Still learning

Andy J-R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, I was diagnosed type 2 earlier this year, prescribed metformin 500mg daily. Since then I've shed 8K in weight & still working at that, low carb diet. Reasonable exercise regime , - well reasonable for a 64 year old with a wonky knee :) .

My question - after intitial success in getting my BG down to between 6 to 7 mmol/l - self testing - I now find that it is settling a at a higher reading of 7.5 to 9, especially high if I take the dog for a walk before eating breakfast.
I haven't knowingly changed anything - what am doing wrong?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you tell us a bit more about what you are eating? Perhaps there's some changes you can make there.

Andy J-R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you tell us a bit more about what you are eating? Perhaps there's some changes you can make there.
Sure - eggs for breakfast no toast., usually a sandwich for lunch (wholegrain bread -couple of slices - meat, salad filling) dinner varies , today was a beef casserole - small baked potato -. A slurp or two of vino collapso most evenings :)

Reactions: Antje77

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could be dawn phenomeno exacerbated by the dog-walk before eating. Try mixing it up a little bit.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Guzzler , I’d eat before the dog walk if I had a dog :joyful:
Have you tested after your bread or potato? Bread and potato don’t feature much in my diet these days. Do you aim for a certain carb level each day?

Reactions: Guzzler

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just like to let people know, that if you are doing everything right and if things don't make sense, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. I was and the latest stats say 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed at first. It is sometimes hard to tell because at the beginning you still make some insulin until you don't, and the only way to know for sure is to be tested for antibodies and c-peptide.

So just keep it in mind, just in case.

Reactions: Andy J-R

Andy J-R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Guzzler , I’d eat before the dog walk if I had a dog :joyful:
Have you tested after your bread or potato? Bread and potato don’t feature much in my diet these days. Do you aim for a certain carb level each day?
I'm not formally monitoring my carb intake, just minimising the obvious ones (bread, spuds, pasta and rice)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that eating first thing, protein, fat, and just a few carbs, with a cup of coffee with cream was the key to going the rest of the day, no problems.
For dinner I have more carbs, as I can cope with them, sometimes in the form of frozen berries with cream - or strawberries in the summer, and more coffee, but the total is less than 40 gm per day to try to achieve normality.

Andy J-R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not formally monitoring my carb intake, just minimising the obvious ones (bread, spuds, pasta and rice)
Eating before the walk is a major rethink - for years I wasn't even a breakfast eater - first meal was usually a late lunch. I'm having to rethink - bit of challenge :) but duly noted