Superfoods

TUI

GraceK said:
My Chia seeds arrived today from Amazon so I've got a few grams soaking in a bowl with some water so that I can see how much they swell before I eat them. Now I'm searching for ideas as to what to eat them with and what quantities to eat throughout the day.

I'm never very hungry in the morning so a 30g slice of GI bread with peanut butter has become my usual breakfast since I was diagnosed with T2. I'm tending to stick to the same few foods until I get to know what I can and can't eat. I could skip lunch most days because I just don't feel hungry but once we get to 3pm - I'm beginning to feel ready for a small meal so I tend to have my main meal around that time and once I've had that I tend to graze throughout the rest of the evening, I'm up and down getting mini snacks.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can mix the Chia seeds with? So far all I can think of is yoghurt.

Also would anyone be willing to share their menu for a day - complete with quantities to give me an idea of what to eat and how much of it? :)

I'm going to try some of these recipes, I did make a cheese sauce just by soaking milled seeds in milk and adding mature cheese and dried mustard (not sure if dried mustard is a good thing as not checked it) Topped the hairy bikers lasagne
http://www.squidoo.com/living-low-carb- ... le52125861

Defren

Spinach

I had my diabetic eye screen and podiatry appointments today. Thankfully both came back as no signs of any retinopathy or neuropathy, so bye-bye we will see you next year (Great relief).

I have read that spinach is a great super food regarding macular degeneration, so I decided to ask the Doctor who did my eye screen. He said that spinach was indeed a good food for anyone who could be prone to macular degeneration or already have it, BUT there are more foods that help. He advises that like with spinach, we eat a good variety of all green veg, as it all has the same effect helping us avoid MD or even possible aid those who have the condition. I love all green veg except broccoli, I have tried and tried because I want to like it, but the texture when it's in my mouth makes me gag. Anyway, by eating a good amount of greens we could all help ourselves even more.

I shall be adding greens to my list of superfoods, and hopefully I really am doing the very best I can for my body and my health.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Spinach

Defren said:
I had my diabetic eye screen and podiatry appointments today. Thankfully both came back as no signs of any retinopathy or neuropathy, so bye-bye we will see you next year (Great relief).

I have read that spinach is a great super food regarding macular degeneration, so I decided to ask the Doctor who did my eye screen. He said that spinach was indeed a good food for anyone who could be prone to macular degeneration or already have it, BUT there are more foods that help. He advises that like with spinach, we eat a good variety of all green veg, as it all has the same effect helping us avoid MD or even possible aid those who have the condition. I love all green veg except broccoli, I have tried and tried because I want to like it, but the texture when it's in my mouth makes me gag. Anyway, by eating a good amount of greens we could all help ourselves even more.

I shall be adding greens to my list of superfoods, and hopefully I really am doing the very best I can for my body and my health.

All fruit and vegetables are beneficial to eye health, my Opthamologist said the darker the colour the better. Try steaming the broccoli instead of boiling and see if you notice a difference.

Defren

noblehead said:
Defren said:

All fruit and vegetables are beneficial to eye health, my Opthamologist said the darker the colour the better. Try steaming the broccoli instead of boiling and see if you notice a difference.

I only ever steam my veg, I don't see the point of boiling it then tipping all the goodness down the sink!!

TUI

Defren said:

Sorry saw you have posted how you got on, good news

DickM

Just been reading about the Chia seeds and very very interested.
What are the best type as I have looked on EBay and there are Dark or White, at £14.45 per kilo ic delivery.
So which is best please and is that a reasonable price?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ****,

I got mine from Amazon, free delivery. For about £15.00p ( make sure you reveal your choice on your order.)

My choice was dark, and I am well pleased.

I think the White can easily be disguised in recipes.

You can easily check for which you prefer. You might find this link helpful.
http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways- ... -seeds.php

Roy. :)

Defren

DickM said:
Just been reading about the Chia seeds and very very interested.
What are the best type as I have looked on EBay and there are Dark or White, at £14.45 per kilo ic delivery.
So which is best please and is that a reasonable price?

I bought a small pack of dark from Amazon when I wanted to try them out, I now buy kilo bags of white from E-bay. Up to around £15 a kilo does seem to be about right, I think mine were £13 coppers.

My understanding is, there is no nutritional difference between the two, the white is easier to conceal in food, other than that, nothing as far as I am aware. I have between 15-20g a day. I will, if hungry, just have a teaspoon full from the jar, I follow that with 2 glasses of Perrier and it works a treat.

Good luck with your chia.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an aside, remember to check your teeth after eating dark chia seeds off the spoon. :lol:

I nearly had a heart attack when I looked in a mirror and thought I had developed cavities all along my gum line. Talk about apparent bad teeth spoiling your looks, the seeds are tenacious little things once they get damp and nothing short of a full scale attack with my toothbrush would shift the little blighters.

DickM

Have ordered a 500g tub and will see how it goes, it would be nice to just be able to feel full in between meals as I am trying to lose weight, very difficult for a retired chef who loves food.

TUI

I'm having a teaspoon with every meal now and I never feel hungry. Been using black but got some white so I can use it in cheese sauce etc. Use a mixture of quinoa and course bulgar as well to bulk out a lot of meals that use mince.

