Stroke.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello,
In June 2004 my 33 year old mother had a mini stroke and was sent to hospital but basically dismissed with no medication etc and then in January 2005 she had a massive stroke which killed her :( She was so healthy, only ever drank water etc, was quite active. But she always suffered with migraines. 10 years on and for the past year or so I have been suffering with migraines so much, I am type 1 diabetic too and it is just so frustrating :( I am going to the Doctor's next week but I was just wondering can I get help and be prevented from the same thing happening to me?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are different types of stroke Nicola and each have several different causes. You should ask a doctor about your mums type and if you are at the same risk. I know it is one of those things you are bound to think about but it is pointless worrying about it without knowing more about it.

D

Deleted member 83869

That is true I guess, I think my Dad said years ago that she had a clot in her neck, or is that the case with all strokes? I just worry too much!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No that is one type of stroke, an ischaemic stroke, and the clot is just one of the things that can cause it. Air bubbles, fat globules and other blockages can cause the same type of stroke. They all stop the blood getting to the brain. It is nothing to do with anything going on in the brain. All the usual things like poor diet and smoking increase the risk of this type of stroke and the usual indicators are things like blood pressure.

But, you should ask a doctor. If migraine is a problem, ask him about that. My daughter suffers from migraines and sees the doctor about them.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicola!

So sorry to hear what happened to your mum and at such a young age.

Migraines are very scary because of the intense pain they give, but they are almost always harmless. I've suffered from migraines for about 25 years since my early 20s. They often run in families and have many different triggers. They are very common, especially in women as they are often connected to changing hormones. It is probably just coincidental that your mum suffered from them. It does not mean they were connected with her dying and it does not mean you will have a stroke.

Go and talk over your fears with a doctor. Is your Dad still around? Maybe you could talk to him about your fears and ask him all the things you need to know in relation to your mum's condition.

Take care

Smidge

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola!

So sorry to hear what happened to your mum and at such a young age.

Migraines are very scary because of the intense pain they give, but they are almost always harmless. I've suffered from migraines for about 25 years since my early 20s. They often run in families and have many different triggers. They are very common, especially in women as they are often connected to changing hormones. It is probably just coincidental that your mum suffered from them. It does not mean they were connected with her dying and it does not mean you will have a stroke.

Go and talk over your fears with a doctor. Is your Dad still around? Maybe you could talk to him about your fears and ask him all the things you need to know in relation to your mum's condition.

Take care

Smidge

Hello,

Thank you, and its okay. I guess not I just worry too much! And have heard they was connected, so I just assumed that could have been the reason. Yes my Dad is still around but it's not an easy subject to talk about, as I dont really talk to him as much, I think maybe my Doctor will know as she has known me since I was little, so I guess that is worth a try!

Thank you

And you take care too :)

D

Deleted member 83869

No that is one type of stroke, an ischaemic stroke, and the clot is just one of the things that can cause it. Air bubbles, fat globules and other blockages can cause the same type of stroke. They all stop the blood getting to the brain. It is nothing to do with anything going on in the brain. All the usual things like poor diet and smoking increase the risk of this type of stroke and the usual indicators are things like blood pressure.

But, you should ask a doctor. If migraine is a problem, ask him about that. My daughter suffers from migraines and sees the doctor about them.

She was the healthiest person I knew!! So I don't know and ah, does your daughter get treatment for them then?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She was the healthiest person I knew!! So I don't know and ah, does your daughter get treatment for them then?

Yes, they do take migraine seriously and they do more than just say take 'two asprin and go to bed'.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry to hear you lost your mum so early. My dad had his first stroke when I was already grown up or at least in my late teens. He spent three years in a home and died when I was 22.

My husband had a stroke when he was 48 but recovered well, apart from being partially blind and have difficulties with words. He also contracted epilepsy due to the brain damage and the side effects of his meds are difficult to cope with as his Drs prefers to put them them all down to remaining effects of his stroke.

My dad had blood clots while hubby had brain haemorrhage. Both are called stroke.

Was she diabetic? High blood glucose seems to be the major risk factor for stroke and heart disease, along with high blood pressure. Even high-normal bg levels are a risk.

Alcohol or at least red wine, olive oil and nuts are protective, probably also fermented dairy like yoghurt and cheese and that applies to the full-fat versions. What you want to avoid are most vegetable oils, margarine, sugar and carbs in general.

Friends of mine treat migraines successfully with beta blockers.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
It's definitely worth taking this up with your doctor. Even if they don't think you're at risk of a stroke, they might be able to help out with any anxiety this is causing you. It's understandable that you may have lost some faith in healthcare given the situation with your mum being dismissed with no aftercare or checkups, but it's also very important that you be proactive in taking care of your own health.

