Struggling to cope with type 1 diabetes

Becks33

Hi, many member's know of the dark place, myself included and many have visited, but it's not somewhere we wish to remain.
Keep your chin up and try to think positively, I know it can be very hard, but with help and support, I hope the future will be a brighter place for you x

I absolutely and totally am riddled in this dark place at the moment , are you alright now? How is your diabetes? Thank you for your message I will keep positive

Reactions: endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It's a Continuous Glucose monitoring device. It is attached to your upper arm and you use a small device to scan your BS and the reading and you can see trends that are taking place. I am on a 2 week trial of the Libre and I love it, but it has to go back on Thursday, then I will discuss the usage with my DSN, plus a 2 day food diary, so hopefully I get a permanent one at the end of June at my hospital, I can't wait.
Hello there

Yes this reply was for you sorry I’m just getting used to this new website!

Yes I understand that they want me to take one step at a time all of this can be very overwhelming.

I have had my runs ins with the team and my family there supporting me I am now seen twice a week and I will take all the help that’s possible because I’m living in total fear at the moment I’m guessing this is normal for people with type 1 diabetes it really is such a task to control and ontop with the complications that can happen

I’m delighted to hear you have no complications that’s absolutely brilliant how long have you had diabetes?

I’m so excited to get on this course and learn more and start moving forward.

Do you ever feel like you don’t get a break? Never let my hair down or relax at the moment for now anyway very tense and nervous all the time I’m going to join yoga to try and relax the mind

I saw you hadn't made many posts and thought so! No problem :)

The fear will always be there ....but not the way it is now. Once you get settled and balanced you will think less of diabetes than you are now, fear it less. Sure, it is always going to be there and it will always need your 100% concentration on the moments it demands but it can fade away at times. This 'now' won't always be the present.

I've had diabetes for 21 years now. My mum is on target to hit her 41st 'diaversary' in August and my aunt, her sister, is going strong at 57 years. I have brittle diabetes (reacts a lot to things others don't) as does my aunt. My aunt has had eye surgery like you but regained her licence and still bobs about her town in her wee Ka. Mum has had no complications what so ever in over 40 years. Normal is doable and so is recovery. My fam shows me that every day :D

Sometimes I feel that way and then I stop worrying and then I DO and then I DON'T. It comes and goes. Sometimes having such a diabetic family helps and sometimes it really doesn't. (I have two t1 uncles too!) I rant on twitter a lot and my blog.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there ,

I wouldn’t say I was very wild , but I enjoyed life (whist ignoring the diabetes) which I’m hugely regretting now and I’m just in such a dark place I can’t seem to enjoy life like I used to I’m living life in total fear at the moment.

Wow that sounds painful is that a result of your diabetes? How is it now are you better??

I smoke aswell and right now I’m smoking a lot due to the stress I’m in just wanted to reach out to other people with diabetes too thank you for your reply !

Hi,

Rock & roll.. But you do realise the cigs are a "stimulant" a little like coffee. They don't relieve the stress. It's a "ritual."
No judgment, just experience. (I've tried a few things.)

The treatment worked well. BG control is always a plus. (Easier said than done. I know.)
Keep talking. You will not be judged on my watch. Just (hopfully) practical help for you. :)

I still like to "rock out." But it's all about practical balance with the condition.
I'm just over twice your age, but there can still be hope & a life. I've been active (& still am) in metal bands for years...

I was recently "discharged" from official treatment. But the eye monitoring is ongoing...

Take your time, ask questions. (None are too silly.) I'm confident you will be fantastic!

Becks33

I absolutely and totally am riddled in this dark place at the moment , are you alright now? How is your diabetes? Thank you for your message I will keep positive
I saw you hadn't made many posts and thought so! No problem :)

The fear will always be there ....but not the way it is now. Once you get settled and balanced you will think less of diabetes than you are now, fear it less. Sure, it is always going to be there and it will always need your 100% concentration on the moments it demands but it can fade away at times. This 'now' won't always be the present.

