Sudden Rise In Levels

kellywelly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

My normal bg levels are around 6 fasting then averaging between 4.0 and 7 during the day. It has been like this for 4/5 months now.

For the last 3 days suddenly my fasting is around 7.5-8 and I have been getting readings around 9 during the day. Even several hours after food.

I normally take lantus at night and then humalog with meals.

I increased my lantus by 2 units with no luck. I will try my humalog but I know normally I am getting several hypos a week at my normal dose (20 units).

I am currently off work for a couple of weeks of hols so I've been doing much more exercise than normal (1-2 miles walking per day). I'm in the UK so it's not particularly hot.

I don't feel ill. I've been deliberately avoiding making it worse with high carb food. I'm so confused :)

I could leave it a few more days and see how it plays out but I'm a born worrier so that is torture.

So frustrating to be on hols. Avoiding treats I would love and still seeing my levels go up. :)

Any ideas of things to try? Thanks in advance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be that if doing 1-2 miles walking is much more exercise that your level of fitness is quite low, and your body is reacting to the shock of moving around more.

kellywelly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the suggestion @Resurgam .

Thankfully my fitness level isn't that bad. I'm doing more in bigger chunks of time here, as I don't have to fit around work, but normally at home I manage a good 45mins of walking a day and would do around 1-2 miles of walking every Saturday and Sunday.

For the first week whilst I was away my levels behaved exactly as normal with the walking. Dropping into the lower 4s. Just seems to be the last few days they have not been shifting from 8/9s.

I'm now wondering if I am coming down with something. Although I generally feel fine, i was a little warm earlier so I took took 2 paracetamol. My levels have steadily dropped since.

I could completely be grasping at straws here and this be a temporarily dip back but here's hoping!

Every time I think I have my diabetes fairly nailed, a new mystery turns up. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Two things. Do you have excess weight? If so you may be having too many carbs and developing insulin resistance and that would increased you injection needs. It sounds like you aren't carb-counting at meal-times and adjusting your Humalog? Do ask the DN to explain this to you as it's important to enable you to have meal-time flexibility. Having fixed amounts of insulin can encourage having too many carb just to match the insulin.

kellywelly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am carb counting and reaching the lower target my dietician asked me to reach. That was the reason my levels have been so good recently. Before this my hba1c had got up to 97.

I can reduce it down further and that would be my long-term plan but for the moment I would just like a few months of stability. The ride down from 97 has not been fun at all.

I do have some weight to lose. I also put on 1 & 1/2 st with the switch to insulin but as soon as I found the right level it stabilised and I have not gained anything since.

I'm not feeling hungry between meals and I don't think I'm eating to match insulin levels. I'm usually under my target.

I'm curious about choosing humalog levels according to carbs per meal. I asked both my consultant and dietician whether I could do this and both said as a type two i shouldn't be doing this? The exception if I was having a meal with less than 10g not taking the humalog at all. Are other type two's changing per meal?

Also if insulin needs change due to resistance does it happen over the course of a day? That sounds worrying. One day perfect control the next almost doubled?

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any medication and find that my insulin resistance is lower in the evenings, so I have only 1/4 of my carbs in the morning and eat the rest later on - these days I eat about 40 gm of carbs a day to try to lower weight, which still isn't working, but I am still changing shape, my waist is shrinking down little by little.
Although I only know what I have picked up on the forum about injecting insulin, as many type twos are actually producing it and it is being ignored, it is the changes in insulin resistance which can cause disruption and a need for careful adjustment.