Struggling with depression

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning Zand I hope today is a better one for you . Sending you a big hug , hope social services can help out . Thinking of you .

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Zand I hope today is a better one for you . Sending you a big hug , hope social services can help out . Thinking of you .
Thanks Connie. I'll update this thread as soon as I can.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP called at my request. Has suggested a couple of tests and will get me some help. He also told me what to ask for when I speak to social services.

@bulkbiker Every cloud has a silver lining. I have fasted for 26 hours without even realising. I might be a quivering wreck, but at least my pancreas is happier :) 'Always look on the bright side of life...…':singing:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP called at my request. Has suggested a couple of tests and will get me some help. He also told me what to ask for when I speak to social services.

@bulkbiker Every cloud has a silver lining. I have fasted for 26 hours without even realising. I might be a quivering wreck, but at least my pancreas is happier :) 'Always look on the bright side of life...…':singing:
Brilliant I hope it has helped even if only a little.. and that the wobbly cow can still make you smile a bit.
Big hugs again x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I need to make some more phone calls re the relative that I am trying to help. Then I need to focus on me and my close family. Lunch with my son today:)

To everyone who has posted on this thread and/or sent me a hug - Thank you, you helped me get through a very difficult day. I'll post here again if/when I need more support.

Thanks so much :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting nervous now as I need to speak to the GP we saw yesterday between 5-6 pm today. Not sure he got the full picture yesterday.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting nervous now as I need to speak to the GP we saw yesterday between 5-6 pm today. Not sure he got the full picture yesterday.
Hope you enjoyed your lunch with your son :) - don't be nervous love you'll be fine - before your call make a bullet point list so that you remember to mention everything and don't let them rush you - I find talking on the phone to the doctor easier than face to face - it means I can pull faces and write rude things down on my bullet point list lol

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand hope that things are ok. I do feel for you. As a long term sufferer from depression and anxiety when you have to deal with difficult family stuff it can easily tip the balance. In addition if you haven't been well this will have added to your depressive thoughts and feelings. Even people who have no experience of depression say that they are left low after a virus but this will eventually pass. When I came off anti depressants after about 20 years I had a target and time scale but because of personal family issues -I am carer to autistic son and both my son's had severe mental health difficulties - I had to revise how quickly I ditched them and it ended up as a nine month very slow weaning off them. This for me was two years ago and I now manage my mental health with no pills and doing things that I enjoy such as mindfulness app headspace, walking, listening to music in the little bits of me space time. You will get there - stick with it and remember your health and you are important look after yourself.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I hope it went well and you got what you needed.
Hj

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you enjoyed your lunch with your son :) - don't be nervous love you'll be fine - before your call make a bullet point list so that you remember to mention everything and don't let them rush you - I find talking on the phone to the doctor easier than face to face - it means I can pull faces and write rude things down on my bullet point list lol
Thanks, can't believe I didn't think of bullet points myself. I was too stressed to think properly. Thanks for the reminder. It worked well. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope it went well and you got what you needed.
Hj
Yes I got what I needed yesterday thank you. Unfortunately things have developed further today so I have had to make 4 more phone calls but I guess I am making progress.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand hope that things are ok. I do feel for you. As a long term sufferer from depression and anxiety when you have to deal with difficult family stuff it can easily tip the balance. In addition if you haven't been well this will have added to your depressive thoughts and feelings. Even people who have no experience of depression say that they are left low after a virus but this will eventually pass. When I came off anti depressants after about 20 years I had a target and time scale but because of personal family issues -I am carer to autistic son and both my son's had severe mental health difficulties - I had to revise how quickly I ditched them and it ended up as a nine month very slow weaning off them. This for me was two years ago and I now manage my mental health with no pills and doing things that I enjoy such as mindfulness app headspace, walking, listening to music in the little bits of me space time. You will get there - stick with it and remember your health and you are important look after yourself.
What a lovely post! Thank you so much, you have helped me tremendously by posting this. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have managed to come to a certain frame of mind when dealing with the relative I mentioned on this thread. So far it is working :)

However I have plunged into depression again today. Not sure I can put this into words, but here goes.

11 years ago, morbidly obese, I felt totally alone. Every diet I tried didn't work. I was sure it was just me this was happening to. I stumbled on low carbing and very slowly lost a few pounds. Then I was diagnosed T2 6 years ago. Tried a few things and got my BGs under control. Still the weight remained though. I felt so alone until I found this forum where I discovered others were low carbing too. To have the support of like minds was amazing. :)

Fast forward to today. Although I am almost 3 stones lighter than that day 11 years ago, I still have a lot of weight to lose.

I have read a thread today where someone was reminded of the harm that could be done by quoting reports with dubious research. I have just as much of a problem with some other reports which have been quoted in the last few months. Amongst them, reports saying that vlc diets do not significantly reduce RMR and others that say there is no harm in using certain (not all) artificial sweeteners. These are 'good, scientific reports' . I know that I have suffered damaged metabolism from both these things, but apparently science says I am wrong. n=1 doesn't count apparently. It counts 100% when that '1' is me.

I joined this forum to learn from real people with real life experience. If something helped someone else I was willing to try it and see if it works for me. That's scientific enough for me.

So here I am. Seriously obese now (rather than morbidly obese). Alone again. Nowhere to go for help. Science says I must be cheating on my diet. I know I'm not. I don't care a lot for scientific reports. Science is changing/growing every day, therefore what is scientific truth today may be debunked tomorrow. My own past experiences however will remain the truth for me for always. One day science might catch up with me and my body. I won't hold my breath.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You, and I, and others, all know that each walk through life is unique. Others have either not learned that lesson yet - in which case they are wrong, but need time and teaching the truth. Others know the truth but still spout harmful nonsense, and they dont matter because we know they are wrong.

You sound very tired, which makes depression worse. You are doing well. You are a support and inspiration to many, including me. You stand your ground, speak your truth respectfully, and share what you have learned generously to help others.

Many many 'scientific' reports are either wrong, mis-represented in the press reports quoting the, or have a narrow field of investigation, which misses all of us who are outside what fits their parameters. THAT DOES NOT MAKE US WRONG. It just means that the science hasnt caught up with us yet.

xxxxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but apparently science says I am wrong. n=1 doesn't count apparently. It counts 100% when that '1' is me.
Never a truer word.
I know I'm just a random internet forum member.. but really big hug from me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
<snipped>

So here I am. Seriously obese now (rather than morbidly obese). Alone again. Nowhere to go for help. Science says I must be cheating on my diet. I know I'm not. I don't care a lot for scientific reports. Science is changing/growing every day, therefore what is scientific truth today may be debunked tomorrow. My own past experiences however will remain the truth for me for always. One day science might catch up with me and my body. I won't hold my breath.

Zand I admire your resilience in the face of great difficulties and hard times. I wish it could be better.
As a scientist I would say that science / medicine is not particularly good at dealing with things it doesn't know. The pressure for scientists to publish and ease with which they can, has led to an awful lot of work that gets through the "review" system you have to be a full time expert in most fields to know what is going on... and even then.
N=1 is fine by me as it's the most important n. Trust yourself and take care.
Hj

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand I admire your resilience in the face of great difficulties and hard times. I wish it could be better.
As a scientist I would say that science / medicine is not particularly good at dealing with things it doesn't know. The pressure for scientists to publish and ease with which they can, has led to an awful lot of work that gets through the "review" system you have to be a full time expert in most fields to know what is going on... and even then.
N=1 is fine by me as it's the most important n. Trust yourself and take care.
Hj
Thanks. :)