I've had diabetes for 21 years now. My mum is on target to hit her 41st 'diaversary' in August and my aunt, her sister, is going strong at 57 years. I have brittle diabetes (reacts a lot to things others don't) as does my aunt. My aunt has had eye surgery like you but regained her licence and still bobs about her town in her wee Ka. Mum has had no complications what so ever in over 40 years. Normal is doable and so is recovery. My fam shows me that every day :D

Sometimes I feel that way and then I stop worrying and then I DO and then I DON'T. It comes and goes. Sometimes having such a diabetic family helps and sometimes it really doesn't. (I have two t1 uncles too!) I rant on twitter a lot and my blog.

My understanding is like when you first pass your driving test or while your learning you think about your every move and then once you get the hang of it it becomes like second nature! That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

21 years wow with no complications? And your family too?? This is amazing really gives me hope and confidence that I will be ok hearing stories like these , that’s so inspiring your mother doing fantastic, it must be easier living with a family with people who are diabetic because one thing is I’m sick of my family telling me ‘ don’t eat chocolate and do your sugars’ it’s draining trying to explain so that must help!

Diaversay haha that tickled

Do you live the life you want to? Work? Drive? Holidays? Parties? Gym? Or whatever you do? I’m just curious because I feel so restricted from what I really want to do

Becks33

Hi,

Rock & roll.. But you do realise the cigs are a "stimulant" a little like coffee. They don't relieve the stress. It's a "ritual."
No judgment, just experience. (I've tried a few things.)

The treatment worked well. BG control is always a plus. (Easier said than done. I know.)
Keep talking. You will not be judged on my watch. Just (hopfully) practical help for you. :)

I still like to "rock out." But it's all about practical balance with the condition.
I'm just over twice your age, but there can still be hope & a life. I've been active (& still am) in metal bands for years...

I was recently "discharged" from official treatment. But the eye monitoring is ongoing...

Take your time, ask questions. (None are too silly.) I'm confident you will be fantastic!

Yes the cigarettes are my enemy they really are but sometimes I head to the cigarettes hard aswell when I feel hopeless yano. I definitely want to give them up!

When you say rock out does that mean you have a party every now and then?

What do you mean discharged from treatment? Have you got frequent appointments with the eye clinics??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @Becks33
all the good advice has been given..........i will just add that i have been t1d 46 years ,, have some eye issues but keeping positive , focusing on today , and taking things 1 step at a time are the best things you can do............you cant erase the past but you can change the future .........

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
My understanding is like when you first pass your driving test or while your learning you think about your every move and then once you get the hang of it it becomes like second nature! That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

21 years wow with no complications? And your family too?? This is amazing really gives me hope and confidence that I will be ok hearing stories like these , that’s so inspiring your mother doing fantastic, it must be easier living with a family with people who are diabetic because one thing is I’m sick of my family telling me ‘ don’t eat chocolate and do your sugars’ it’s draining trying to explain so that must help!

Diaversay haha that tickled

Do you live the life you want to? Work? Drive? Holidays? Parties? Gym? Or whatever you do? I’m just curious because I feel so restricted from what I really want to do

Basically. If all goes well haha. It makes me sad that you've had D so long but are only now hearing these stories. You are going to do everything you want to do to!

When I was a teen mum and I clashed a lot. I wanted to try my way and she had hers, literally! As I got older we have learned to live together with it ('I'm still at home). There is less 'don't eat that' and more 'have you tried this thing my nurse told me'..'well no cause my nurse hasn't heard of it'.

But for the most part we have each other's back.

Diaversary is a pretty common term online. We celebrate the day we were diagnosed like birthdays. We're still here, still fighting. I WANT those medals my aunt has for having it so long and I am determined to get them.

Mmmm partly. I got my BA in history despite diabetes making me take a 3 year gap. I didn't get the result I wanted so never went on to MA level but I am still proud of what I did. I'm signed off with mental health right now but mostly I am happy with my retail job. I don't drive because I am too anxious. It has nothing to do with my diabetes. Just. Clutch. Biting point. WHAT.

