ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
That is the reason I refused the offer of one, I was still in my early forties and struggling with a life changing diagnosis (not Diabetes). It was all due to denial and embarrassment but looking back I wish I had accepted every aid that the OT offered. Instead I struggled for the following five years until I had no choice but to ask for these aids but by then I just wasn't strong enough to use them so I had set myself back a bit. The longer you stay on feet the stronger you are so don't worry about how things look, see these aids for what they are which is a way to keep your independance and quality of life. Hopefully you will get an OT who is as good as mine, her greatest attribute is that she really does listen.
I am almost 56 but I must hobble like a 95 year old lol

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am almost 56 but I must hobble like a 95 year old lol

Lol I used to joke that I was a forty year old but felt every hour of a seventy year old! Onwards and upwards, lass xx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am just hoping OT will help
Ally, you are entitled to get the help and support you need.
I haven't yet met an OT I haven't liked. They do want to help. In fact, some want to give you more aids and equipment than you have room for. I would see what they come up with, but don't be shy of saying what you believe your needs are.

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
What a week for you @ally1 , and it's still only Wednesday. I'm so glad the physio was receptive to you and is referring you on inside their system.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the OTs made a massive difference to my parents' lives as they respectively became infirm. Your issues are very, very different to either of them, but the OTs are just so creative, and if you are offered a home visit, grasp it with both hands. They will have dealt with people with issues like yours before and have insights into what will help you.

Some of the things they gave Mum, she didn't think she needed, but when she got them, she tried them and realised they made things so much easier. I don't use the aids Mum had, but I stole a couple of their ideas and use them myself - things like using a steamer basket in the saucepan when cooking vegetables, meaning to drain the veg, I lift our the steamer and can pour the bouling water away when it's cooler.

I hope you have another good night's sleep tonight and you're not waiting for the OT appointment too long.

Go Ally! At long last you're getting some of the support you need.
Thank you.
I do hope they contact me soon and will be able to help.
I am so over whelmed by everyone's lovely messages.
I posted this thread because if the struggles I have hoping anyone else in a similar or same postion, that it helps them seek help

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally, you are entitled to get the help and support you need.
I haven't yet met an OT I haven't liked. They do want to help. In fact, some want to give you more aids and equipment than you have room for. I would see what they come up with, but don't be shy of saying what you believe your needs are.
Thank you

Reactions: Pipp

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really pleased things are starting to happen for you. Hope OT comes up trumps for you. You deserve it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Am just hoping OT will help
They must be planning on some options for you otherwise they wouldn't have been given a referral hun.
I'm sure they can assist somehow like posters above have said what different equipment they can issue for you.

I know my crutch isn't perfect but with ibuprofen my muscle aches from using it aren't as bad.
My balance has improved on pregabalin for my numb toe. I'm very pleased with its help. Maybe more gabapentin will help with yours. It's taken over a month to get it's real affect thou so be patient hun.
I'm finding worth the wait. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you.
I agree that a trolley thing is better then keep falling over
Ive seen some good assets. One had a trolley for shopping in the front. At my Xmas time shopping I wished I had one as shops were so busy for motorised buggy and all shopping centre chairs were full so no where to sit to take inhaler.
A relative had a trolley and it doubled up as a seat so she could walk to library. And back. The library didn't last as long as her. It's houses now. She used her seat regularly and no pressure to do any other. It beats me having to sit on wet walls to walk, that's for sure. I've started sitting on empty carrier bags to protect my coat from the wet, sometimes dirty wall.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
They must be planning on some options for you otherwise they wouldn't have been given a referral hun.
I'm sure they can assist somehow like posters above have said what different equipment they can issue for you.

I know my crutch isn't perfect but with ibuprofen my muscle aches from using it aren't as bad.
My balance has improved on pregabalin for my numb toe. I'm very pleased with its help. Maybe more gabapentin will help with yours. It's taken over a month to get it's real affect thou so be patient hun.
I'm finding worth the wait. :)
I just hope I hear fairly soon. I know they are very busy people. I am just not a patient person lol.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ive seen some good assets. One had a trolley for shopping in the front. At my Xmas time shopping I wished I had one as shops were so busy for motorised buggy and all shopping centre chairs were full so no where to sit to take inhaler.
A relative had a trolley and it doubled up as a seat so she could walk to library. And back. The library didn't last as long as her. It's houses now. She used her seat regularly and no pressure to do any other. It beats me having to sit on wet walls to walk, that's for sure. I've started sitting on empty carrier bags to protect my coat from the wet, sometimes dirty wall.
I have recently have had to just sit on the pavements because if I do an"t then I knew I would fall over, not the best thing to do especially if wet or God forbid that a dog had piddled lol

Reactions: donnellysdogs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just hope I hear fairly soon. I know they are very busy people. I am just not a patient person lol.

Oh Ally - I think you've been extremely patient through all of this and dealt with it all with dignity.

If you ever need to see an impatient person, pop around and see me!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh Ally - I think you've been extremely patient through all of this and dealt with it all with dignity.

If you ever need to see an impatient person, pop around and see me!
If you can see me now, you will be surprised. At the moment I am like a bear with a sore head. Am very impatient now lol

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you received your phone call @ally1?

So much going on my end. Sorry I haven't asked sooner.

If no call I'd write it off and make sure OT has an appointment booked for you. Give them a call if no appointment date yet?
OT will be more useful, at mo.

Do you still see physio or did they say discharged to OT?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Have you received your phone call @ally1?

So much going on my end. Sorry I haven't asked sooner.

If no call I'd write it off and make sure OT has an appointment booked for you. Give them a call if no appointment date yet?
OT will be more useful, at mo.

Do you still see physio or did they say discharged to OT?
I have heard nothing yet from OT or about the balance test.
Physio did say she couldn,t help me.
Going by when I saw the physio last September, she referred me for a balance test, I heard 6 weeks later saying I Don, t need the balance test.