulder. The steroid affected my bg for a few days. But the Frozen Shoulder is still with me despite Hydrodilatation (google it!) including MORE steroid, and a general anaesthetic with manipulation, laporoscopic surgery and a nerve block (the nerve block took hours to work) and the steroid in the surgery affected bgs again.
A long and sorry story, which I hope you don't experience, but being diabetic I think it is very likely the beginnings of frozen shoulder.
And diabetics are notorious for it taking a LONG time to resolve - as the consultant told me this morning.
I hope the steroid does the job for you though.

How is your shoulder feeling now, I hope you are felling okay ?

I seem to have got away luckily, Its mobile and seems a lot easier :)

Cheers @CarbsRok Just pushed Basal up to 200%, I hate having it that high so will keep a close eye.

Thanks all

Reactions: Robinredbreast