No thanks.

I went on holiday with my best friend to Australia and New Zealand for 6 weeks all in.. All my diabetic **** and mental health pills too! We did one end of the country to the other. Hugged baby kangaroos and went to the hobbit villages. I needed more rests than others did but I had a bestie more than happy to order a bottle of wine and get our kindles out when needed. I've partied. I've run treadmills. I hated both but that wasn't diabetes. Just urgh people and urgh moving. Diabetes has never stopped me from doing anything. It has thrown me curveballs but eventually I have got there.

Reactions: himtoo

Becks33

hey @Becks33
all the good advice has been given..........i will just add that i have been t1d 46 years ,, have some eye issues but keeping positive , focusing on today , and taking things 1 step at a time are the best things you can do............you cant erase the past but you can change the future .........

Hello,

Wow 46 years I couldn’t even begin to imagine!
Thank you for your advice it’s greatly appreciated <3 how are your eyes now? Absolutely focusing on the now absolutely yes

Becks33

Basically. If all goes well haha. It makes me sad that you've had D so long but are only now hearing these stories. You are going to do everything you want to do to!

When I was a teen mum and I clashed a lot. I wanted to try my way and she had hers, literally! As I got older we have learned to live together with it ('I'm still at home). There is less 'don't eat that' and more 'have you tried this thing my nurse told me'..'well no cause my nurse hasn't heard of it'.

But for the most part we have each other's back.

Diaversary is a pretty common term online. We celebrate the day we were diagnosed like birthdays. We're still here, still fighting. I WANT those medals my aunt has for having it so long and I am determined to get them.

Mmmm partly. I got my BA in history despite diabetes making me take a 3 year gap. I didn't get the result I wanted so never went on to MA level but I am still proud of what I did. I'm signed off with mental health right now but mostly I am happy with my retail job. I don't drive because I am too anxious. It has nothing to do with my diabetes. Just. Clutch. Biting point. WHAT.

No thanks.

I went on holiday with my best friend to Australia and New Zealand for 6 weeks all in.. All my diabetic **** and mental health pills too! We did one end of the country to the other. Hugged baby kangaroos and went to the hobbit villages. I needed more rests than others did but I had a bestie more than happy to order a bottle of wine and get our kindles out when needed. I've partied. I've run treadmills. I hated both but that wasn't diabetes. Just urgh people and urgh moving. Diabetes has never stopped me from doing anything. It has thrown me curveballs but eventually I have got there.

Well I’ve heard so many stories and I also met a lady 28 in hospital when I was admitted with DKA and sadly she passed away and this didn’t even scare me so unfortunately in my case it has taken something scary to happen for me to realise ‘right this is no joke anymore’ yano! I’m ok just emotionally struggling more then anything

That’s brilliant that you have eachothers back , I am originally from Dublin , Ireland but I am now living in the UK me and my mother clashed she couldn’t cope with the worry of diabetes so I was taken away! But definitely think she still has my back I think!

Wow I think I am going to use that idea one year stronger living with diabetes and soldiering through <3 I was diagnosed when I was 9 probably the worst day of my life although I can’t decide between that or the injections in my eyes

Oh my god amazing how did you find keeping your blood sugars relatively stable? Drinking ect? And eating meals out? I want to travel the world I love traveling this last year I travelled India and Philippines but sadly due to my ongoing crisis with diabetes a lot of it I wasn’t very well

Oh clutch biting point all to much at the start , but wouldn’t even think about it now I absolutely love driving gives me so much freedom so I am hoping to get my liscence back soon!

Your giving me loads of confidence and light at the end of the tunnel I really appreciate you sharing this with me and showing me the light xxx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes the cigarettes are my enemy they really are but sometimes I head to the cigarettes hard aswell when I feel hopeless yano. I definitely want to give them up!

When you say rock out does that mean you have a party every now and then?

What do you mean discharged from treatment? Have you got frequent appointments with the eye clinics??

