1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

stop diabetes two stigma and find a cure instead of blaming us for being sick

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by aimee11, Nov 10, 2014.

1. aimee11

aimee11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

yes this is exactly my point
    i was thin and eating boiled veggies and fish or chicken and i exercised daily and yet i am obese and diabetic and i did everything rright

• Like Like x 2
  2. graj0

graj0 · Guest

I've just had a quick Google, "NHS Advice for type II", the first URL advises a "healthy , balanced diet", if you click on that, it's all about losing weight and amongst other things it recommends processed foods which if I'm not mistaken is prepacked.
    Another one of my cousins has just been diagnosed with type II, she was told to "make lifestyle changes", before they even asked about her lifestyle.

• Like Like x 2
  3. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, you are very much mistaken, which is a problem that blights the interpretation of the NHS advice.

In context, from the webpage you refer to.

Food processing techniques include freezing, canning, baking, drying and pasteurising products.

Dietitian Sian Porter says: "Not all processed food is a bad choice. Some foods need processing to make them safe, such as milk, which needs to be pasteurised to remove harmful bacteria. Other foods need processing to make them suitable for use, such as pressing seeds to make oil.

"Freezing fruit and veg preserves most vitamins, while tinned produce (choose those without added sugar and salt) can mean convenient storage, cooking and choice to eat all year round, with less waste and cost than fresh."

I'm sure cheese, and oil feature in your diet, so, the NHS seem to be giving advice you are taking, regarding processed foods.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/what-are-processed-foods.aspx

• Like Like x 2
  4. graj0

graj0 · Guest

This would suggest something much more complicated. My poor old GP didn't have a clue why I could consume as little as about 1000 cals a day and exercise 5 days a week and not loose weight. The endocrinologist I saw suggested a gastric band which I might have considered at the time except for the fact in my town patients were told they had to eat 1200 calories a day. May I suggest you look into Nutritional Therapy, it's not for everyone, but they know more than your average GP. With my NT I'm now looking into why my muscles seemed to be starved of the energy they require in the form of ATP. I don't pretend to fully understand, but losing weight isn't just about eating less and exercising more.

• Like Like x 4
  5. aimee11

the problem with processedfood is that they put ingredients in that you would never eat which are not artificial or preservatives. so if they put in wallpaper paste into low fat yoghurt to thicken it they can get away with advertising it as healthy and natural. no one knows if eating so much wallpaper paste causes health problems

• Like Like x 2
  6. douglas99

It's as likely to be in pasteurised/processed (see above) high fat version, but possibly the fungicidal version?

7. aimee11

8. aimee11

this is EXACTLY my story

I ALWAYS did EVERYTHING right

NEVER snacked and NEVER had sodas and always had boiled food and never fried food

always did jazz ballet every night and walked 30 minutes and weights too

I am obese and diabetic

go figure

• Like Like x 4
  9. aimee11

my metabolism is so out of whack that the only way for me to stay svelte is have 400 calories a day

trouble is that at that rate my organs are eating each other

• Like Like x 4
  10. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I find it really sad to read of fellow type 2s who criticise themselves for being fat couch potatoes and 'causing' their condition.

Especially when they promote that idea on a forum like this.

Even if a person lives a couch potato lifestyle, it is not inevitable that they become type 2.
    There are many more obese people who don't have diabetics than who do.

So even if being fat is a contributing factor, it is not the cause.

Add in the fact that type 1s put on weight when using excess insulin
    Plus that insulin excess is a classic feature of type 2 (even slim type 2s)
    Plus that insulin excess/resistance can predate developing diabetes by decades

How can people claim it was a couch potato lifestyle that caused type 2, when insulin excess/resistance causes all the factors (lethargy, 'greed', lack of energy) that result in a couch potato lifestyle?
    It's absurd. Faulty logic. And I really object to it being promoted on this forum.

I'm fine about people saying 'I ate too much, put on weight, and have type 2'
    I hate the way people say 'I was a lazy slob, put on weight, and have type 2'

Unless you can go back in time and do a test for insulin resistance and glucose tolerance at the point you turned into a couch potato, then you are denigrating yourself, promoting ignorance, and supporting the same bigotry that appears in the media.

As you can see, I feel strongly about this.
    I have spent my entire adult life aware of judgemental glances and criticism. In all that time, the first person who ever validated my body shape was a consultant, who said that, with my contributing factors, she was surprised I wasn't bigger.

The rest of the world may kick us, but we don't have to join in.

• Like Like x 16
  11. aimee11

that is exactly my point

we feel we caused our disease but the fact is that many others who do everything wrong and overeat and eat the wrong foods and never exercise and are very fat never ever get diabetes

and then there are those of us who do everything right and still get fat and become diabetic

certainly dropping carbs does help seeing as diabetes is a fault of metabolism that does not let you metabolise carbs as normal people do but that does not mean you made yourself ill in the first place

• Like Like x 4
  12. this is too difficult two

this is too difficult two Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

there seem to be very few slim T2s but what does any of that matter. We are all ill and human beings. We should be helping each other.

• Like Like x 7
  13. douglas99

Well, I was a fat lazy slob who had regular medicals, and didn't have any problems with BG, then I was a fat lazy slob that did have a high figure, then I was a thin, active, probably still a slob, that had a greatly improved BG.
    I also ate too much.

Beyond that, it's academic now, and won't alter what has happened, and whichever came first doesn't really worry me, I can't go back and change it, I can only work it from now on.

• Like Like x 3
  14. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

You are taking metformin. That is your answer. It changes the ratio of AMP to ATP to up to 4:1 instead of the normal 1:1 That is why your liver "stores" more glycogen Unfortunately that impacts the rate at which your muscles can process lactic acid and process glycogen

15. this is too difficult two

this is too difficult two Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Ish

16. MarkE

MarkE Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Be fair- our glorious lords and masters don't like spending the taxes WE give them on US- and they can hardly start in on cancer victims now can they?

We are simply the easiest targets.

Mind you- I'm not exactly plump, I eat well, and I'm type II with deteriorating bilateral proliferative retinopathy (try saying THAT when tired)...

17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Sure. But there is no need to describe yourself in such self-criticising, judgemental terms, where newly diagnosed diabetics will see them.

Most newbies who post on here are already beating themselves up, battling depression and feeling guilt and shame.

None of those emotions are necessary for controlling blood glucose, and may contribute to the depression that is widespread amongst diabetics.

Expressing ideas that are based on faulty logic and reinforce the negatives are not helpful.

• Like Like x 5
  18. douglas99

As to reinforcing negatives, you'll have to accept my statements that diabetes has actually improved my outlook on life, and empowered me to take control back, and not only manage the diabetes, but to go past it and do a lot more with my life than I was doing before.
    I suppose I could beat myself up, blame myself, blame faulty genes, blame the carbs I used to eat (by choice), but I honestly can't see the point in trying to apportion blame now.
    I'm a grown up, I know I'm not going to change the past, I know I can have a future though.
    And I'm grown up enough to be able to say what my own personal story is, it doesn't need a sugar coat to be honest.
    And I'm not sure how you think that's faulty logic.

I'm also on an extreme diet.

• Like Like x 2
  19. KELI

KELI Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
    #39 KELI, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  20. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook