Stopping smoking my journey

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Determination is the best thing ! You have to really want to stop I stopped over 40 years ago ,it was cold turkey then ,but I have a friend who stopped using Champix he decided that he was a non smoker We threw the last of his cigs in a bin at the crematorium!
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well i`m on the champix now and have decided that thursday will be the last day for the last ciggy and hopefully i can say i`m a non smoker.

Reactions: 4 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry Pasha thursday the 25th of june.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well i`m on the champix now and have decided that thursday will be the last day for the last ciggy and hopefully i can say i`m a non smoker.
I did it with CHAMPIX and been off the fags for about 3 months now good luck you can do it ;);)

Reactions: 6 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I gave up smoking on 7th January 2013 and havent looked back since. I was constantly coughing phlegm up night and day plus i was fedup with my bank balance going in the red so something had to go. I went to a Local NHS stop smoking service and they started me off on high strength patches and Nicorette Inhalators. I spent 8 weeks on the high strength patches then 2 weeks on medium and 2 weeks on low strength and they kept giving me a box of inhalator carts every time i saw them. I only use 1 cartridge per day. Even now i still use the inhalator. I guess im hooked on it but its still a lot cheaper than fags or Vaping e-cigs and safer. I buy them online from Rowlands pharmacy sometimes they run offers buy one box get one free sort of thing. If you are determined enough you will do it. I smoked for nearly 41 years. I feel a whole lot healthier for it and my bank account hasnt been in the red since. Good luck to all those on this forum who are trying to give up you can do it just think of a healthier lifestyle and the money you will save.

Reactions: 8 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks johnboy it mite be sooner i`m on my last packet of cigs and i`m not buying any more.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks johnboy it mite be sooner i`m on my last packet of cigs and i`m not buying any more.

Its tough for a start but it soon comes easier as time goes by. On day 2 i was being sick etc and spent an awful lot of time sleeping as best i could it was horrible. I sure would not want to go through that again. I keep reminding myself of it so ill never go back to the fags.

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello my. Name is david i'm a smoker and i haven't had a ciggy for 2 days:)

Reactions: 11 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I stopped smoking the minute it was explained to me that smoking hastens diabetic complications and additionally nicotine raises blood sugar (making it even more difficult to control diabetes). No patches , no gum all you need is willpower :) I haven't had one for 3.5 years

Reactions: 7 people

AnnieBernice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all after 45 years of smoking, chest infections every year, smokers coughs countless other problems and now my diabetes i have decided to give up the awful habit ,so i went to see the smoking nurse at my surgery this evening to get help. We decided the best way forward for me would be champix tablets , after going through all the side effects with me and to keep a close eye on my bg levels as the tablets can effect these i pick up my first script on thursday.And so my friends join me on my journey because i need all the help and encouragement i can get.
I was a very heavy smoker, this was before I found out I was diabetic. My Dad was diabetic and I know his greatest wish was for me to give up. I did, and I did it cold turkey. I did this 6 months after my Fathers departure from this earth. I suffered horrendous depression and withdrawal on top of grieving the loss of my lovely dad. My advice - keep at it, be strong - don't give in, I am the most stubborn person I know and managed to do it! Once I was diagnosed with diabetes, my Doctor said - giving up smoking as a diabetic is the best thing you will have ever done. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, I used to dream of huge oversized cigarettes, so big they needed a support to rest on ! Your naughty pleasure chemicals in your brain will play tricks on you, don't listen to them ! Best of luck to you. Remember - you can do it !

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Even now i get the occasional dream where im smoking a fag or fags feature in the dream.Its weird isnt it i guess 40 years takes some wiping from your memory.

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi my name is david i`m a smoker and i haven`t had a ciggy for 6 days.and i feel good.

Reactions: 9 people

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my name is david i`m a smoker and i haven`t had a ciggy for 6 days.and i feel good.
Well done David, keep going! I was a committed smoker of 50-60 cigs a day, I went the e-cig way and I don't think I would have ever done it without it - even with it it was tough as it will never be quite as satisfying as the real thing but I persevered. Still vape low strength now, I could probably stop, but I do enjoy it with a drink! :cool:

Stay strong, you CAN do this!

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
E-Cigs arent proven to be safe though and a lot of places wont let you use them. I notice Wetherspoons have banned them. Where as a Nicorette inhalator can be used anywhere and its safe. Only contains Menthol and Nicotine without the 4000 chemicals. I use mine mainly cos i miss the hand to mouth action more than anything else. I avoided alcohol for a while as i associated it with smoking usually chain smoked with a beer. Just looking at the date its coming up to another milestone for me 30 months since i jacked the evil fags in. :) :)

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done! I tried the inhalator but it didn't satisfy the need to 'draw' whereas the e-cig does. I know there are possible safety issues, but they too only contain nicotine and not all the other nasties in ciggys. I've been vaping for over 3 years now and haven't had any problems from it - and as someone with an unrelated lung condition I am checked quite regularly.

Each to their own I guess, but as I say, I'd never have got off the cigs without it.