Strange problem with Levemir

PaulAuster

My perfect basal dose should be 14 units of Levemir in the morning, and 6 units twelve hours later. Anyway, I'm having some problems with my dose in the mornings, which covers perfectly my basal needs... until afternoon arrives. 10 hours since the moment I take my dose (and 4 hours after lunch), my BS seems to rise significantly (50 mg/dl aprox.). It can't be a problem with fast-acting insulin, because I can even have a hypo 2 hours after lunch, and 2 hours later my BS starts to rise as always.

Some people might see it as a lack of basal insulin in my morning dose, but if I take, for example, 16 or 17 units of Levemir in the morning my BS would drop even without having breakfast (in which I need 4 units of Novorapid). It also makes me need less fast-acting insulin in order to avoid a hypo 4 hours after breakfast, but resulting in worse blood sugar levels in the first two-three hours after the meal. if I take 14, my BS would stay perfect. I don't know If i'm not understanding Levemir at all, but most physicians say that basal insulin should only cover fasting blood sugars -- they should not have any effect on our meals. My levemir seems to be lasting 10 hours. It sounds funny since some physicians as Dr. Bernstein state that Levemir should last 18 hours in the morning and 6-8 hours if taken at bedtime. In any case, my Levemir needs seem to change this way depending on the fast-acting insulin units I take during the day, and not depending on my weight or body fat levels. I only weigh 128 pounds and 23 or 25 units of basal insulin daily might seem strange.

What can I do? Anybody experiencing the same problems?

THANK YOU, and sorry for writing such long texts...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hm, does seem a bit strange. Levemir does not last as long as some people say. It's 18 hours max and really nearer 12-15 (there are graphs on the web if you Google it). I do not understand the comments about morning dose lasting a different time than an evening dose. My understanding is that it makes little difference when you take it, it's the 12-15 hours. Yes, your total daily units are higher than your weight would suggest. I'm 61Kg and only take 9 units once a day. What is your overnight fasting blood sugar? You should be aiming for 5-7 mmol (I'm typically 4-6). I'm wondering whether there is too much difference between your morning and evening dose and whether your rapid is being used to compensate?

PaulAuster

I'm thinking that Novorapid is not convering my meals. My stomach seems to fully empty after Novorapid takes his major action. Can it be gastroparesis? I'm thinking of taking Regular insulin instead of Novorapid.