Superfoods

Ashleigh

Does anyone know if the filling effect is only achieved if you let the seeds absorb water in your stomach or does it also work if you soak them in cooking ie add to soup and then eat them?

Ashleigh

Defren said:
Brilliant, I used Atkins shakes when I did the ND, but after I had finished the diet I found slim and save shakes, and would possibly use a combination of both. Atkins are lower carb but S&S have more variety.

My local supermarket has started stocking the atkins shakes so I was going to use those once i've used up the body shaper ones. They only have about two flavours in the ready made version, they might have more in powder form but i'd like to test that before i bought a big tub of it.

Glad to know the atkins shakes are probably still on the menu if i'm diagnosed :)

Defren

Ashleigh said:
Defren said:
Brilliant, I used Atkins shakes when I did the ND, but after I had finished the diet I found slim and save shakes, and would possibly use a combination of both. Atkins are lower carb but S&S have more variety.

My local supermarket has started stocking the atkins shakes so I was going to use those once i've used up the body shaper ones. They only have about two flavours in the ready made version, they might have more in powder form but i'd like to test that before i bought a big tub of it.

Glad to know the atkins shakes are probably still on the menu if i'm diagnosed :)

Sadly Atkins shakes only come in chocolate and vanilla in the powder. That was the hardest part for me, no variety, and I had to begin looking at the shakes as something that would just keep me alive rather than enjoy. Eat to live rather than live to eat kind of thing, and it worked, kind of. I think it might have been a bit better had I known about the slim and save while on the diet.

I will just add a teaspoon of chia seeds to my shakes, and I am sure that will be more than enough.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have joined the Chia Club as well and I added some last night to a tablespoon of Mayo that I had on my egg salad. I found that I felt really full all evening and never got an attack of the munchies. They also worked well with my stir fried vegetables this evening.

My fist real experiment will be tomorrow as I am cooking a batch of rhubarb and intend to toast and grind some seeds then add them with some cinnamon to the rhubarb.

Defren

catza said:
I have joined the Chia Club as well and I added some last night to a tablespoon of Mayo that I had on my egg salad. I found that I felt really full all evening and never got an attack of the munchies. They also worked well with my stir fried vegetables this evening.

My fist real experiment will be tomorrow as I am cooking a batch of rhubarb and intend to toast and grind some seeds then add them with some cinnamon to the rhubarb.

Whoo hoo, another chia convert :lol:

Joanna, I have to say, I made some cinnamon muffins a couple of weeks or so ago, and had 3 :oops: my BG plummeted. I have now bought some cinnamon supplements as the real deal shocked me (in a good way). I am trying a couple of days of shakes only (today and tomorrow) to see how I cope ready to do the 5:2 diet starting in September. I have added 5g of chia seeds to my shakes as I know they fill you up. It's working so far, although I am missing my fruit an yogurt. :(

Defren

Ashleigh said:
Does anyone know if the filling effect is only achieved if you let the seeds absorb water in your stomach or does it also work if you soak them in cooking ie add to soup and then eat them?

Sorry Ashleigh I missed this. You can soak chia seeds in water and add them to all kinds of things. One suggestion is soak the chia then use in recipe's to replace an egg. You can add them to omelette's, smoothies etc after soaking. The way to look at how to use chia seeds I think is, if the food you are going to eat is a more solid food, ie salad, fruit and yogurt then add the seeds whole. If the food is more liquid then you can soak them and add. It really doesn't matter how you use then from what I can see. The only real difference, if you use them not soaked, make sure you drink plenty with the meal as they could soak up all the liquid in your stomach if you don't.

Defren

BlindFaith said:
I think I may have to pop out this weekend to find some - definitely worth a try!

Apologies if I'm not allowed to post this link; but would buying them from here be okay, do you think?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3637&prodid=4136&cid=542

I think H&B is fine. They are a bit more expensive than the ones I get. If you shop on e-bay and would like the link to the seller I use I wold be happy to PM it to you.

Great to have another chia supporter on board. :D

BlindFaith

I don't use eBay at the moment but I'd like the link for the future if I get on with the stuff I pick up from H&B it would be well worth finding somewhere that's a bit cheaper!

