Stupid McDonalds

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Catlady19 first I dipped the strip directly into the coke and it would not read.
After that I dipped my finger and dripped it on as you would with blood.
It worked and read 26.2!!
Glad I didn't drink it lol

That's a really good idea! I didn't even think it would read something that's not blood!

@Bluemarine Josephine - are you really sensitive to milk? I've never found 15ml of milk in coffee to have a noticeable effect!

I'm curious about milk now too...! I have tea/coffee with semi-skimmed milk but never thought it would affect diabetes, but then again my control is really bad...

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The only good thing about McDonalds is that they can give you a sheet and you can download this off their website - which shows the carb content of all their food.. and that's it !

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
This thread has just really made me crave McDonalds...

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry if this sounds provocative (it's not meant to be), but a McDonnalds meal contains around 100g carbs, a medium full-fat coke around 40g. The coke is small fry compared to the carbs in the meal.

Although I agree, getting full-fat instead of diet has cost me a lot of highs down the years.

Reactions: 8 people

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
large nugget meal with diet coke about 80 grams of carbs, gorgeous

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are right the meal does contain a lot of carbs, but I accounted for those and bolused accordingly.
I was just cross as I did explain that I couldn't drink full fat and I got it anyway. ☺

Reactions: 10 people

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I absolutely hate it when I get given sugary pop when I ask for diet!! Its so annoying!

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm not picky about what I get from fast food restaurants, I did once get a large pepsi (not diet) from KFC when asked for a pepsi max, though I think they were just being trained to use the tills for the first time as someone else was sort of helping them, as many can mistake pepsi as the same because it uses the same logo and the colour scheme is only slightly different. As far as those dispensers like in Pizza hut, its a good idea to put so many different flavours into one unit, which I think is a great thing for diabetics because they have all the flavours in pepsi max as they do in normal pepsi (iirc, vanilla, strawberry, lime, cherry and normal).

Also my typical mcdonalds includes a hamburger, large fries and large shake coming to 173 carbs and 1182 kcal

Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know it's terrible, but yes I went into McDonalds with my husband and two brats.
I ordered the food and a diet coke for myself. The man took my order and I paid.
Whilst waiting for the food I heard someone in the queue next to me being told that there was no diet coke as the machine was broken. I spoke the person serving me and told him that it was really important that I only got diet coke as I have diabetes.
He looked at me like dirt and told me the machine wasn't broken that it had just run out and was being changed.
I took my drink and tested it.
Now you know what happened next don't you?
I went to complain not because I wanted anything but because the person who served me was so rude.
The manager was nice and very apologetic but I feel that I really wanted to moan to the person who gave me the drink as he was so dismissive.
I don't expect non diabetics to understand but I tried to explain and still got given a sugary drink.

*sigh* It would be useful for McDonalds to have more education in regards to diabetes. Did you see this? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2015...-serve-man-with-diabetes-experiencing-a-hypo/

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 5 people

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's terrible, but yes I went into McDonalds with my husband and two brats.
I ordered the food and a diet coke for myself. The man took my order and I paid.
Whilst waiting for the food I heard someone in the queue next to me being told that there was no diet coke as the machine was broken. I spoke the person serving me and told him that it was really important that I only got diet coke as I have diabetes.
He looked at me like dirt and told me the machine wasn't broken that it had just run out and was being changed.
I took my drink and tested it.
Now you know what happened next don't you?
I went to complain not because I wanted anything but because the person who served me was so rude.
The manager was nice and very apologetic but I feel that I really wanted to moan to the person who gave me the drink as he was so dismissive.
I don't expect non diabetics to understand but I tried to explain and still got given a sugary drink.
Thats happened to me before in McDonalds, asked for diet coke, i got full fat coke, i cracked up with them, got told its hypocritical to order a mcdonalds and ask for diet coke, told i have my reasons now give me what i ordered or i'd take it further, the manager asked why i was making such a fuss, i told him not that its any of his business, but im type 1 diabetic, and his employee could've landed me in hospital, i told him what his employee said, and he agreed that it should not have been said and the employee was dealt with, i hate how small minded some ppl are, it drives me nuts at their ignorance, now i always have somone with me to test my drinks before i have them

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
You have no idea how much I can relate to your post and to how you feel.
It has happened to me so many times...

