Struggling

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I am newly diagnosed with type two, (well November which I suppose it pretty new all things considered) started on metformin, which was then changed to slow release due to side effects, had a bumpy few months, before Christmas I was doing OK adjusted my diet, loosing weight, going for walks but since Christmas it has all fallen apart. I used to be a foodie loved food loved to cook but I have hit a real slump, starting to hate food, mostly having things on toast because I can't be bothered. I was booked onto a diabetic education thing online for January but got cancelled due to Covid. I am feeling so lost and alone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Shirley64

I don't think you're alone, the lockdown has been difficult for everyone I know, diabetic or not, my best advice is to plan your walks and get outside, the fresh air and walks will help boost your serotonin levels so will naturally make you feel better, and perhaps find some inspiration at diet doctor for food, it's a great website and loads of low carb recipes: https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-memb...Zhs3DFPJSbECX08YB05hpXeBbPYsPBFsaAsDjEALw_wcB

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be a foodie loved food loved to cook but I have hit a real slump, starting to hate food, mostly having things on toast because I can't be bothered.

Check out some of the low carb recipes on www.dietdoctor.com if you love to cook you'll love those and so will your blood glucose.
Stop the toast..not good for your bloods at all!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I think many people, diabetic or not, are finding turning out 3 meals a day during lockdown a challenge. And you have the added challenge of revising your eating patterns. However, being a foodie and able to cook may be a blessing in disguise. I tackled changing my eating by basing every meal around protein and trying to have 3 different protein sources each day. I think it is important to consider what you like to eat and how to modify each meal to substantially reduce or eliminate sources of carbohydrate. The carbohydrate can then be replaced with healthy fats to aid satiety and energy content. It then becomes possible to add in new foods that you would not have previously considered.
It is a pity that your education course was cancelled as feeling supported is important. However, if it was anything like the one I went on it could have given some very outmoded and misleading ideas about suitable foods for T2 diabetics!
Do you have to cook for other people?

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Shirley64

I don't think you're alone, the lockdown has been difficult for everyone I know, diabetic or not, my best advice is to plan your walks and get outside, the fresh air and walks will help boost your serotonin levels so will naturally make you feel better, and perhaps find some inspiration at diet doctor for food, it's a great website and loads of low carb recipes: https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-memb...Zhs3DFPJSbECX08YB05hpXeBbPYsPBFsaAsDjEALw_wcB

Thank you Juicyi

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="Stop the toast..not good for your bloods at all![/QUOTE]

The silly thing is I know this but, for some reason I find myself doing it

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think many people, diabetic or not, are finding turning out 3 meals a day during lockdown a challenge. And you have the added challenge of revising your eating patterns. However, being a foodie and able to cook may be a blessing in disguise. I tackled changing my eating by basing every meal around protein and trying to have 3 different protein sources each day. I think it is important to consider what you like to eat and how to modify each meal to substantially reduce or eliminate sources of carbohydrate. The carbohydrate can then be replaced with healthy fats to aid satiety and energy content. It then becomes possible to add in new foods that you would not have previously considered.
It is a pity that your education course was cancelled as feeling supported is important. However, if it was anything like the one I went on it could have given some very outmoded and misleading ideas about suitable foods for T2 diabetics!
Do you have to cook for other people?

Thank you Dr Snoddy, yes I do cook for my partner, although we share the cooking.

I have to admit I am finding information confusing, I did a taster course for the education course and although they were promoting low carb they also said you don't need to test yourself.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Stop the toast..not good for your bloods at all!

The silly thing is I know this but, for some reason I find myself doing it[/QUOTE]

Food addictions are some of the hardest to overcome.. look at all the threads on the forum about "bread" and bread substitutes. .

However once you have got over them you start to wonder what all the fuss was about. It's really well worth the effort.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food addictions are some of the hardest to overcome.. look at all the threads on the forum about "bread" and bread substitutes. .

