Sugar vs Stevia

Jomapil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I want to make a cake that takes 0.5 kg of sugar. What is the equivalent weight of stevia?
What are other substitutes for sugar?

Thanks for your help.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jomapil,

I usually use erythritol for baking. It is not quite a sweet as sugar, only about 70% as sweet -- so if you substitute it 1:1, the resulting cake would be a bit less sweet. If you wanted the same level of sweetness, you would have to use approx. 50% more erythritol (as compared to sugar) than specified in the recipe.

Sorry, I can't help with the stevia. Hope someone else will come along who can help with this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you may be best doing your own Googling on this.

There are different formats for most sweeteners, and some brands mix them together.
I have seen stevia come as drops, liquid to be measured by spoon, and in powder form with other sweeteners or bulking agents.

So you are probably best doing a specific search for the brand of stevia you have, compared with sugar.
The manufacturer may (hopefully) have a page on their website giving you instructions on the use of the product.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to make a cake that takes 0.5 kg of sugar. What is the equivalent weight of stevia?
What are other substitutes for sugar?

Thanks for your help.
Hi like @ziggy_w i use granulated erythritol but make up the sweetness with a few drops of liquid stevia so can do the erythritol as a sugar weight replacement in a recipe