Stress & Type 2 Diabetes

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
There seems to be new trend, that reached levels of fanatical faith on this forum, that all carbs are as bad as sugars. Even though the conventional (old) diabetic diet does not consider carbs that bad.
I am not disputing that claim. I will be lowering by carbs too to see if it helps.
@Mike Sixx ,
With respect I feel aggrieved that you use the phrase 'fanatical faith'.
There is only fact as measured by our Blood Glucose levels and our Lipid profile readings etc. Absolutely no faith involved whatsoever!

For me this is the craziest part of the conventional medical/dietetics argument: It can all be easily disproved (and has been disproved countless times) with just a Type 2 Diabetic and a Blood Glucose meter or by the T2 2yr LCHF remission rate (50%) and the reduction in spending on Diabetes medication at Dr David Unwin's surgery - all UK National Health Service verified! See @lowcarbgp, @Debanddez to mention just 2 of our Low Carb sub Forum members.
Yet still the orthodoxy peddle the same lies and same way of eating that got us into this state in the first place!

I can't remember the origin of the quote or the exact words, but it goes something like this:
It is always most difficult to accept new (or in this case old) information, when your job depends upon it being false!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mike Sixx ,
With respect I feel aggrieved that you use the phrase 'fanatical faith'.
There is only fact as measured by our Blood Glucose levels and our Lipid profile readings etc. Absolutely no faith involved whatsoever!

For me this is the craziest part of the conventional medical/dietetics argument: It can all be easily disproved (and has been disproved countless times) with just a Type 2 Diabetic and a Blood Glucose meter or by the T2 2yr LCHF remission rate (50%) and the reduction in spending on Diabetes medication at Dr David Unwin's surgery - all UK National Health Service verified! See @lowcarbgp, @Debanddez to mention just 2 of our Low Carb sub Forum members.
Yet still the orthodoxy peddle the same lies and same way of eating that got us into this state in the first place!

I can't remember the origin of the quote or the exact words, but it goes something like this:
It is always most difficult to accept new (or in this case old) information, when your job depends upon it being false!

Fully Agree.

@Mike Sixx
Carbs are what we are intolerant of,
so it's not that all carbs are BAD.
but for all of us, it IS the fact
TOO many carbs ARE Bad..

because TOO Many carbs ARE the issue...for all T2D's
(depending upon the individual, THAT level of acceptableness may differ, )

when i look at my meals back then i could easily see me at 500+ carbs a day
now i try not to breach 30g a meal (2mad) so i have cut back yet still eat well.
and my Numbers all round, HBA1c, bloods, HDL, LDL, trigs are all much better.

So while some go Keto, (sub 20g) others run at higher levels
so we are not out with pitchforks chasing all carbs,
but to add unnecessary amounts of extra carbs into a diet and label it 'Diabetic friendly'
just defies logic, and should be called out, imho.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually don’t think I was caning the carbs that badly. I’d cut added sugar nearly 10 years earlier and never much liked pasta and rice etc and didn’t eat a great deal of bread. I was overweight but not obese.

I see the need to reduce carbs to an extreme level compared to the non diabetic public as the only option available to reduce my insulin resistance/insulin levels and blood glucose levels whatever caused it. If someone comes up with alternatives to sort out the insulin resistance feeling the process then I’m all ears. Til then no (few) carbs.

And for the record @Mike Sixx sugars are carbs, admittedly a fast one to break down but still just a carb. And conventional diabetes diets don’t seem to be helping those people that follow them much does it?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose I believe that my meters are telling me the truth about my blood glucose, but it hardly comes into the fanatical - it is what it is.
I suspect that so much scorn has been heaped on anyone trying to explain that it is the carbs which are the problem that it seems to many that it just has to be wrong.

Mike Sixx

I am not saying anyone is wrong about carbs, I was just ONLY saying a lot of people seem to have ... ... a very strong opinion on them.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am not saying anyone is wrong about carbs, I was just ONLY saying a lot of people seem to have ... ... a very strong opinion on them.
Mike,
There is a big difference between a strong opinion and ' fanatical faith'. Our strong opinions are based upon the absolute truth (for us) which is demonstrated several times per day based upon what we see on our Blood Glucose Meters.

Now it is possible that for somebody else that is not a truth - if their body reacts differently to Carbs. We are all different in our total carb tolerance and even the types of carbs which affect us most. I have even heard people say that they controlled their BG without cutting down on carbs - but later admitting that they still went from a High Carb diet to a Moderate Carb one!

I'm prepared to accept that other Type 2's have very littler intolerance to carbs, but what I can't ever accept is somebody else telling me that my perceived intolerance to carbs is mistaken! I know what I see and it fits all the scientific theory that I understand. As opposed to the crazy stance of conventional medicine which can't even survive a common sense review!

Mike Sixx

With every justification.
I agree. Again;
all I was trying saying is there are people who are "extremely enthusiastic" about the subject. I never made made any claim or even insinuation that it was not valid enthusiasm.
I am very interested in that subject. It is just that the message is a bit overwhelming, specially when looking for help on a problem not directly relating to carbs.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Again;
all I was trying saying is there are people who are "extremely enthusiastic" about the subject. I never made made any claim or even insinuation that it was not valid enthusiasm.
I am very interested in that subject. It is just that the message is a bit overwhelming, specially when looking for help on a problem not directly relating to carbs.
The wording you chose, “fanatical “ does have implications associated with unjustified and negative blind faith. Perhaps not how you meant it but still it’s there. Think of the strange and extreme cults and how the word gets applied to them!
And on here a lot of problems do relate back to the diabetes (oddly enough ) and that does link back to controlling it, thus back to carbs.

Yep I get when new it can be overwhelming, but it’s fundamental to type 2 unless and until science finds a better more effective way that works for as many as this does.