Stupid McDonalds

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People like this make me furious. I don't get treated like that because I have always said that I have a carb intolerance. People understand that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

S

Shar67

I've never eaten a McDonald's burger, I don't drink tea or coffee, I find plain old water doesn't cause problems.
I don't know how people coped before coffee shops or energy drinks, I have never seen someone rushing to get the train with their favourite chipped mug with Columbian shame instant coffee straight from their kitchen. What did people do, other than drink at home. The same with in flight food and drink, what you can't sit for 2 hours without a sarnie and tea.
Baa I'm obviously getting old

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite right not to trust these ,Drinks dispensers ,it was proven ,a few years age ,that these multi- drinks final hose/tap outlets have a significant residue of the last drink type served in the next drink . So your low carb. Coke wil have something else in it !!!
John

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only good thing about McDonalds is that they can give you a sheet and you can download this off their website - which shows the carb content of all their food.. and that's it !

Wjohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't trust the sheet . .
Recently I have had two incidents of meals containing significant sugars .
One ,Scottish haggis and neeps (turnip) ,where the turnip was unusually very sweet ,so I asked about it ,only to be told that the Chef??? ,had put caster sugar in it to make it taste better .We had a good discussion about his cooking .
Is it the case where the majority of UK Chefs ??? Can only cook/ prepare food so long as they can add significant quantities of sugar .They should be Stopped ,
John

illbunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Waking up
People like this make me furious. I don't get treated like that because I have always said that I have a carb intolerance. People understand that.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I know this isn't McDonalds but years ago we went to a kfc in Leeds on a boiling hot day (This was long before i was diagnosed with p.c.o.s and diabetes,but i had been diagnosed with SEVERE food allergies and well we just dont like anything spicy),we check stuff religiously and know what I can and cant have.The staff were more preoccupied banging this stupid fan that kept stopping.
I said I MUST have the plain chicken no hot wings or other funny bits normal kfc is fine.

We got home sat down to eat it first bit was fine yummy,second bit I thought mm lips tingling bit odd,prickly feeling sort of rising in chest,hands starred to feel hot.My hubby grabbed the bit of chicken that I had had one mouth full of and tried it himself.
my tongue was puffing up and closing off my breathing I could hear my voice and I sounded far away.
My allergy doctor has said he is reluctant to give out epi pens as people use them before the event and then eat the food they shouldn't hoping they are covered.
Anyway I ended up in hospital after having a severe food allergy reaction and anaphylaxis shock.
All because they didn't listen when they were told no spicy just regular chicken.My father-in-law took them to court!
God I felt ill !

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have had this before. Sometimes it us the noise in McDonald type places. But I always watch very carefully what they put in my cup. Several times I have made them replace the drink and have never had an issue with that. I usually take a dip and if I expect it isn't diet, my wife tastes it.

JoL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I don't have a great sense of taste and smell, an easy way to distinguish is the diet coke has an after-taste, whereas regular doesn't.
Has happened despite the push down dimple on the lid indicating they understood I was asking for diet, at different times and places, on journies. Thankfully they do coffee now, get that instead.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm thankfully able to tell the difference between diet/non diet drinks so if I'm given one I know. But I always get someone else to check first before sending a drink back. Although the waitress I had last time basically said if I wanted to get my drink changed from full sugar to diet I'd have to pay for a new one since apparently I clearly said full sugar coke (I defiantly didn't!!:mad:). I was furious and complained. I never trust the nutrition sheets that are printed anywhere as I feel they are so inaccurate as portion sizes can vary. I have my own way of working the carb content out :)

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happens to me A LOT. And I absolutely hate it! I have to remind myself that the server isn't trying to harm me and that they probably don't get it.
I recently went to an ice cream parlor with my mother and mister and after speaking to the manager and getting over that there was NOTHING sugar free (how do they get away with that in this day and age?) I was served a coke. Really? I mean, I just told them I was diabetic! Sheez! The manager apologized and said the cables were mixed up in the back, but he has no idea how that one sip affected the rest of my entire day!

andyh19

Often being designated driver partly as my friends live miles away from me and also as my doctor has said I shouldn't drink alcohol due to diabetes I find it happens a lot that you get full sugar coke etc. when you are out. if you keep asking for pints of water you get some funny looks from some servers and choice wise orange juice of full sugar lemonade as alternatives its poor! I Find that it gets worse around holiday periods such as christmas when they are busy and personally once I have had a few diet cokes I cannot tell the difference between diet and full sugar until 10 minutes after I have taken my first drink and then have an urgent need to go to the toilet.

Reactions: 2 people

JimmyCassidy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's clever! Would have never thought've doing it that way. :D Bet you're glad you went with your gut feeling

I was on a cruise earlier this year and there were drinks machines all over the ship which were free, I found information about sugar content hard to get out of the staff and it was an American ship so the drinks were unfamiliar. I thought I was being clever using the test strips and monitor, it was brilliant, the readings were between 1-2 or 20-30!!

I was diagnosed type 1 in April and only getting round to dealing with my licence etc. now, bad I know, but my point being I didn't know the DVLA could demand your blood monitor to see if you suffer hypos etc, so maybe testing soft drinks with your monitor isn't such a good idea, unless of course you have a spare knocking about.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter went to McDs and she asked if I would like anything so I opted for a chicken mcmuffin and she asked for it without the bun. All I got was a piece of chicken and nothing else, no egg and cheese just chicken. I find I can smell the sugar in real coke so I always smell my drinks.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read your comments and can not help wondering if this is not covered by the Trade Description Act. You are purchasing one item and getting another. Try suggesting you are going to sue them for mis selling see if that works lol. If we are being poisoned by getting sugar when we havent asked for it, again this is similar to an allergic reaction tell them if you get sugar it will send you into a hyper and will need an ambulance. The more we educate people, the less these so called errors will occur. There has to be a consequence before people sit up and take notice.

Edited by a mod to correct a presumed typo that led to incorrect info

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read your comments and can not help wondering if this is not covered by the Trade Description Act. You are purchasing one item and getting another. Try suggesting you are going to sue them for mis selling see if that works lol. If we are being poisoned by getting sugar when we havent asked for it, again this is similar to an allergic reaction tell them if you get sugar it will send you into a hypo and will need an ambulance. The more we educate people, the less these so called errors will occur. There has to be a consequence before people sit up and take notice.
You talk about educating others yet mention having sugar will cause a hypo ??

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found it amusing when linked with how we ought to educate others :)