Support gratefully received

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ladybird64 well done so far! I was really wanting to do a cauliflower cheese recipe, we tried with a little flour - it didn't actually spike me too much. A couple of pieces of 85% choc do me, Easter eggs are overrated!

Keep checking in, we love good results.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can make an absolutely delicious cheese sauce by just heating up Seriously Strong Cheddar Cheese spread with a spoonful or two of double cream, no need for flour at all to thicken it, I pour it over cauliflower, cover in grated cheese and finish off in oven till brown and bubbly, gorgeous!

I also mash a big dollop into cauliflower mash, it improves it no end, makes it delicious, particularly on Shepherds Pie.

Are you doing cauliflower rice right? You see some soggy horrible versions, try this.

Coarsely grate a head of cauliflower. Finely chop a small onion and as much garlic as you like. fry off in butter. Add spices to taste (I always add turmeric, cumin and coriander, but you can ring the changes) add cauliflower and sea salt, and stir through to coat, then add just a few drops of water, cover with tight fitting lid and 'steam' stirring every couple of minutes, keep checking for consistency, don't let it get over soft. I find that delicious, prefer it to actual rice!

If I was you I would get the stuff that tempts you out of the house. That amount of support from your family, to not stock the house with things that make you tempted, is the least you should be expecting from them.

Best wishes, I hope you continue to be successful.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm checking in daily, hope nobody minds. Helps me to keep focused for the time being. Well, Easter Sunday. After low carbing all week, I had my plan for today, a full roast dinner (I do only eat from a side plate though), I would eat some pudding today, and a mini hot cross bun. That would not provoke the cravings from hell, this was my plan. My neighbours came round three hours ago with two chocolate Easter eggs! But..
It's been ok. No brekkie, I do find that coffee with cream keeps pangs at bay, lunch was some fried peppers in tomato sauce (doesn't spike me), halloumi cheese, 2 small crackers with pate. Dinner, half a roastie, savoy cabbage, squash, few carrot slices, some parsnips and stuffing - rhubarb crumble after. I should point out that gravies, carrots, tomatoes etc don't spike me so I know I'm ok with any veg, same with stuffing. Pud was nice and I didn't feel guilty at all (I'm not a pud person anyway). I had an apple this morning (fine again) but that's it, no desire to eat more, no "triggering" of that feeling that now I'd started, I may as well really let loose for one day..none of it. And no desire to attack the eggs, or choc in the fridge.Plus, I haven't had the bun! Too full and listening to my tum instead of my mind! I will allow myself the bun tomorrow, but I'm fairly confident that I will be ok - which feels good:)
PS. Bg's was 7.3.
When anyone gives me gifts of food that I don't choose to eat, I make sure I get it out of the house quickly by regifting it. If I think the gift giver won't be offended I let them know I am not able to eat what they brought. No use having temptation in the fridge for a moment of weakness, which could trigger a craving for damaging foodstuff.

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I won't go into details folks, and I don't talk about my family here (not really) but it's not straightforward. If I just say that I'm not the only T2 in the house, and attitudes towards "foods you should not touch with a barge pole" couldn't be more different:(. There are also mental health issues with another member..
Short version is I need to rely on myself. That's ok, it's taking control over what I do, sure, a fridge full of cake isn't great but I'm the one responsible for what I eat. I feel strong again. Family plan micro chips and quiche, I plan chorizo, mushroom and cheese omelette with side salad and maybe some home made coleslaw:hungry:
And I will try that cauli rice again but still bit put off by it lol.

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just checking in. Yesterday I had a quarter pounder burger in a bun, and a cake. I went out with OH, and decided that I would have this - because I REALLY wanted it. This place (I live in Norfolk) is by the broads, and does absolutely the best burgers.
I have also kept to low carb since starting this post, no pasta, rice, spuds at all. I ate the above, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was mindful that it could trigger cravings - it didn't. That was my food intake yesterday, back to normal today. Have lost another pound too:D
Working on my relationship with food will be an ongoing process methinks. Also checked bg's, knowing full well that burger cake comb would push it up, 8, then down to 5.6. So doing ok:)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi folks. Readings are hovering around 6's, but then I'm not too well at the moment. Negative points since Burgergate are, hubby made me lovely egg and sossie brekkie yesterday - and included a small slice (from the end of a crusty loaf) of fried bread! Oh help, I don't do bread but ****, it just looked so good. So, I had it, enjoyed it but that was that! No lunch, last night I tried courgette for the first time (my Italian ancestors are probably turning in their graves) with a rich ragu, and it was certainly better than I thought it would be. Flash fried in a spot of garlicky butter, only prob is it does give out a fair bit of liquid, perfectly passable to munch though. Had Chinese tonight, we are all a bit rough so not up to cooking, but had chop suey (beansprouts) and chicken and steamed veg. No rice or noodles. Will do bg shortly, thanks for ongoing support:)

Reactions: 5 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad, bad week. Emotions all over the place (with good reason), serious illness in someone close. Got to climb back on the wagon again...and so damned tired.:(

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your care is very much appreciated. I'm still not doing well at all with the food but realistically speaking, I just can't manage a structured diet at the moment.
Somebody here who I've known for a long time sent me a lovely PM, telling me I need to be kind to myself, I think she's right. I can only do my best from hour to hour, and stay aware of what I'm eating.

