Suggested carb intake

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually have never been bothered by breakfast until this week either!! I still have heaps to learn about this lolol
I've only had breakfast for about 1 week in the past 4 years (part of hotel package on holiday so skipped lunch instead).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They most definitely have!!

The worst part about this Jo is that I KNOW all this stuff, I was keto for two years. I felt the best I ever felt, I lost four stone. I have known for many years that I can't process carbs as well as I should be able to. I do actually believe I was prediabetic at least 6 years ago based on how much better I felt when I was keto. All of the symptoms that I have accepted for a long time disappeared, and now they are back. They are the very reason I mentioned it to the doctor in the first place. Makes me feel a complete idiot tbh but I am lucky to already have some low carbing knowing and to know that it is the way forward.

I only ever had a creamy tea for breakfast before, there is no reason why I cant go back to that, I just thought maybe breakfast was a necessity to keep balanced through the day?
Well, sometimes you know things, but have a hard time acting on them until life intervenes. Perk being: you know how to get back to square one and go from there. You've got this. :)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi Pixie and welcome
I came from a t2 family, Mum one of 13 siblings, the boys all had t1 and the girls all t2, my brother was t1 but had unluckily inherited a lot of other nasties. I got to the advanced age of 63 no sign of diabetes (I thought) so I assumed I'd taken after my Dad. I was shocked when my GP told me. Luckily he also told me about LCHF, here and Dietdoctor. My BG has gone on a mainly downward trend apart from my latest which was a blip, my GP explained that some of us were tortoises and some hares.

Three and a half years from diagnosis I'm definitely a tortoise but I have lost 7 half stone since then on 60 -90 g carbohydrates a day 98% of the time. I couldn't have done that without the support on here, my beloved and my GP and most importantly my meter and food diary. I record before and 2 hours after and record what I've eaten so I've a good idea which foods affect my BG. The other thing that sends my BG up is stress. You will find that everyone on here mainly LCHF but practically all of us have different stories from and before diagnosis but most will agree that without our meters we'd be lost.

T2 doesn't come overnight and won't go overnight either but controlling it is in your hands and testing and recording lets you find out what's the best level for you. I also try and record where and how I felt to try and get it down to fine art.
You've come to the right place, everyone here will support you nothing is the wrong way to to do it and whatever you ask someone will answer. Welcome to the club no one wants to join!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I forgot to add that although it's a club we don't want to join the members are superb!

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They most definitely have!!

The worst part about this Jo is that I KNOW all this stuff, I was keto for two years. I felt the best I ever felt, I lost four stone. I have known for many years that I can't process carbs as well as I should be able to. I do actually believe I was prediabetic at least 6 years ago based on how much better I felt when I was keto. All of the symptoms that I have accepted for a long time disappeared, and now they are back. They are the very reason I mentioned it to the doctor in the first place. Makes me feel a complete idiot tbh but I am lucky to already have some low carbing knowing and to know that it is the way forward.

I only ever had a creamy tea for breakfast before, there is no reason why I cant go back to that, I just thought maybe breakfast was a necessity to keep balanced through the day?
Life is sure not fair to those of us 'enlightened' folk who were Keto for years to control weight but who never the less became T2.
I was on a keto lifestyle in the mid 2000's but my Bg was rampant by 2011 due I believe to letting my carb intake get out of hand. Keto / LCHF keeps me 'normal' with symptoms suppressed now for many years.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Yes we are all different but here's the place to see what may work for us. I gradually dropped to 50 gm of carb, 80 gm of fat and 80 gm of protein a day using the Low Crab program. I lost nearly 45 lbs in 12 months without going keto. My fats are usually less than 80 gm. I am now very slowly raising the carbs as my bg is often below 5.0 and over 8.5 only 2% of the time. I am also going below 4.0 several times a week. It looks like 80 gms of carbs may be the right balance point for me. Luckily I have a CGM so I can quickly see the affect of increasing the carbs on my bg.
I think the key is that I have lost most of the weight around my waist - down by 6 inches. Not sure what the research says but I think this fat is what the liver uses to increase bg when it gets low. My fasting/dawn phenomenon is now usually below 6.0.
Hope all this information helps you.

Reactions: Quinn1066

_pixie_

Thanks all, I experimented yesterday for the first time with my meter. 5 before eating, 13.5 two hours after. It was 5.7 on waking this morning so finding it all very interesting.

Reactions: Antje77 and Lotties

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
es we are all different but here's the place to see what may work for us. I gradually dropped to 50 gm of carb, 80 gm of fat and 80 gm of protein a day using the Low Crab program. I lost nearly 45 lbs in 12 months without going keto.

Those figures give you approx 1250 Cal a day which is a good reason to loose 45 lbs in 12 months. For me this is my only way of long term weight loss eating Low Carb Low Cal and staving off hunger with extra fats. BUT I have to keep my cal intake to 1250 or lower. I lost 45 lb in 20 weeks reducing that kind of food balance to half this at 600 Cal similar to Newcastle diet.
Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Lotties

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, I experimented yesterday for the first time with my meter. 5 before eating, 13.5 two hours after. It was 5.7 on waking this morning so finding it all very interesting.

Wow that’s a big jump. What did you eat OOI?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reactions: Antje77

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snot very keen on noodles but you can take some cabbage leaves off the cabbage and cut them into noodle sized strips and either steam, boil or stir fry and have coodles or for a more spaghetti like spirallizer a courgette on the small hole blade and then you have courgetti. Much lower for my BG at least.
I don't know why but I can get different results at the same time of testing on two different fingers. When my first test comes up really high I'll do a second test on a different finger on the same hand and get a much better reading.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can make egg noodles - just beat some eggs and thin the mix down with a little water, put a little olive oil into a frying pan and make a thin pancake - repeat until you have one for each person, roll up and slice into strips.

Reactions: Flora123