Yes, i do "party" :) why should you not celibrate life?! It's all about personal balance. ;) (I'm now a married guy, taking some time out with my wife.)
"Discharched." Technically I'm cured with my particular eye issue.. However. They still wish to monitor closely it don't come back....(the last few months have shown more than encouraging results. Even at my age! Headbutting 51, diagnosed on my 8th birthday.)

I just hope I can give you some "hope." Cigs. You know the deal. Booze. It can be done. Sensibly. Drugs? I have no idea what your into??! This is a place to talk. & change your position for the better..:) Don't give up just yet.!

Reactions: Becks33

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I’ve heard so many stories and I also met a lady 28 in hospital when I was admitted with DKA and sadly she passed away and this didn’t even scare me so unfortunately in my case it has taken something scary to happen for me to realise ‘right this is no joke anymore’ yano! I’m ok just emotionally struggling more then anything

That’s brilliant that you have eachothers back , I am originally from Dublin , Ireland but I am now living in the UK me and my mother clashed she couldn’t cope with the worry of diabetes so I was taken away! But definitely think she still has my back I think!

Wow I think I am going to use that idea one year stronger living with diabetes and soldiering through <3 I was diagnosed when I was 9 probably the worst day of my life although I can’t decide between that or the injections in my eyes

Oh my god amazing how did you find keeping your blood sugars relatively stable? Drinking ect? And eating meals out? I want to travel the world I love traveling this last year I travelled India and Philippines but sadly due to my ongoing crisis with diabetes a lot of it I wasn’t very well

Oh clutch biting point all to much at the start , but wouldn’t even think about it now I absolutely love driving gives me so much freedom so I am hoping to get my liscence back soon!

Your giving me loads of confidence and light at the end of the tunnel I really appreciate you sharing this with me and showing me the light xxx

I think a lot of diabetics get the worst parts shoved in their faces and as a defense they shut off. 'It won't be me'. It is a survival thing. The important thing is you want to get on top of it now.

I was diagnosed on April 1 at 6 years old. For years it was horrendous. April Fools! Cept...not for me. I learned to harnass that pain. I Am Still Here. It can be so powerful. Embrace it.

I found my levels were better in Australia/NZ. No idea if that was due to heat or whatever. But once I changed the time on my pump ( an advantage I have over you), I just carried on and everything was fine. Better in fact. I learned what drinks impact me. Personally, wine is no bother. Neither is vodka though I hate it. Rum and Cider cause increases. I just had to learn what did or did not cause a rise or fall. I knew that before I traveled though. I didn't even think about it over there. We did a wine tour and loved it. (Apart from the part where one guy said this sample was so sweet it would give someone diabetics so I complained and now when my parents go next year they are getting a free tour!)

Eating out is just years of practice. Helps having had mum to. I can look at a plate and judge pretty well what carbs are in it. BUT, many places now have all that information online. And/Or if you call them you can ask for that info and they will give it to you so that helps too :)

It sounds like you have been to amazing places. The sights must have been mind-blowing. Which was your favourite? The sun set on Uluru was my favourite of my travels.

There is always light. Always a way forward. Always a recovery. Keep striving for it <3

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your experience :( I'm very sadden by this, but what I will say though once control is good, your mood will be better. I promise you that! I, too went through 3 years of DKA, as a result I had mouth infections and it wasn't nice for a 11 year old. You can prove your DSN wrong by showing that you are capable of looking after yourself and minimise the complications, like I assume you haven't done a carb counting course? like DAFNE? If you haven't it'd be a good starting point and if you''re interested in an insulin pump. I find it strange through, when I was doing DAFNE, there was a blind female, similar to your case and she was the perfect candidate for an insulin pump, because she couldn't see the numbers on her blood meter and insulin pen. You should try and put forward your case to your consultant for the current technologies available in your CCG.

I would also like to say as well, we are never perfect with our control because we have all kinds of things happening, it's not just insulin that affects us. But I believe in you!