I feel your pain with the migraines - I suffer horribly with them when low pressure weather comes about (the kind that brings mild temperatures, storms and rain usually) and would have never known this if I hadn't started keeping a journal of when they occur. To help yourself and your doctor, it might be worth doing the same. Look around online for what things can possibly trigger migraines such as food, weather, stress etc. and just keep a log of those things when you do get a migraine.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I hope it all goes well at the Dr's NicolaAnne and you get the answers you are looking for, take care!!!

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nicola,

I had a stroke when I was 38. It looked like ischaemic stroke on the MRI, but after they'd ruled out all the usual causes (smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, cocaine, PFO, etc) they gave me a diagnosis of migrainous infarct, or migraine stroke. These are thought to be caused by a prolonged aura in classical migraine, i.e,. if you have the kind of migraine that starts with weird visual disturbances, and this stage goes on too long, it can cause an artery in the brain to contract so that no blood can get through. Although this is different from an ischaemic stroke, where the artery is blocked by a blood clot, it looks the same.

Ten years on, I'm lucky and haven't had another stroke. The best advice I can give is:
-stay thin
-stay active
-don't smoke (these three are general advice)
-avoid BG swings
-don't use contraceptive pills - they are contraindicated if you have migraine with aura, but not all GPs realise this
-take co-enzyme Q10: this helped me by lowering my fasting BG and lessening my migraine frequency, but YMMV
-try to de-stress; I gave up my job as a corporate lawyer

Do ask if there's anything else I can answer.

Kate

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kate's point about contraceptive pill is really important. I was taken off it as soon as I was diagnosed with migraine - although I have common migraine rather than classic migraine - the one without the aura. Mine is treated with imigran which is really effective - it does have its own risks so is worth discussing with your doctor to see if it's suitable for you.

Smidge

D

Deleted member 83869

Kate's point about contraceptive pill is really important. I was taken off it as soon as I was diagnosed with migraine - although I have common migraine rather than classic migraine - the one without the aura. Mine is treated with imigran which is really effective - it does have its own risks so is worth discussing with your doctor to see if it's suitable for you.

Smidge
Hello I am on the pill, I am micronor! So they will take me off it then i guess?

D

Deleted member 83869

I am sorry to hear you lost your mum so early. My dad had his first stroke when I was already grown up or at least in my late teens. He spent three years in a home and died when I was 22.

My husband had a stroke when he was 48 but recovered well, apart from being partially blind and have difficulties with words. He also contracted epilepsy due to the brain damage and the side effects of his meds are difficult to cope with as his Drs prefers to put them them all down to remaining effects of his stroke.

My dad had blood clots while hubby had brain haemorrhage. Both are called stroke.

Was she diabetic? High blood glucose seems to be the major risk factor for stroke and heart disease, along with high blood pressure. Even high-normal bg levels are a risk.

Alcohol or at least red wine, olive oil and nuts are protective, probably also fermented dairy like yoghurt and cheese and that applies to the full-fat versions. What you want to avoid are most vegetable oils, margarine, sugar and carbs in general.

Friends of mine treat migraines successfully with beta blockers.

Hello, No she wasn't diabetic, and she ate so healthily so I do not know ;/

D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola,

I had a stroke when I was 38. It looked like ischaemic stroke on the MRI, but after they'd ruled out all the usual causes (smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, cocaine, PFO, etc) they gave me a diagnosis of migrainous infarct, or migraine stroke. These are thought to be caused by a prolonged aura in classical migraine, i.e,. if you have the kind of migraine that starts with weird visual disturbances, and this stage goes on too long, it can cause an artery in the brain to contract so that no blood can get through. Although this is different from an ischaemic stroke, where the artery is blocked by a blood clot, it looks the same.

Ten years on, I'm lucky and haven't had another stroke. The best advice I can give is:
-stay thin
-stay active
-don't smoke (these three are general advice)
-avoid BG swings
-don't use contraceptive pills - they are contraindicated if you have migraine with aura, but not all GPs realise this
-take co-enzyme Q10: this helped me by lowering my fasting BG and lessening my migraine frequency, but YMMV
-try to de-stress; I gave up my job as a corporate lawyer

Do ask if there's anything else I can answer.

Kate

Also I am trying so hard to lose weight but failing! :( Help?

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is treated with imigran which is really effective - it does have its own risks so is worth discussing with your doctor to see if it's suitable for you.
Imigran worked for me, too: I used to inject it as soon as a migraine started. But after I had my stroke they took me off it because apparently it increases stroke risk! Now I just take Ibuprofen or Naproxen.
Kate

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I am trying so hard to lose weight but failing! :( Help?
I can't tell you from personal experience as I've never had to lose weight, but low carb, which I do to control blood sugar, works for many to lose weight too.

D

Deleted member 83869

I can't tell you from personal experience as I've never had to lose weight, but low carb, which I do to control blood sugar, works for many to lose weight too.

Oh okay ermmm any tasty low carb meals?