Stressed Mum

mumtolewis

Hi Everybody

My son Lewis who is 8 was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 5weeks ago. Lewis already has Scoliosos and wears a back brace for 23hrs a day.When diabetes was confirmed i felt like my world had ended, I still feel that way today We are finding life really hard just now i feel that we have lost the carefree side to life. always looking for signs of a hypo etc. testing blood administering injections.Lewis though just takes it all in his stride. All i do is cry and feel like life has dealt us another blow! i really shouldnt feel like this as people have much worse to contend with. Somehow i feel its all my fault. Does it become easier?

Sorry for the rant,
Kind Regards
Janette xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jannette & Lewis.
Welcome to the Forum.

I think at times many of the Mom's and Dad's have felt the same as you, however in due course you can bet your life you will find them answering your post and offering great support and advice from their own experiences. Yes, it does get better, listen to the good people here. :)

Feel free to rant anytime you like.......there is usually somebody around. :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi

we have all felt like that at the begining dont worry things do become easier with time i promise, and as they stabilise u arnt constantly looking for things u see them without looking half the time or i do anyway i can usually guess whether dylan is high, low or in perfect range from what hes eaten or what exercise hes done of course i always check with a meter but we have a game dylan tests and i guess high low or perfect hes always astounded how many i get right :lol:

it takes alot to get used to living with diabetes but u have other things to deal with on top of that just take one day at a time and before u know it u will be a diabetes expert, ask anything u want to here and someone will have dealt with it so welcome to the family :D

anna marie

annettekp

Hi

Anna Marie is right and we all felt like that in the beginning. Its such a lot to take on board all at once, someone suggested to me that it was a vertical learning curve!

It will get easier, I promise. And its not your fault, nothing you could do would have stopped this.

This forum is brilliant and there is a lot of help and expertise around. So feel free to ask and rant as you need to.

Annette

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Janette, I can completely understand that you're feeling stressed. As the others have already said it's a lot to take on board and learn in the early days, you have the added factor of another condition to cope with too. The diabetes will become easier to deal with in time as you get a better understanding of how it all works. The first few weeks or months are the worst with so much to learn and get used to. It's good to have this forum for support and advice from other parents dealing with the same thing so never be afraid to ask questions or simply log in to have a chat/rant. :D

leggott

I'm sorry to hear about your son.

I'm sure you are having a bad time of it right now and it seems like life can be so unkind at times. But, like others have said, it does get easier over time and although you may feel that you have a mountain to climb, you will get there.

My children were diagnosed within a day of each other. I was in shock for the first week or two and went through all the usual emotions like anger, sadness and why us? But now, life is pretty normal just in a different way. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with the whole thing, but I can see that my children lead a care free life (which is all that matters) and they just get on with it.

I'm sure that you will find this forum very helpful. There are lots of parents including myself who normally log in at least once a day, so you should find that any questions you have are answered swiftly.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I know how you feel about getting extra on top of what you are already finding difficult. I was shattered when I was told Khaleb had Down syndrome, destroyed when he got diabetes and a bit over a year ago he also lost his thyroid function to auto-immune disease. I've been getting hints that they suspect he is hearing impaired.

Somehow I deal with the grief and keep going but some days are easier than others.

Diabetes is certainly what takes up many of my day to day thoughts as everything we do has to have those needs considered. I keep a day bag packed all the time so unless we do something that is out of the ordinary I always have enough stuff with me.

Anyway, It's okay to cry - better than bottling it all up. It isn't your fault. I think as a parent I feel responsible for the genetics I passed on to my child but I also have another child who fits in with his peers just fine.

Rubyx

Hi, my son ( who was six at the time) was diagnosed 5 years ago now. I does get a little better. My son goes on trips and injects himself and can do some carb counting etc and i have sent him away on school trips where they are away for 3/4 days. He is lively, intelligent and pretty normal. I'm still stressed because i can't get his HBA down.