Type 2 Sugar level results

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Help please I am new to taking my blood sugar levels and am getting some odd results or at least I think they are. My maximum has been 11 and my lowest 7. I have two questions please.

1. It seems to be at its highest first thing in the morning which I find odd and would have expected it to be at its lowest.
2. I restrict my carb intake to below 150 per day and since reducing the carbs my weight is going down which is positive. Calorie intake averages approx 1500 per day so portion sizes are not big. When can I expect to see my blood sugars come down.

Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Your liver provides sugar if you don't eat for a while and for many people this is before breakfast.

2. The lower your carbohydrate intake the lower your sugars should be but it can take a few days of low carbs for best results. There seems to be a point where weight loss starts helping more than before so if you start out large the longer it might take. Your carb intake is not so very low though so you could try lowering it further.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you have a plan in place which is the most important thing. That allows you make modifications to figure out what works best for you.

Restricting your carbs is something many of us do, but I wouldn't say 150g of carbs is "Low." That equates to 40% of your total daily calories and you may find that you need to reduce your intake (but not always)

My questions to you are:
-in the morning, how long does it take for your blood sugar to stabilize? Many of us experience dawn phenomenon, the term for morning elevated blood sugar levels.
-What kind of exercise are you doing? Many people find that makes a huge different in managing their levels
-Are you on medication yet, or strictly diet/exercise now?
-what kinds of carbs are you eating and are you familiar with the glycemic index?

There's absolutely no way we can estimate when your blood sugar will start to come down. It could take a week, a month, or for some it may never come down without becoming insulin-dependent.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Many thanks for your response and your questions, my response is below, but before I respond I was diagnosed 15 years ago and have been on Metformen since last February, previous to that it was just exercise and an attempt at diet. I found that the exercise probably kept my blood sugars in check I used to run but approximately 18 months ago stopped as the knees and feet were suffering. Since then it has been a gym 5 days per week with weights and spin classes, rowing machine stepper etc when the Scottish weather allows some mountain biking.

In answer to your questions:

-in the morning, how long does it take for your blood sugar to stabilize? Many of us experience dawn phenomenon, the term for morning elevated blood sugar levels.

I am not sure what you mean by stabilise I do not think that I have ever stabilised.

-What kind of exercise are you doing? Many people find that makes a huge different in managing their levels

This I have itemised. What surprised me was that my blood sugars have also been increased after a gym session.

-what kinds of carbs are you eating and are you familiar with the glycemic index?

I am inclined to have a slice of organic wholemeal with my breakfast with either avocado or a couple of boiled eggs, My weakness is fruit mainly apples and pears I can eat 6 small apples per day the rest is protein and green veg or a salad. I am familiar with glycamic index.

Many thanks

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I am doing some form of exercise my BS will be elevated as well. To combat this I try to have a handful of peanuts every hour or so and it seems.to work well. It can take a couple of weeks to see some real improvement with your BS levels. If after a couple.of weeks they are not getting any lower you may have to start lowering your carbs further as 150gr is still quite high so you have plenty of room to move there.