Sugar too high?

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I've no test strips left so can't test but think my blood sugars are all wrong today. Worked yesterday morning so had normal breakfast, snacked for lunch then a stressfull afternoon shopping with my Grandkids, left meal too late so snacked again. Hardly had anything to drink all day and I have a real thirst normally downing continous cups of de caff tea all day.

Followed by a poor nights sleep, needing to pee several times, went out for a run this morning as usual and was in a lot of pain in my legs and feet plus sweating profusley, far more than normal and felling like I needed to pee all the time. Same route as normal but feels like I've run further and it took me much longer.

Just had brerakfast and a mug of tea, now off for a shower, maybe even go back to bed for an hour i feel so tired.

I think the moral of my story is I know better, and should eat/drink properly to prevent this.

lilibet

The only way to find out is to get test strips im afraid. Appreciate its different for you cause I get them on prescription but the thought of not knowing what my bg is doing sends me into a panic!

The fatigue, peeing, thirst is of course classic high bg symptoms. Ive read you shouldnt exericise with bg higher than 14 but can see the rationale in trying to lower bg by this

Maybe lack of food has caused a liver dump or may be something else entirely. Maybe lack of food is making you exhausted!

when you get back out of bed, just be ultra careful with the carbs today and get your strips sorted as soon as you can. Hope you feel better later

justme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi very new to this and feeling i would like to chat anyone tell me why i have been told to eat carb at every meal and why because they raise the blod sugar levels i am confused. Anyone tell me a good book to read on this? Trying to lose weight and want to work out frankly i am scared to do anthing as i am not getting it right. Type 2

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
justme said:
hi very new to this and feeling i would like to chat anyone tell me why i have been told to eat carb at every meal and why because they raise the blod sugar levels i am confused. Anyone tell me a good book to read on this? Trying to lose weight and want to work out frankly i am scared to do anthing as i am not getting it right. Type 2

Hi.

Being confused is the normal response when people first come here. We are all Diabetics and we have all been there.
As for the reason you are told to eat carbs at every meal, that's just the standard NHS/DUK advice. It can work very well for some but for others we just can't tolerate large amounts of Carbohydrates ? You will have to listen to all the advice, discard it or pick out what you think is good for YOU and give it a try. I eventually found my ideal diet was a mixture of low GI, Low/reduced carbs, low fat, low salt, low sugar - LOW ! It works very well for me. We can help you find your own way.
There are people on here who also work out and will no doubt be along to give further advice. Don't be scared. Try to live a normal life doing the things you love. It's not a death sentence !

Ken.

Thirsty

Justme, have a look at this site for an easy to understand guide to which foods to choose and which to avoid. It doesn't include meat, fish & poultry, but they won't cause you too many problems anyway.

As Cugila says, don't be scared, we've all been where you are now and most manage to maintain reasonable blood glucose levels without too much trouble.

Good luck to you.

wallycorker

cugila said:
You will have to listen to all the advice, discard it or pick out what you think is good for YOU and give it a try. I eventually found my ideal diet was a mixture of low GI, Low/reduced carbs, low fat, low salt, low sugar - LOW ! It works very well for me. We can help you find your own way.

Hi - I agree with the advice given to you by Ken above. That's worked well for me too.

Simply cut back on carbohydrate intake - you can't cut it out altogether. In my case - and others too it would seem - I can't tolerate much in the morning at breakfast but can eat quite a lot later in the day. I need to watch the cereals at breakfast. I've only just had a lot of success with something that I've never eaten before called granola - 50 gms at breakfast with semi-skimmed milk:

Yesterday 4.8 before breakfast and 7.2 one hour after finishing
Today 4.7 before breakfast and 4.9 one hour after finishing

Those are great results for me because other cereals - porridge, shredded wheat and weetabix etc - all take me to more than 10. Even bread takes me high at breakfast.

Good luck & best wishes - John

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I agree with all cugila said, although I eat a home made porridge for breakfast which my wife makes. Bread sends me high as does potatoes, but following a low GI diet and reducing the carb intake has worked for me. I do find that I need to eat little and often to keep on a good low level though.

Didn't bother going back to bed this morning, went out and cleaned my Land rover and caravan then had a run out to see friends at an outdoor event this afternoon. Feeling much better now but still a little tired.