Support Groups

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could consider us here on the forum a support group too - where possible we'll offer information and good advice in answer to your diabetic questions, and plenty of moral support too!:)

Robbity

Reactions: dbr10 and Billy7764

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, Robbity. It's about getting myself together and understanding what's happening to me. For far to long I pretended that everything was fine. But in reality I was beginning self destructive by over eating and even binging at times. Having read the advice on low carb diet I realised I have been living almost entirely on carb's. My portion control is non existent and struggle to know when I am full. I want to change but feel it's a lonely hill to climb.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Robbity. It's about getting myself together and understanding what's happening to me. For far to long I pretended that everything was fine. But in reality I was beginning self destructive by over eating and even binging at times. Having read the advice on low carb diet I realised I have been living almost entirely on carb's. My portion control is non existent and struggle to know when I am full. I want to change but feel it's a lonely hill to climb.

I'm much like you Billy (or was). I was a good couple of stone over and a habitual carb snacker between carby meals. I think its fair to say that although deep down I realized I wasn't doing myself any good, my diagnosis was the kick up the bum I needed.
Good job I was pretty physically active or I would have been a real porker. Anyhow I can only tell you my experience if it helps.
On diagnosis I got pretty scared and disliked the attitude of my doc and nurse who both wanted my to eat the 'healthy plate' and go on meds. I'm not normally rebellious but on this occasion I came on here, read and listened closely to what folk said and went very low carb, refusing to take the meds. I'm down a stone and a half and if my HbA1c isn't down at my next test next month I'll probably shout at the dog and eat (low carb) humble pie with the nurse.
Typically I started eating eggs and cooked meat / oily fish for breakfast, more cooked meat (tongue / corned beef and a lump of cheese for lunch then a pretty low carb dinner (eg meaty stew / chicken thighs and leafy veg + strawberries and cream +a couple of glasses of red wine).
What I found was that I got in a state of mind that disallowed obvious carbs / sugar. Basically I'm a pretty weak-willed chap but in this instance something's clicked in. My weight began to drop and I surprisingly had more energy. I've ditched breakfast altogether 3 / 5 days a week, still have a small lunch and still have plenty of energy. I do drink more decaf coffee and water and sometimes have a few salted peanuts late afternoon.
You're right though, it is a lonely hill. Even though there is loads of support available we ultimately have to do it ourselves.
Some guys I work with tuck into butties, crisps and a kitkat or fish and chips when we stop for lunch while I'm now nibbling away on bits and pieces. They were surprised at first but I think have a grudging admiration that I'm sticking to it. One down side was recently was that I was shoved up a small loft hatch to put some insulation in when a couple of the lads couldn't fit!
Bit of a ramble this but it may help.
(We had an old campervan for a while - a Talbot though, not a Volkswagen)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the information you need is available on these forums. When I was diagnosed type 2 last year I was told to eat less sugar, do more exercise and take metformin. Five weeks later I saw a diabetes nurse and got a blood glucose meter. My blood glucose had dropped from 13 down to 9.8. I then discovered the video by Sarah Hallberg on reversing type 2 diabetes and then realised that I also needed to cut out all high carb foods such as breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I also stopped drinking fruit juice and stopped eating high carb fruit such as bananas and grapes. My blood glucose dropped from 9.8 down to around 6.2 over the next few weeks.

At my three month blood test my HbA1C dropped from 99 to 59 at which point I dropped my metformin to 1x500 daily. I also discovered the work of Jason Fung and started intermittent fasting. This helped reduce blood sugars and reduce weight. I dropped about 10 Kg in weight. Eating low carb my blood sugars have continued to drop and my recent HbA1C was 43, which is almost non-diabetic. Now I no longer take metformin.

Changing your diet does take a lot of willpower, but if you have a glucose meter you can see the benefits as your readings get better.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guy's your stories are both inspirational. Hopefully I can overcome what I thought I knew about diet and make changes that will help me deal with things in a sensible way. (Grapes are high carb - Wow) cheers Billy.