Becks33

Yes, i do "party" :) why should you not celibrate life?! It's all about personal balance. ;) (I'm now a married guy, taking some time out with my wife.)
"Discharched." Technically I'm cured with my particular eye issue.. However. They still wish to monitor closely it don't come back....(the last few months have shown more than encouraging results. Even at my age! Headbutting 51, diagnosed on my 8th birthday.)

I just hope I can give you some "hope." Cigs. You know the deal. Booze. It can be done. Sensibly. Drugs? I have no idea what your into??! This is a place to talk. & change your position for the better..:) Don't give up just yet.!

Yes I firmly believe you definitely need a balance , I just fall out of my routine or some form of balanced sugar levels when I go for a meal or have a drink! I guess it’s trial and error to find out how my body works? That’s where i struggle with the fear of my eyes,

Oh amazing congratulations <3 my boyfriend finding it very hard to cope with my diabetes since I’ve met him my life has turned upside down with my diabetes ‘stress’ :( diagnosed on your 8th birthday? What was the problem with you’re eyes? I’m so happy your eyes are a lot better that’s so enlightening:) I really hope I can turn my life around it only starts with me!

No I wouldn’t have the slightest interest in drugs al though I have plenty of people around into that sort of stuff ! I just like having a drink on holiday or weekends away type thing and I end up in a mess as far as the diabetes is concerned so I avoid it and never seem to have fun :(
Yes you’re all slowly building my confidence and hope back up it’s jusg what I needed! So thank you so much for sharing this with me xxx

Becks33

I think a lot of diabetics get the worst parts shoved in their faces and as a defense they shut off. 'It won't be me'. It is a survival thing. The important thing is you want to get on top of it now.

I was diagnosed on April 1 at 6 years old. For years it was horrendous. April Fools! Cept...not for me. I learned to harnass that pain. I Am Still Here. It can be so powerful. Embrace it.

I found my levels were better in Australia/NZ. No idea if that was due to heat or whatever. But once I changed the time on my pump ( an advantage I have over you), I just carried on and everything was fine. Better in fact. I learned what drinks impact me. Personally, wine is no bother. Neither is vodka though I hate it. Rum and Cider cause increases. I just had to learn what did or did not cause a rise or fall. I knew that before I traveled though. I didn't even think about it over there. We did a wine tour and loved it. (Apart from the part where one guy said this sample was so sweet it would give someone diabetics so I complained and now when my parents go next year they are getting a free tour!)

Eating out is just years of practice. Helps having had mum to. I can look at a plate and judge pretty well what carbs are in it. BUT, many places now have all that information online. And/Or if you call them you can ask for that info and they will give it to you so that helps too :)

It sounds like you have been to amazing places. The sights must have been mind-blowing. Which was your favourite? The sun set on Uluru was my favourite of my travels.

There is always light. Always a way forward. Always a recovery. Keep striving for it <3

I certainly am part of that group of having the worst shoved in my face almost like living in denial ‘ignoring the problem untill it can’t be ignored which is where I am now’

Absolutely I’ll never loose control again like before I’m thinking of heading to uni and studying to become a nutritionist not only is it so interesting to me but long term that would help me with my diabetes.

Oh my god I wouldn’t touch wine lol! I wouldn’t know where to start with my sugars and wine how do you control this? I seem to stick to vodka even if I have a drink ! I’m also worried because due to drinking before hand I have ended up having a HYPO in my sleep and seizuring in the night due to the lows after been drinking so it scares me :( I have been to Australia for 6 weeks aswell absolutely loved it and definitely want to go back hopefully sometime soon I wouldn’t go anywhere now never mind leave my front door!

