Still got the price tag on

Laptoploon

Hi to everyone, I’m a brand new member ( hence the the title)

Hadn’t seen a doc in 20+ years then developed a persistent cough, so off I pop last May and it turns out I’ve got loads wrong with me including type 2 - every time I put in for a repeat prescription, Boots shares climb by 2p.

Still got the cough!

A question if I may....

Bought a blood monitor... works a treat.... how long after a meal is the optimum time to check my blood?

TIA

James

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Laptoploon or James and welcome to the forum. Will tag @daisy1 for her welcome pack with loads of info for you.
I would test before food then 2 hours after to see what that particular meal is doing to your bloods

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The test is usually timed to two hours after the premeal one, rather than after the end of the meal.
If you are on medication for type two you can get free prescriptions - ask at the doctors.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi @Resurgam,

Thanks for that - will try that out.

As for free meds, I’m of an age that it’s all free

Anyone know if test strips and lancets can be had on prescription?

James

Post code lottery.

I get test strips prescribed but I don't use a lot, and I've had them prescribed since first diagnosis so it is probably harder to take them off me than to just not prescribe to a newbie.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi @Resurgam,

Thanks for that - will try that out.

As for free meds, I’m of an age that it’s all free

Anyone know if test strips and lancets can be had on prescription?

James
Hi James
When I got my meter it had a letter you could fill in and take to your GP for free strips and lancets. They are on my repeat and I just order when I need also my sharps box is on repeat. I'm in Norfolk but I know other T2's have problems. There's also a note on the website here that tells you that T2's should have them on prescription. The GP will want you to be testing regularly so you should get them. You can but try! Good luck and try the low carb diet, it's awesome!
Mell

Twickers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi to everyone, I’m a brand new member ( hence the the title)

Hadn’t seen a doc in 20+ years then developed a persistent cough, so off I pop last May and it turns out I’ve got loads wrong with me including type 2 - every time I put in for a repeat prescription, Boots shares climb by 2p.

Still got the cough!

A question if I may....

Bought a blood monitor... works a treat.... how long after a meal is the optimum time to check my blood?

TIA

James
James, are you by any chance taking Ramipril for blood pressure management? The Ramipril Cough is well known in my family!

Best wishes, Jackie

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
James, are you by any chance taking Ramipril for blood pressure management? The Ramipril Cough is well known in my family!

Best wishes, Jackie

Yes, I had it too. I thought I was dying - I had tests for cancer - certainly I was on the point of losing my job - until my pharmacist did an annual review of my meds and i just couldn't stop coughing, couldn't catch my breath and thought I would faint with it.. She told me about the Ramipril cough and i went to my GP that day. He changed the Ramipril to something else and within a fortnight the cough had gone completely.

Laptoploon

Hi, a huge thanks to all that have responded.

I’m going to check with my Doc about a prescription for the lancet and strips.

It was a persistent cough that drove me to the Docs in the first place(when I thought I was as fit as a fiddle).... high blood pressure was one of the things wrong and, yes, I was given Ramipril and as I think about it, the cough is much more severe than previously. I’m having a chest x-ray later today and will ask my Doc about the Ramipril thing when we discuss the x-ray results.

Coming back to the diabetes, here’s a thing....
A week ago last Sunday, I had a heart attack and the first procedure was an angiogram. Due to the dye used, my Metformin was halted as the dye can have an adverse affect on the meds. Was told it was 48hrs to clear the system, so teatime Tues.... nothing happened no Metformin, nor the next morning... and despite constantly asking nothing changed until my discharge last Sat.

That wasn’t the thing, this is....
As a diabetic, my blood was tested either 3 or 4 times a day and despite no meds, I was coming in at 7 to 14.... which is what I get when I am on Metformin.... anyone know why?

Reactions: jpscloud

Grazer

Not sure what your question is - are you asking why your BGs are the same on or off metformin? If so, the fact is that metformin doesn't do a great deal for BGs. It has been suggested that on maximum dose metformin, the maximum affect on peak readings would be to reduce them by 1 to 2 mmols. So with a range 7-14 which you mention, you wouldn't be able to spot much difference.
However, Metformin has been proven positively to be a great help in preventing cardio vascular episodes, so with your heart attack, I would think you need to get back on it quick, unless there's another medical reason why you shouldn't.

Reactions: Laptoploon

Laptoploon

Hi @Grazer

Yes it was a question about not having the meds as opposed to having them.

Should have been clearer, the hospital gave me back the Metformin on discharge, so back on full dosage since last Sat evening.