Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just wanted to thank @lisacp for the thread and testing solution. In our local pub my husband ordered me a diet coke, it came and tasted odd. So I used your test tip to discover that it was 'the real thing' and so took it back. Explained we had ordered diet, barman said "surprised you could tell the difference" so I explained about test and diabetes. They gave me a replacement sharpish.

bonerp

Do any of with who have experienced errors in what you've been served actually contact the head office? Local restaurants will need a steer to come from the top and this will only happen with enough pressure from a group like... This!

bonerp

Just wanted to thank @lisacp for the thread and testing solution. In our local pub my husband ordered me a diet coke, it came and tasted odd. So I used your test tip to discover that it was 'the real thing' and so took it back. Explained we had ordered diet, barman said "surprised you could tell the difference" so I explained about test and diabetes. They gave me a replacement sharpish.
This is just arrogant. The pub staff clearly need some education!

vpayne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Fact is that people are lazy and often not listening. What is important to you has no bearing on their day !!
Until Sugar becomes an issue that affects everyone you will get people who will give it no attention even though it has a dramatic affect on you.
Prime example is the conversation I had today . How are you feeling ?, I'm very unwell actually , I think that I will have to make an appointment with the Doctor. I have been ill since just before Christmas and had very little to eat, maybe just two Turkey Sandwiches ! So, have you had a great Christmas ?. Silence & Disbelief, Didn't I just tell this person that I had been very unwell and was still so ill that I would have to see the doctor ?
I left the room in disgust and never got my blood test, yes you are right I was at the Doctors to get an HBA1C blood test. Feel bad that I had to walk out of an appointment but sometimes it's better to walk away when your feeling tired and unwell, people generally don't like being told they are being insensitive and only caring at shallow level.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bonerp I did complain to McDonalds head office. I just got an email saying that as they changed my drink and the manager had apologised they considered the issue dealt with.

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with the odd McDonalds :) nuggets, wraps and fries are always fine for my hubby - burgers are the worst!