Struggling

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So diabetic for 3 years controlling really well until last year when I had 2 operations then ended up on insulin since October last year since then my levels have gone up I never get a reading below 10! Kept telling my doctor who just kept increasing my insulin so now we have moved house and doctors that have transferred me to the hospital diabetic nurse she’s concerned I was put on insulin without trying anything else and she’s suggested I try a once weekly injection that’s used for weight loss in USA I have my appointment with her next week just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the weekly injection

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's probably the same weekly injection used in the UK. It's used for T2s who have excess weight. Am I right in guessing you may have some excess weight? If so them reducing the carbs will help unless you are on steroids etc which will cause increased weight. The nurse is right about the insulin for many T2s with excess weight. If the diabetes is caused by insulin resistance then insulin may be adding to a body already with too much and requiring large amounts to have any effect. The weekly injection does have some side effects so the low carb diet is the first priority

Dippydolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. It's probably the same weekly injection used in the UK. It's used for T2s who have excess weight. Am I right in guessing you may have some excess weight? If so them reducing the carbs will help unless you are on steroids etc which will cause increased weight. The nurse is right about the insulin for many T2s with excess weight. If the diabetes is caused by insulin resistance then insulin may be adding to a body already with too much and requiring large amounts to have any effect. The weekly injection does have some side effects so the low carb diet is the first priority
Yes I have weight to loose and I think it’s making me depressed as I just have no motivation at all

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
can you tell me more about this weekly injection please?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I can’t speak to the one the Op is talking about but this is the one we can get here in Canada
https://www.trulicity.com/
Hi,
Just to be clear, Trulicity is not insulin although it is injected.
If the OP is correct and that it is some form of insulin that being suggested, then it must be something else.

Having said that, It is well known that external Insulin tends to cause weight gain the same as internally produced Insulin, as do Steroids. Plus the risk of Hypos makes it more difficult to use a Low Carb or Calorie restricted diet to reduce Blood Glucose and ultimately the dose of medication.

Coming off Insulin and controlling BG by diet alone has been done by several people, but it is much harder than for those who aren't on Insulin or Gliclazide etc. Whether a person can do it depends both upon their will power and ability to monitor and adjust both their diet and their Insulin dose plus at least cooperation (if not support) from their Health Care Professional.