Suddenly, Utter Roller Coaster!! -- High Rise in Blood Glucose.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Suddenly my BG is very high overnight in particular, in the morning, and rises quite high before I go to bed, too. My last clinic A1C was 40, 5.8%, yet suddenly I am getting 9s, 10s and even 12s. During the best part of the day, my levels generally seem okay, but on these other times and sometimes oddly a sudden high out of nowhere, without any explanation, not having eaten or drank anything..... It's crazy and unmanageable! Now, I was diagnosed in 2019, and have never really been sure that I came out of the so called honeymoon period, my A1C has generally be good, the above A1c , the best which was less than 3 months ago.
I have altered my Levemir several times in the last couple of months, to 2 at night, 4 in the morning, 3/3, but the highs continue at certain times. I know about the Dawn Phenomenon, and if it is simply mainly that, then why has it become so marked, suddenly?
A factor that has concerned me is that I apply Betnovate to my skin and have done for several weeks now, and I have read that this can actually have an impact on BG. Does anyone else know anything about this?
I have tried to work out what is happening but so far, nothing really stands out. Oddly my Libre still says my A1C is 40 which makes no sense at all!
I have done some finger pricks of course, but they seem to be similar readings to the Libre.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Found the edit! Ok, so just wanted to add that even after taking 3 units levemir at around 6 am, and 1 unit of Novorapid. After taking this, I went back to bed until 11. 35, and I was still 9.4, having budged down 0.1 mmol. That was about 4 hours later! What on earth is going on?!

Could it be the toothpaste?!!

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @LionChild

Hard to say what's going on but I will comment that insulin ratios and amounts do change, and reasons for needing more insulin are many (from end of honeymoon teriod to illness to....)

And sometimes there isn't an obvious reason and you just have to accept that something has changed and redo the calculations...

Have you tried basal testing?

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi @LionChild

Hard to say what's going on but I will comment that insulin ratios and amounts do change, and reasons for needing more insulin are many (from end of honeymoon teriod to illness to....)

And sometimes there isn't an obvious reason and you just have to accept that something has changed and redo the calculations...

Have you tried basal testing?
Hi Ellie, thank you for your response. Yes, I cannot seem to discover a reason for this. I was diagnosed in April 2019, and until now my blood glucose has not been too challenging, so I did wonder about this coming out of the 'so called' honeymoon period, but it is now over three years which is later than usual isn't it? I don't think I have been unwell...not that I have been conscious of anyway. Fatigued yes, but that has been the case all along since diagnosis. By basal testing I presume you just mean trial and error? I have several times altered the regimen yes, and am presently thinking it may simply be that, and so I thought to have 4 units Levemir at night, and maybe keep the 3 on waking up.
I have a fault which is that I think everything can be explained, and as you say, maybe I have to give up that notion if this doesn't work either!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
but it is now over three years which is later than usual isn't it?

I think some on here have reported honeymoon periods of several years, so I don't think 3 is outrageous...

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had any sort of infection or vaccination that could have temporarily caused a spike? (I'm not type 1 so don't know if this can happen for you)

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I think some on here have reported honeymoon periods of several years, so I don't think 3 is outrageous...
oh, okay, thank you.. I did not know that. In that case, it may simply be that that is the cause....?

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Have you had any sort of infection or vaccination that could have temporarily caused a spike? (I'm not type 1 so don't know if this can happen for you)
No, I have not had the latest booster nor as far as I am aware, any infection.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
By basal testing I presume you just mean trial and error?

Hi @LionChild

Basal testing is where you do some fasting tests so without quick acting insulin or food on board to check your glucose levels and see if your basal is holding you steady, here's a good link to get more info: https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

As Ellie has rightly pointed out - levels can and do change on an ongoing basis, could be temperature, stress, hormones, putting on or losing weight etc etc, doing some basal fasting tests can check this for, but getting your basal insulin dose right is the key to everything else so it's a good one to check every once in a while, the fact that your levels are going up at night would probably suggest it's not your honeymoon over as this would be seen at other times too, it's probably just a need to review doses.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You mention taking Betnovate. My question would be why? Rather than the Betnovate, the condition that is requiring you to use it could be the issue. I have Lichus Planus which is in the mouth. It is incurable and requires a steroid mouth wash when I have a flare up. I believe it is the flare up rather than the medication that is the issue, as a raise in blood sugars prompts me to stop ignoring my mouth and use the medication.
Plus I too had a very long honeymoon, about 5 years.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi @LionChild

Basal testing is where you do some fasting tests so without quick acting insulin or food on board to check your glucose levels and see if your basal is holding you steady, here's a good link to get more info: https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

As Ellie has rightly pointed out - levels can and do change on an ongoing basis, could be temperature, stress, hormones, putting on or losing weight etc etc, doing some basal fasting tests can check this for, but getting your basal insulin dose right is the key to everything else so it's a good one to check every once in a while, the fact that your levels are going up at night would probably suggest it's not your honeymoon over as this would be seen at other times too, it's probably just a need to review doses.
Thank you Juicyj!