Stress and my levels

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. I have been managing my pre-diabetes really well. Lost loads of weight (size 16 to a 12 in 6 months). I have got into a good low carb diet and exercise routine. The only reading I get before food that is not in the low 5s is early morning after waking up. However, on holiday I do get into the 5s. The minute I'm back to work and in high stress those morning levels are routinely low to mid 6s and this morning it was 7.2 (I don't even get that 2 hours after food)!

I'm already on citalopram for managing my stress. What else can I do to get those levels down?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi there. I have been managing my pre-diabetes really well. Lost loads of weight (size 16 to a 12 in 6 months). I have got into a good low carb diet and exercise routine. The only reading I get before food that is not in the low 5s is early morning after waking up. However, on holiday I do get into the 5s. The minute I'm back to work and in high stress those morning levels are routinely low to mid 6s and this morning it was 7.2 (I don't even get that 2 hours after food)!

I'm already on citalopram for managing my stress. What else can I do to get those levels down?
You are achieving pretty good bs readings,and the last thing to subside will be the fasting reading first thing in the morning( ideally take it before your feet touch the floor) this is what is known as the dawn phenomenon ,its our bodies natural response to provide enough glucose for the bodies to use for physical activity...so as long as it's being expelled like this...don't worry it's natural when your bs fasting get into say 5.5 then likely your excess glucose which is stored in the liverwill be GONE...clive

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Stress will have an effect on your bloods.
I haven't an answer to stress, because I'm not qualified to answer.
But your readings away from the stress are very good.

But the weird thing about keeping your bloods around normal is that the stress anxiety will lessen the longer you are close to normal levels.

Unfortunately, stress is a par of everyday work, it is how you handle and can cope with it!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Even with the stress from work those figures are good. 4-7 is ok for Type 2s. One reading of 7.2 isn't anything to worry about, meters aren't 100% accurate, and can be up to 20% out.
Stress is often part of work, especially these days when most people are having more pressure put on them. I know that my former colleagues are expected to do more and more and I'm glad I have retired and feel a lot more relaxed.

Reactions: 2 people

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm not a healthcare professional but found switching from citalopram to duloxatine that my dawn phenomenon decreased!?