Oh wow I wouldn’t able to choose one thing I will say though it the Indian red moon and night or the Indian sunset you can’t beat it <3

If I had a choice I would move to india it’s a way of life over there absolutely fantastic so relaxing yet they work so hard ‘balance’ xxxx

Becks33

You are so young and it’s heart breaking to hear you are having so much problems managing. Have you asked for Libre ? And try if a lower carb diet would help. Complications can be reversed. You can do it. Hugs x

Hello there

Thank you for responding!
I have asked for the libre and the pump and they say neither of them would help me:(
I almost cut carbs out in fear of carb counting wrong but I have seen some recipes on here which I have kept in mind.
Do you have diabetes? <3

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Becks33 Have a crack at https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/. It's a good intro to carb counting and free, a good starting point for you.

It sounds like you have the right attitude, your a positive gal and you know something needs to change, I think your nighttime hypo probably dented your confidence more than you think so your playing it safe running high, but the flip side of playing it safe has caught up with you, as others have said, it's never too late and you've already made a lot of friends here who can support you going forward.

Personally I learned not to rely on anyone but me, I've had some fabulous nurses but they are never there when you need them as they are so busy, so for me getting clued up with knowledge and knowing what I needed to do to make sure I was keeping in target each day was the focus, get a copy of 'think like a pancreas' written by a type 1 too. Sadly fags cause narrowing of the arteries so apart from being a stimulant and affecting glucose control they cause damage, so see if you can get some patches off your GP ?

Also try some medititation it's a brilliant way to relax or walks in the country and connect with nature.

Feel free to message me too always happy to help :)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there

Thank you for responding!
I have asked for the libre and the pump and they say neither of them would help me:(
I almost cut carbs out in fear of carb counting wrong but I have seen some recipes on here which I have kept in mind.
Do you have diabetes? <3

Yes I was diagnosed with type 1 just 3 years ago in my 40s.. regarding libre, please ask again, nhs has changed the guideline recently to allow more patients to get them on prescription. And do not let them just say it will not help you.. how would they know that if you haven’t tried.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I have my moments, but try to be positive, so plodding along.
Diabetes can be like riding a tiger, if you let go it can savage you, but if you hold on, it might steer you away from potential harm.
How are you feeling this morning ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I have my moments, but try to be positive, so plodding along.
Diabetes can be like riding a tiger, if you let go it can savage you, but if you hold on, it might steer you away from potential harm.
How are you feeling this morning ?

ps This is my 30th year and I would to get to my 50th diabetes year :)

Becks33

Hi @Becks33 Have a crack at https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/. It's a good intro to carb counting and free, a good starting point for you.

It sounds like you have the right attitude, your a positive gal and you know something needs to change, I think your nighttime hypo probably dented your confidence more than you think so your playing it safe running high, but the flip side of playing it safe has caught up with you, as others have said, it's never too late and you've already made a lot of friends here who can support you going forward.

Personally I learned not to rely on anyone but me, I've had some fabulous nurses but they are never there when you need them as they are so busy, so for me getting clued up with knowledge and knowing what I needed to do to make sure I was keeping in target each day was the focus, get a copy of 'think like a pancreas' written by a type 1 too. Sadly fags cause narrowing of the arteries so apart from being a stimulant and affecting glucose control they cause damage, so see if you can get some patches off your GP ?

Also try some medititation it's a brilliant way to relax or walks in the country and connect with nature.

Feel free to message me too always happy to help :)

Oh fabulous thank you so much I’ll have a read through that website now thanks a million!

That is EXACTLY what I want to do have enough knowledge and confidence when the nurses are not around that I can keep my balance with my blood glucose levels and not worry about it! Sadly I’m not in that place yet but I’ll get there , that’s excellent do you have the pump or do you inject? And have you have counselling before for it? The nurses have said I’m experiencing ‘diabetes burn out’ which is why I’m being seeing a counsellor at the moment it does help!

When can I find this ? Is it a book think like a pancrease I would love to read this! This is exactly what I need thanks a million! ;)

I hate smoking but because I felt so restricted at the moment they are the only things I look forward to in the day:( I love the gym and keeping fit but took up smoking but I will be quitting very soon they are damaging in every single way!

Meditation is amazing I haven’t done in a while because I feel so tense and scared but I will start again and connect with nature brilliant advise thank you really brightened my morning:) xxx