I will get back on the wagon, just need a little time. Thanks everyone x

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No need for structured diet. Just awareness that your unstructured diet cannot continue indefinitely.
If what you are doing with food is a coping mechanism for other things going on, then it is no use you constantly trying and failing to organise food choices. That will knly reinforce the idea that the food problem is insurmountable. It isn't. Your greatest support will be from yourself, and I do hope that you can find a way of managing your other life difficulties that does not impact on your health..

Do be kind to yourself.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've received a PM telling me that my previous post to this has been removed, also the answers it received and giving the reason why. I'm ok with that decision, hope the posters who responded are too, and want to thank those that took the time to answer it. Your care and concern is appreciated. xx

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear that but I am a bit confused. Maybe I'm naive or just stupid but I don't understand why it was removed. It wasn't offensive in any way. I replied but I didn't get a PM to say it was being removed. I thought one of the benefits of this forum is getting help and support from other members. In my opinion that's all your post and the replies were.......unless I've missed something. Take care and I hope your decision works out for the best. If it doesn't you may wish to try canagliflozin. It's a new med to control sugar levels by making you pee the carbohydrate. Big side effect is weight loss! I've been on it for a month now. Sugar levels are great and weight is slowly coming off

Sent from my D2403 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a long time since I've written here, I had such kind and caring advice, but I kind of closed down.
The "real" world has been tough, but the hardest thing is dealing with my reactions to it, and the guilt and self loathing that comes with lack of self control - I'm sure many here on this part of the forum will recognise this.
I've dealt with this for so long, I cannot imagine having a "normal" relationship with food - and that realisation is frightening.
I've joined an online support group and took the plunge, I went to see my GP, an extremely hard thing for me to do. Upshot is, I have an assessment tomorrow morning, possibly with therapy as a result, I'm not sure yet. I'm scared stiff, this is such a personal thing to be discussing face to face, different from this anonymous forum. I hope it helps me to move forward, I know I face a tough road ahead of me. Just wanted to say thanks for your patience, understanding and insight - it really has helped me to see that I couldn't do this alone.

Group hug (((forum))) xx

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a long time since I've written here, I had such kind and caring advice, but I kind of closed down.
The "real" world has been tough, but the hardest thing is dealing with my reactions to it, and the guilt and self loathing that comes with lack of self control - I'm sure many here on this part of the forum will recognise this.
I've dealt with this for so long, I cannot imagine having a "normal" relationship with food - and that realisation is frightening.
I've joined an online support group and took the plunge, I went to see my GP, an extremely hard thing for me to do. Upshot is, I have an assessment tomorrow morning, possibly with therapy as a result, I'm not sure yet. I'm scared stiff, this is such a personal thing to be discussing face to face, different from this anonymous forum. I hope it helps me to move forward, I know I face a tough road ahead of me. Just wanted to say thanks for your patience, understanding and insight - it really has helped me to see that I couldn't do this alone.

Group hug (((forum))) xx

Really hope this is a positive step in what will be a difficult journey. Best wishes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Group hug (((forum))) xx

Ladybird, as someone who had an eating disorder (admittedly different to yours) earlier in my life, I know that I knew I really had to do something about it. How I was then was not destined for a good outcome. It's not easy going to see someone and telling it all, but, for me, once the secret was out it really felt like a relief. I found I was really glad, in the end to get it all off my chest. You've done the first bit, and the great news is, the next person you see is likely to have much more expertise in your area than your GP. You've done the hard bit.

I'm not saying it's easy, and I'm not saying whatever treatment or way of working through it is going to be a walk in the park, but it sounds like you're ready to take that next step towards a healthier way of living.

Although it's a cliche, I'm pretty certain nothing you have to tell the therapist will be new or shocking to him/her, and you won't be the last to tell of these feelings and events either.

Good luck with it all. I really do wish you well.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Quick update for anyone who is interested X

I had my assessment and was actually quite shocked when she said she thought a referral to the eating disorders team would be best - I was sure I'd be referred to cognitive behavioural therapy (which I didn't really want).
The catch was that before they would even see me, I had to go to my surgery and be weighed, that really got me worked up, as it is something I feel very ashamed about, and I got equally upset and angry!