DickM

Have started taking them and already starting to feel the benefits, can't believe how full I feel after I have them. I sprinkle a teaspoonful on my breakfast porridge and have a teaspoonful after my evening meal. Will keep on with them and see how it goes.

Defren

It's really great to see all these positive stories about theses wee seeds. However, Mrs Xyzzy put some in the slow cooker with a stew and left it to cook. When the family ate both xyzzy [T2] and his son [T1] had quite markedly raised BG. So, please be cautious if cooking with chia, they may be best added just before you serve the meal.

I still have my chia almost every day, they along with things like dark leafy green veg and blueberries are things I eat almost daily [depending on my fasting].

Defren

I went to e-bay as I wanted to replenish my chia stock, and while there I was reading about how the company I buy mine from started and why etc. They also have a link to an external web site dedicated to chia, and I thought people might like to have a look. Here it is: http://www.azchia.com/ There is all kinds of information, including recipe's. I have just had a brief look, but it looks really good for those of us who choose to add chia seeds to our diet. Enjoy. :D

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the link. Very interesting. This is the company I purchase my seeds from!

Defren

sunnshine1 said:
Many thanks for the link. Very interesting. This is the company I purchase my seeds from!

You're very welcome. It's a really wise idea to get your seeds from a reputable seller. If they show the soil council logo, they are likely to be pretty safe. How are you finding the chia?

sunnshine1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Defren,

I have a teaspoon of chia seeds every day, with yogurt, or a bit of porridge, and 1 teaspoon in the afternoon, to keep me going. A friend of mine recommended it to me, as having been hypothyroid then going to hyperthyroid I had such an appetite before diagnosis of my overactive thyroid and I was losing so much weight. Am now on carbimazole and the weight is coming back with a vengeance but the appetite hasn't subsided yet! I do find the chia seeds keep me going between a late breakfast and then dinner, so will continue with them.
Have about 28lbs to lose and it is difficult. Have been pre-diabetic for three years but my last HBA1c in March was 6.5 and am on 1 x 500 Metformin SR. Low carbing at present but with OH and two sons in their 20's, it is so difficult not to pinch that extra roast potato. I would definitely recommend the chia seeds, as I also find my finger nails are stronger and hair thicker.
Love this site, it is so helpful. Wish I knew about it when first diagnosed pre-diabetic instead of listening to my DSN who just handed me a low-fat diet sheet and told me not to bother testing. As it is, I only visit my surgery once a year for my annual diabetic check.

Defren

sunnshine1 said:
Defren,

I have a teaspoon of chia seeds every day, with yogurt, or a bit of porridge, and 1 teaspoon in the afternoon, to keep me going. A friend of mine recommended it to me, as having been hypothyroid then going to hyperthyroid I had such an appetite before diagnosis of my overactive thyroid and I was losing so much weight. Am now on carbimazole and the weight is coming back with a vengeance but the appetite hasn't subsided yet! I do find the chia seeds keep me going between a late breakfast and then dinner, so will continue with them.
Have about 28lbs to lose and it is difficult. Have been pre-diabetic for three years but my last HBA1c in March was 6.5 and am on 1 x 500 Metformin SR. Low carbing at present but with OH and two sons in their 20's, it is so difficult not to pinch that extra roast potato. I would definitely recommend the chia seeds, as I also find my finger nails are stronger and hair thicker.
Love this site, it is so helpful. Wish I knew about it when first diagnosed pre-diabetic instead of listening to my DSN who just handed me a low-fat diet sheet and told me not to bother testing. As it is, I only visit my surgery once a year for my annual diabetic check.

You have really been through the wringer haven't you? I hope things get better soon. I really do know what you mean about hair and nails. I had very brittle nails that snapped so easily. Now they are much stronger, and are growing well. My hair is unreal, for my age I could pass for years younger (from behind) as my hair is amazing. It's waist length anyway, and now the shine and strength are worlds apart from what it was.

I do hope things improve for you, please do let us know.

Take care Joanna.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hey Jo

I found this http://www.holosfoods.com/p/Linseed-(Flaxseed)-Brown--UK-25kg/ so that's 25kg of Flax seed for less than £30. Reading around other forums all you need to do is grind the seed yourself in a coffee grinder or presumably a food processor or of course a good old fashioned pestle and mortar.

Bargain!

Defren

xyzzy said:
Hey Jo

I found this http://www.holosfoods.com/p/Linseed-(Flaxseed)-Brown--UK-25kg/ so that's 25kg of Flax seed for less than £30. Reading around other forums all you need to do is grind the seed yourself in a coffee grinder or presumably a food processor or of course a good old fashioned pestle and mortar.

Bargain!

Bliddy heck Steve, that's a bit of a difference in price. I buy Linwoods milled flax, I have a few varieties and they cost a bomb. I get mine at either Holland and Barret or Sainsbury's and the price varies between £5 odd to £6 odd for approx 360g - 450g (depending on variety). I have a coffee grinder as I only use coffee beans, and also an attachment on the food processor, so that is no problem. I will be ordering some of this flax, as I eat it every day except fasting days, so it does work out expensive. Thanks for this.