However once you have got over them you start to wonder what all the fuss was about. It's really well worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

Thank you bulkbiker I will do that

DanW13

Hi All,

I am newly diagnosed with type two, (well November which I suppose it pretty new all things considered) started on metformin, which was then changed to slow release due to side effects, had a bumpy few months, before Christmas I was doing OK adjusted my diet, loosing weight, going for walks but since Christmas it has all fallen apart. I used to be a foodie loved food loved to cook but I have hit a real slump, starting to hate food, mostly having things on toast because I can't be bothered. I was booked onto a diabetic education thing online for January but got cancelled due to Covid. I am feeling so lost and alone.

If you’ve got a Waitrose near you perhaps purchase this if you really miss bread. The bread tastes fine & is low carb - 3g carbs per slice, albeit the slices are smaller than normal. Had some last 2 days and blood sugars didn’t go above 7.0 either time - cheese on toast!

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/livlife-seriously-seeded-sliced-bread/869667-288713-288714

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese waffles are a good alternative to solve the something to put something onto problem.

Sparks1224

Hello Shirley,
You are certainly not alone. What works for me is keeping a log of tests, meals, exercise, times, amounts.
One of the gems I got from this site is that we are all different and you need to find what works for you.
I am certainly a foodie like yourself and there is a lot of cracking recipes out there for us lot who love to cook.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It has been a tough year for everyone. Getting the diagnosis so close to Christmas would only have made it tougher.

I understand how the change of diet to low carb can be difficult. The key is to ,look for the good things- we had lobster this Christmas- yum. Australia had very cheap lobster due to the virus. We mad a cheese and cream sauce and it was delicious.

The diet doctor web site is a great resource.

Like @Sparks1224 I keep myself motivated by regular testing.

Good luck and welcome.

Mezza n

Hi All,

Hi I feel exactly the same as you, I also was diagnosed in November type 2 and kind of just left to get on with it. I also love cooking and baking which I just don’t do now, even food shopping is a nightmare it’s so hard. I never strayed at Xmas or my birthday it’s just so limiting the food you can eat I can totally understand how it can bring people down. I am awaiting my 3 monthly blood results and hoping this will give me a boost. Hopefully your results will do the same. You do feel so lost and alone I totally get it,this changes your life so much, this is a great forum for tips and ideas and just finding someone going through the same stay strong am sure we will get there.

andromache

Don’t despair. Having good culinary skills puts you ahead of the game as you switch away from foods that either are sugar or turn quickly to sugar (flour etc). All the healthy, nutrient-rich meat and fish and full fat dairy and eggs and green veg await your skills and inventiveness, as you learn to use Dr Food to transform your metabolic health.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Shirley,
You are certainly not alone. What works for me is keeping a log of tests, meals, exercise, times, amounts.
One of the gems I got from this site is that we are all different and you need to find what works for you.
I am certainly a foodie like yourself and there is a lot of cracking recipes out there for us lot who love to cook.

Thank you for the encouragement :)

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome,

It has been a tough year for everyone. Getting the diagnosis so close to Christmas would only have made it tougher.

I understand how the change of diet to low carb can be difficult. The key is to ,look for the good things- we had lobster this Christmas- yum. Australia had very cheap lobster due to the virus. We mad a cheese and cream sauce and it was delicious.

The diet doctor web site is a great resource.

Like @Sparks1224 I keep myself motivated by regular testing.

Good luck and welcome.

Thank you, I have started looking at new recipes again and I am looking forward to cooking tonight for the first time in a long time.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I feel exactly the same as you, I also was diagnosed in November type 2 and kind of just left to get on with it. I also love cooking and baking which I just don’t do now, even food shopping is a nightmare it’s so hard. I never strayed at Xmas or my birthday it’s just so limiting the food you can eat I can totally understand how it can bring people down. I am awaiting my 3 monthly blood results and hoping this will give me a boost. Hopefully your results will do the same. You do feel so lost and alone I totally get it,this changes your life so much, this is a great forum for tips and ideas and just finding someone going through the same stay strong am sure we will get there.

Thank you, I think you are right finding people that are going through the same helps I think I need a Diabetic Buddy