Stressy mother...

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all, my 13yr old son is 3 weeks into his diagnosis and just had a hypo at 3.1. Soaked in sweat and shaky and making no sense. Treated with glucose tabs followed by wetabix and banana. Does this sound about right? Did I over react? His sugar levels are starting to come down but after 3 weeks still floating between 9 and 17 as a rule, and he tends to feel a bit dodgy at around 4 which has only happened a couple of times. I wonder if he should be settling more by now? He then calm as a cucumber took his nightime Lantus saying that as it was slow acting it would not be a problem whilst I am having a silent freakout thinking surely he shouldn't be putting more insulin in? I made him retest 30 mins later and it had gone back to 9. Brain hurts!:nailbiting:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Sam,

There's a lot to take in when first diagnosed, so try not to stress too much.

If he feels dodgy at around 4 then that's good as he's got hypo awareness, so best to eat a biscuit or 2 at this reading. When treating hypo your method sounds good, either treat with glucotabs, Apple juice or jelly babies as these are quick sugar fixes then some carbs so bag of crisps, a few biscuits that type of thing, try not to over treat as he will end up going high again. Taking slow acting is ok too as he's said it is a slow release and he needs to take this. Here's an important question though do you know why he hypo'd ? Was it too much insulin ? It's good to find this out to help prevent them.

Keep posting queries too on here if your unsure, there's plenty of people to help ;)

Reactions: 2 people

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks JuicyJ

He didn't eat much dinner (my cooking is slightly on the shocking side at the best of times) and we had a bit of a stressful day at the funeral of a close friend so perhaps it all combined? Fortunately, apart from a couple of meltdowns, he has taken to this and seems to have a much better grasp of it all than I do. He takes 8 units with meals and 16 Lantus at night. He has been taught how to do corrections (maths :confused:) and has done this a couple of times but not recently. I have been letting him make the decisions and just been discreetly double checking. He is a 'by-the-book' boy and is following his instructions to the letter so think it is important that he knows I trust him with this, despite what my inner control freak says :watching:

oh, and I have discovered the smilies!:D

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds as if you have a really great kid! Hang in there. It will get easier.

Reactions: 4 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam
It could be the honeymoon period which is when newly diagnosed T1s pancreas will continue to chug along for a few months before eventually giving up the ghost. This can make control a bit harder as he may still be erratically producing his own insulin. As mentioned above it is best to treat with fast acting things like glucose or jelly babies and then follow up with slower release carbs. Try not to over treat as this will result in correction doses and make control harder.
Just a point though I think levels between 9 and 17 are too high for long term. At this point it is fine as it is early days but long term they need to come down.
Hope this is of some help and good luck going forward.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think he and you did the right thing. Is your son carb-counting yet? If sounds like he is taking a fixed dose of Rapid for meals? Do discuss carb-counting with the DN as this provides better control and flexibility with eating. Your son sounds very sensible so should take to carb-counting very easily. My DN explained it to me in 10 minutes and gave me a Roche leaflet with pictures of plates of different foods and their carb content; the web has similar info. Getting the insulin balance right always starts with the Basal (Lantus) and my DN told me to aim for a fasting level of between 5 - 7mmol. When this is roughly right then you try to get the Bolus (Rapid) ratio right for carb-counting by typically starting with a ratio of one unit to 10gm carbs. Do seek the guidance of the DN and use the meter frequently at least until you learn your son's diabetes profile.

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. We are not carb counting yet - think we need to move to this sooner rather than later; need to call the DN I think :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
It would be in your sons best future interests to discuss
all of this with his DSN or GP .

He possibly needs a more suited insulin regime and advice on hypo awareness
and treatment for you both too - would greatly benefit you both .

It must be very worrying and certainly stressful for you currently .

A more structured routine to work from will inspire more confidence
into you both .

Reactions: 3 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @SamSam26,

I am the mother of a son who was diagnosed in his teens twenty years ago. You can never know how your son feels his diabetes.but you will soon begin to recognise signs that his blood glucose (BG) levels are going low. You said that he recognises when he is low so he should act on that feeling immediately with some fast acting glucose or jelly babies. As others have said don't over treat a hypo. After the initial hypo remedy (and this is the hardest part) wait 15 or 20 minutes then take a meter reading to see if his BG is on the up. Personally I take about 30 minutes before I see a BG rise.

When your son is heading for a hypo his mood may change. He may be irritable or impatient. His eyes may look different. His hands may be cold and clammy. His neck and forehead may be hot and sweaty. I do not suggest you start touching his face or hands but try to recognise the more subtle visual changes. My son tells me that my pupils dilate when I am heading for a hypo but I do already know and am treating it!.

There is an awful lot of information to get your head around. Twenty years ago we didn't have the internet to help but now, there are reams of advice through our virtual window on the world of information. Be aware that you take information from Type One diabetics and especially those who also have experience of childhood diabetes.

Best wishes,

A

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You are doing really well, it will take time to adjust, it's an awful lot to take in, especially the initial shock and worry. But try not to worry too much, I'm sure he will lead a very happy and an active life. 'We rule diabetes, it doesn't rule us' :)

Make sure you look after yourself too, your boy sounds like a very sensible lad :)

Good luck and all the best

RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello all, my 13yr old son is 3 weeks into his diagnosis and just had a hypo at 3.1. Soaked in sweat and shaky and making no sense. Treated with glucose tabs followed by wetabix and banana. Does this sound about right? Did I over react? :nailbiting:

No you didn't overreact, hypo's are scary both for the person who is having one and their loved ones watching on. Your boy will learn over time how much fast-acting glucose he needs to treat a hypo, however as strange as this may sound it is good that he has had his first hypo as he will be aware of what to look out for in future with regards to the hypo symptoms, report back to his diabetes team about his bg levels and they will advise further on adjusting his insulin levels. Good luck.

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @SamSam26,

I am the mother of a son who was diagnosed in his teens twenty years ago. You can never know how your son feels his diabetes.but you will soon begin to recognise signs that his blood glucose (BG) levels are going low. You said that he recognises when he is low so he should act on that feeling immediately with some fast acting glucose or jelly babies. As others have said don't over treat a hypo. After the initial hypo remedy (and this is the hardest part) wait 15 or 20 minutes then take a meter reading to see if his BG is on the up. Personally I take about 30 minutes before I see a BG rise.

When your son is heading for a hypo his mood may change. He may be irritable or impatient. His eyes may look different. His hands may be cold and clammy. His neck and forehead may be hot and sweaty. I do not suggest you start touching his face or hands but try to recognise the more subtle visual changes. My son tells me that my pupils dilate when I am heading for a hypo but I do already know and am treating it!.

There is an awful lot of information to get your head around. Twenty years ago we didn't have the internet to help but now, there are reams of advice through our virtual window on the world of information. Be aware that you take information from Type One diabetics and especially those who also have experience of childhood diabetes.

Best wishes,

A
Thank you Ambresilva :D

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
You are doing really well, it will take time to adjust, it's an awful lot to take in, especially the initial shock and worry. But try not to worry too much, I'm sure he will lead a very happy and an active life. 'We rule diabetes, it doesn't rule us' :)

Make sure you look after yourself too, your boy sounds like a very sensible lad :)

Good luck and all the best

RRB
Thank you RRB - support much appreciated :)