Thank you Defren :D

mercury

Just bought some today after reading all the good things about it. However as a newbie could someone give me an idea of how much to have A, on a meal and B, in a smoothie? Thanks

Defren

xyzzy said:
Defren said:
xyzzy said:
I've joined the party on Chia a few days ago. Got some and am happily sprinkling a bit on my yoghurt and berries along with Flaxseed.
Hoping it will help keep my LDL low now I'm off the statin.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/485566-chia-seeds-ldl/

Welcome to the chia club. When I read about the anti inflammatory properties, I did think of Mrs xyzzy as you have mentioned she suffers with it. If you get peckish, just have a teaspoon worth with lots of fluid, you won't feel peckish any more. :lol:

Yes got them more for Mrs xyzzy than for me. I noticed you said you'd managed to buy them by the kilo. Where from? I got mine from PP (two half kilo [one pound] pots for £13). Have you done better than that?

Hi Steve, I paid £15.39 for 1KG with free P&P. I will PM you the link to the seller on Ebay.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keenan Research Centre
Scientist Profiles
Vladimir Vuksan

B.Sc. (biochemistry and food technology), University of Zagreb, Croatia; M.Sc. (nutrition and biochemistry), University of Zagreb, Croatia; PhD (nutrition and medicine), University of Zagreb, Croatia; Postdoctoral Fellowship (nutrition and medicine), University of Toronto

Affiliations

Research Scientist in the Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital

Professor, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

Professor, Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, St. Michael's Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, University of Toronto

Associate Director of Clinical Trials, Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre, Division of Endocrinology, St. Michael's Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

Clinical Specialty

Diabetes, hypertension and heart disease

Research Interests

Clinical nutrition trials, glycemic index, alternative and complementary medicine, medicinal herbs, whole grain, oily seeds, dietary fibre

Research Activities

The research teams’ focus at the Risk Factor Modification Center (RFMC) lies in the area of complementary and alternative therapies, with the goal to develop novel approaches to aid in treatment of chronic diseases. Specifically, the research has intensively studied special types of dietary fibre, whole grain, and ancient oily-seed, traditionally used medicinal plants as potential alternative and complementary therapies in the prevention and treatment of diabetes and heart disease.

In addition, translational approach at the RFMC clinic constitutes an important aspect of the research paradigms with the aim of taking the research finding from bench top all the way to the consumer.

Dr. Vuksan plans trials, including international multicenter trials are ongoing to generate evidence to help in the prevention and treatment of diabetes and heart disease.

Declaration of some Duality of Interests:

Dr. Vuksan holds the Canadian (2,410,556) and American (7,326.404) patent on medical use of viscous fiber blend for reducing Blood Glucose for treatment of diabetes, increasing insulin sensitivity, reduction of SBP, and blood lipids
Dr Vuksan is Vice president and part owner of Glycemic Index Laboratories, Inc a clinical research organization
Dr. Vuksan has received research support, as in-kind donation of Chia (in 2000) and Salba TM (2001, 2009) seeds and partial grant funding from companies who grow and distribute these products. Dr. Vuksan also filed Canadian and American patent applications for the medicinal use of Salvia Hispanica L. seeds, for the two products that he studied in 2000/2001. The patents have since been abandoned.

Defren

I'm sure I noticed on the television yesterday H&B are doing their penny sale and both flax and chia seeds are included. I am going into H&B this afternoon so will check back later and let you know for sure. If they are in the penny sale, it will be almost impossible to beat on price I would think.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Defren said:
H&B do have their penny sale on, sadly neither Flax or Chia seeds are in it. Sorry guys. :(

Always the same, never find anything to my liking in the 1p sale but do like the buy one get one half price offer...this is when I stock-up on Green Tea :)

Defren

noblehead said:
Defren said:
H&B do have their penny sale on, sadly neither Flax or Chia seeds are in it. Sorry guys. :(

Always the same, never find anything to my liking in the 1p sale but do like the buy one get one half price offer...this is when I stock-up on Green Tea :)

I agree when sales are on they don't have in the sale what I would like to buy. :lol:

I buy my green and green chai tea in bulk from Amazon. It means paying out for it all in one lump but works out oodles cheaper. I do that with quite a few things, coconut milk being the latest. It does save money in the long run and hopefully works out at only one outlay at a time.

Defren

louisewomble said:
Interesting......just ordered 200g to see for myself! : )

You must post your thoughts once you have tried them and let us all know what you think. I like the 'superfood' aspect of them, and as I tend to have them with blueberries and other berries, it feels like a "super-meal". :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
My superfood is peppers - red, yellow and orange ones. I can eat up to 4 raw ones a day quite happily :D