I go to a cafe/Starbucks/Costa for a cup of coffee and I specifically ask "no milk because I am diabetic. Instead single cream please."
Quess what happens? Milk in my coffee and my blood sugar shooting up to a 15.

Similarly, when in restaurants I ask for no balsamic vinegar on my salad (explaining that I am diabetic) and quess what dressing I get on my salad...
Likewise, when I ask for dressings on separate containers on the side, they are drizzled all over my plate.

People do not seem to understand what being a diabetic actually means... It feels to me as if they are lost in translation.
So, to save myself from having to explain every single time to any given stranger serving my table about my condition, I started telling them "I am allergic!".

"Dressing seperately on the side please because I am allergic (to yeast/milk/corn/sugar/gluten - you name it, what ever suits the occasion) and I dont want to have an allergic reaction in your restaurant and you having to call the paramedics for me."

Now, for some reason, THAT they understand!!
And not only do they understand it but, they give me a compasionate look and a re-assuring smile telling me that they will make an extra note to the chef/barista.

Because they know that an allergic reaction in their shop can easily mean a lawsuit and a brandname humiliation.
There is no need trying to reason with them.
No need to have to accept their degrading looks as if diabetes is the plague.
No need to have to educate them, they don't care.
Just scare them with something they can comprehent, that'll do. (and in my view, that's what they deserve as well.)

Regards and compassionate hugs
Josephine
Well your right in saying you have an allergy, we kinda have, we're allergic to too much glucose :/ i never thought about saying i have an allergy, i just say im diabetic and i get the blank stares :/ but we really do need better awareness for diabetes!!!

bevg

I went in somewhere the other night to pick up some ticket's with my husband and he ordered two coke's 1 of them diet and the lady said i'll give you your's out of a bottle as I wouldn't want residue to pass in you glass. I thought how nice and she charged just the same as the push button thing. I never knew about testing strip's for anything other than blood. will use that thank's

Callan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If one regular coke is all it takes to land and you in hospital neither Diabetes nor McDonalds is the problem. Just treat it accordingly, if your diabetes is well managed the rest of time you would be fine.

I understand why the original poster was annoyed, she asked for something explaining she was diabetic and was given something different. That's frustrating.

However some people seem to make a big deal out of nothing. I am type 1 with good control. I eat McDonalds very once in a while, I enjoy a cheeky slice of cake every now and again. A coke wont kill me, a miniscule amount of normal salad dressing once in a blue moon wont be the end of me and milk in my coffee.... I think I'd live to tell the tale.

Reactions: 6 people

Suzie Quartly

Sadly this is not unusual and one of the reasons we dont go into McD's. Best way is to show them up by tweeting at them. Its bad publicity they have to address as its so very public.

Suzie Quartly

On the subject of white coffee, the villain in the piece is actually creamer, as its mainly corn syrup powder. Stuff like coffeemate. One spoon might not harm but in the course of a day out you could clock up enough drinks to mean you need to pee a bit more on the journey home. Milk isnt the problem but its when substitutes are used.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was in a bar once and they ran out of Diet Coke, when I told the lady serving me I could not drink normal Coke (she poured me one without asking) she said to me 'well you shouldn't drink anyway if you are diabetic'. Grrrrrrrrr....!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in a bar once and they ran out of Diet Coke, when I told the lady serving me I could not drink normal Coke (she poured me one without asking) she said to me 'well you shouldn't drink anyway if you are diabetic'. Grrrrrrrrr....!!
I hate people like that. I was out for dinner last night and had a burger and fries - ordered a diet Pepsi but when it came I was certain it was full fat so asked the server to change it. He rolled his eyes and when he brought back my new one my table mate was annoyed and being protective and explained to him that it was because I was type 1 diabetic .... his response was "well since he is having a burger and fries didn't think it would be an issue?" This was at a Hard Rock ... definitely will be complaining to head office.

Reactions: 4 people