Surely this can't be right????

Shaggy_Dog_1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my opinion the concept that you can count carbs and eat what you like, as long as you inject, is true (although you may swing about a bit before your glucose levels are back in the right place). However, like all people, some things are better to eat and drink than others. Personally (type 1, carb counting) I would not consider full fat coke or pepsi, even with counting, due to the extreme swings on blood glucose levels that would produce (unless you injected a good while before hand). Basically, eat sensibly and you'll be ok. The course I did told me that I could eat what I wanted, but then went on to explain why I should avoid things like full fat drinks, alcohol, extreme amounts of cakes, biscuits, desserts and so forth and stick to a reasonably sensible diet. The benefit of carb counting is that you do not have to eat exactly the same thing for every meal, but you can risk going out for a meal, having something different for a change, miss a meal totally if you want.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have to admit I have the same attitude since the past 3 months or so where I eat anything I want and give insulin accordingly. Though I do eat those things that I shouldn't eat in moderation, and yes I do feel guilty, I can't seem adapt to the time when I was young and didn't eat stuff I was not allowed (ie chocolates, biscuits etc - apart from that my diet is fairly good even now). I am trying very hard to cut back again and it really is a struggle at the moment. And yes, having relaxed my diet I have gained weight that I am so not happy with. I WILL sort myself out and soon, though I doubt I will completely cut out the chocolate etc may just a small bit once or twice a week.....

Its possible that this attitude of mine has come about having had diabetes for so long, just wanted to enjoy my food/treats a bit.... :(:confused::oops: