Struggling with depression

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the title says I'm feeling really down right now. I take an anti-depressant (low dose) and don't really want to increase the dosage as it has taken me 4 years to get the dose as low as this. I have been stable on this dose for a year. I have been ill for a few months (coughing virus) and now am suffering with more coughs and loss of voice due to pollen, smoke, vapes and any other irritants you can think of. I have had a stressful couple of weeks with a family member and this looks set to continue for the near future at least.

Just needed to share.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to read this Zand. I find depression really difficult to cope with and really have nothing to offer you but my hope that you get through it. Wish your family member well. Take care of you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to read this Zand. I find depression really difficult to cope with and really have nothing to offer you but my hope that you get through it. Wish your family member well. Take care of you.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I am really sorry to hear you are struggling.
As a sufferer myself the only thing I can add really is to keep talking about it.
If its your Doctor, partner, friend or work colleague that empathises the best then they are the ones you need to keep talking to.
Keeping things to yourself is the biggest problem but not everyone understands.

Good luck and whilst I don't know you I really do sympathise.

Tony

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to hear this, another hug coming to you from me.

Reactions: zand

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry to hear you are struggling, lass. Sending you positive thoughts and strength. Take it steady. Xx

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you're struggling @zand - I can't pretend to know how your feeling but we are going through it with my son and know how all consuming it can be, if you do need to up your meds to help you feel better please consider it, my son has just upped his and he is feeling much better. He wasn't keen on doing it either but it has helped enormously.

You're a lovely person and deserve to feel well, your forum family are here for you, take care of yourself and keep talking and talking don't bottle things up - sending you hugs and love xx

Reactions: zand and Diakat

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a thing called post viral depression, it can lower your mood for weeks. Quite apart from the other things going on in your life.

sending hugs.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a bad day with the family member today. Going to have a worse one tomorrow when I am trying to get help for them. I suppose I start with the GP and social services....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sounds like a logical approach @zand. Hope all goes well.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening @zand.
I'm in no position whatsoever to be able to offer anything other than a prayer and my best wishes whilst you travel through this particular part of your life.
You are a strong person and have my upmost respect on the forum. That strength, I feel probably comes from past low times (apologies if I'm wrong) .
Your ability to post your troubles, your willingness to help family even when you know it's going to be difficult and the common sense not to take the " easy option " of extra medication all make for a zand who will get through this and be an even stronger individual.
Stay positive and strong.
Feel free to share. We are all here for you.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)
Good evening @zand.
I'm in no position whatsoever to be able to offer anything other than a prayer and my best wishes whilst you travel through this particular part of your life.
You are a strong person and have my upmost respect on the forum. That strength, I feel probably comes from past low times (apologies if I'm wrong) .
Your ability to post your troubles, your willingness to help family even when you know it's going to be difficult and the common sense not to take the " easy option " of extra medication all make for a zand who will get through this and be an even stronger individual.
Stay positive and strong.
Feel free to share. We are all here for you.
Thank you, it's your prayer and best wishes that I need right now. No-one else can do this for me.

Yes you are right about the strength coming from past low times, some of those low times were buried deep within my subconscious for 40 or so years. I came through all that and the plan is to lower my anti-depressant dose even further this summer. I won't change that plan, this is just a little bump in the road compared to those other bad times. This is depression due to external issues, reactive depression, it's not the depression that lived inside me and was part of me for very many years.

Thanks for everything you said, you made me cry a little - and that's a good thing:)

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My own dismal days are most likely laughably insignificant, but I do find that music is helpful - either playing it myself or putting on some of my old vinyl, and then playing with colours, either yarns or fabrics - I make garments/costumes/traditional clothing but when I have no project to work on painting or colouring complex patterns seems to work just as well.
These things seem to alter my thoughts more effectively than medication. I do sometimes find that it is 3am when I finish playing or sewing, but it seems a better option than staring into the darkness.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @Resurgam I am sure music will help... after tomorrow.

Can't sleep. It's going to be a long night. Thanks for all your comments and sorry I haven't answered every one of them individually.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @zand, sending prayers and hugs your way....Can't really add more to what has already been said...you are in a really tough spot right now, but the saying "This too shall pass" has been a strengthener for me through the years. Blessings/L

Reactions: Prem51

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @zand, sending prayers and hugs your way....Can't really add more to what has already been said...you are in a really tough spot right now, but the saying "This too shall pass" has been a strengthener for me through the years. Blessings/L
Thanks. :)