Plucked up courage to go (was a nervous wreck) and now I wait for the call from the therapist. Apparently the weight needs to be done to secure any amount of funding. Feeling quite scared now but I know I have to face the fear and carry on if I don't want to view food as an enemy. What a palaver! Thanks for your continued support xx

Reactions: 7 people

ameeno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can totally relate to what your saying about being weighed, I had to be weighed at the hospital about a year ago and I was freaking out inside but when it came to it the nurse didn't bat an eyelid, she didn't even tell me what it said , she just made a note and sent me on my way, although the sky high blood pressure reading after said it all!!!
Face the fear and do it anyway, it's so easy to say but you have done it, well done .
I wish you all the very best.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had my assessment and was actually quite shocked when she said she thought a referral to the eating disorders team would be best - I was sure I'd be referred to cognitive behavioural therapy (which I didn't really want).
The catch was that before they would even see me, I had to go to my surgery and be weighed, that really got me worked up, as it is something I feel very ashamed about, and I got equally upset and angry!

Plucked up courage to go (was a nervous wreck) and now I wait for the call from the therapist. Apparently the weight needs to be done to secure any amount of funding. Feeling quite scared now but I know I have to face the fear and carry on if I don't want to view food as an enemy. What a palaver! Thanks for your continued support xx

Well done. I hope you don't have too long a wait for therapy to start. It will be tough going, bizarre even, but if you can trust the therapist, and really engage and work at it you will have success. Good for you for taking the first, most scary step.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That sounds like a fabulous update, and great progress. Until I read about the funding aspect, I as thinking the weight measure was probably just some form of benchmarking exercise.

Curiously enough I was considering all this weight loss stuff just this morning, as I had read elsewhere of folks feeling almost exactly are you did. I suffered from an eating disorder many moons (read 3 decades) ago, and it still held some fears (of regression) for me, until relatively recently.

When diagnosed I concentrated on my blood scores as shunned the scales completely. I didn't carry much weight, but I had some luuuurve handles and a bit of a muffin top waistline in close fitting clothes (a lovely image, eh?). Once I had lost weight, then started wanting to stop that loss (for fear of becoming unhealthily thin again), I needed to weigh myself or I would have no self-help tools. Only this morning did I really realise/admit that I am in a better place, in terms of my relationship with the weighing scales than I have been for probably 40 years. Now I just see it as one of those things I do. Hopefully, you can, over time, get to a similar place.

On a really positive note; when I was being discharged from care (all that time ago), I raised worries of regression and using the revolving door into and out of health. I was told then once I had a decent footing in a good place, I was much more likely to get hooked on something different, rather than weight or eating - or not eating in my case. Obviously, I'm trying hard not to let that happen, but if it has to, hopefully I'll enjoy whatever I get overly keen on.

Go for it. I bet you'll soon feel miles better just having taken the steps you have and knowing you're going to have some decent support. I know I did.

Very, very well done on doing the scary thing. Give yourself a big pat on the back. :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That sounds like a fabulous update, and great progress. Until I read about the funding aspect, I as thinking the weight measure was probably just some form of benchmarking exercise.

Curiously enough I was considering all this weight loss stuff just this morning, as I had read elsewhere of folks feeling almost exactly are you did. I suffered from an eating disorder many moons (read 3 decades) ago, and it still held some fears (of regression) for me, until relatively recently.

When diagnosed I concentrated on my blood scores as shunned the scales completely. I didn't carry much weight, but I had some luuuurve handles and a bit of a muffin top waistline in close fitting clothes (a lovely image, eh?). Once I had lost weight, then started wanting to stop that loss (for fear of becoming unhealthily thin again), I needed to weigh myself or I would have no self-help tools. Only this morning did I really realise/admit that I am in a better place, in terms of my relationship with the weighing scales than I have been for probably 40 years. Now I just see it as one of those things I do. Hopefully, you can, over time, get to a similar place.

On a really positive note; when I was being discharged from care (all that time ago), I raised worries of regression and using the revolving door into and out of health. I was told then once I had a decent footing in a good place, I was much more likely to get hooked on something different, rather than weight or eating - or not eating in my case. Obviously, I'm trying hard not to let that happen, but if it has to, hopefully I'll enjoy whatever I get overly keen on.

Go for it. I bet you'll soon feel miles better just having taken the steps you have and knowing you're going to have some decent support. I know I did.

Very, very well done on doing the scary thing. Give yourself a big pat on the back. :)

Sorry I'm late replying.Thanks so much for your encouraging words, they mean a lot. The reason I didn't reply was that I was initially refused therapy after my weigh in, I was just over the BMI they allow. Kind of threw me into a depressive state. Good news is that the ED team appealed and its been approved, they will fund me on the NHS.
I'm scared but ready to move forward now xx