Surely this can't be right????

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
In the same respect. I wouldn't suggest it was worse than any other type either... ;)

When people make sweeping statements like 'I'm type 1 and I can anything I like and I just inject, so it's better/easier !! again, I don't think it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

No its not! Mines down to my depression, if I'm depressed then I won't look after myself simple as....absolutely nothing to do with what I eat
Nicola is trying her best and is open about the fact that she has depression and is pregnant.
Sometimes it is better to say nothing than upset people who are struggling.

Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When people make sweeping statements like 'I'm type 1 and I can anything I like and I just inject, so it's better/easier !! again, I don't think it is.
This could be why they are in the state they are in, sadly.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This could be why they are in the state they are in, sadly.

Could possibly be. A lot of the younger ones do find it difficult, a feeling of ' being different', or 'not fitting in', it can be hard for some.

D

Deleted member 83869

We might be in a minority Nicola, but really, it wont bother me too much :rolleyes: How are you today ?
Haha! I am okay I guess thank you having a bit of a rubbish week....but I don't even know why nevermind! Every week is different In regards to bloods but they're not dreadful...so really I should be happy! Hope you're well?

D

Deleted member 83869

Yep, I did all that and would then correct, and correct and so on.
Now I'm on a pump because of DP and whether it's age or what, I find it easier to low carb.
AND CONGRATS ON THE BABY!
DP? ? I'm on a pump too! I do agree low carb can be easier but not when it comes to money it's not and then that's saying that diabetes has won! And thank you! !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No its not! Mines down to my depression, if I'm depressed then I won't look after myself simple as....absolutely nothing to do with what I eat

Depression is well known to make diabetes control difficult to achieve Nicola:

How can depression affect my diabetes?
Depression can affect a patient's capacity to deal with their diabetes, including managing blood glucose levels appropriately.

Research has found that people who suffer from both diabetes and depression have poorer metabolic and glycemic control which has, in turn, been found to intensify symptoms of depression. [31]

Additionally, anti-depressants have been found to have hypoglycaemic effects causing serious problems for self-management.

It has previously been reported that depressed people with diabetes are less likely to adherence to medication and diet regimens and subsequently have a reduction in quality of life and increased health care expenditure.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-depression.html

@ohitsnicola, take great satisfaction that your HbA1c is coming down so is heading in the right direction, good luck with the pregnancy and hope all goes well.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DP? ? I'm on a pump too! I do agree low carb can be easier but not when it comes to money it's not and then that's saying that diabetes has won! And thank you! !

I'm Mrs Aldi woman and I take my Sainsbury's bag for life (cos I have no shame!) I have a type 2 partner and we've kept him on the same metformin dose for the past 3-4 yrs. the super six are great but no fruit other than berries. Loads if salady stuff. Love their free range chicken for £5ish quid.
We do get other stuff from other supermarkets but Aldi is the starting point - roughly £40ish quid for a weekly shop there for 2 then another £10 from other places.

D

Deleted member 83869

Depression is well known to make diabetes control difficult to achieve Nicola:

How can depression affect my diabetes?
Depression can affect a patient's capacity to deal with their diabetes, including managing blood glucose levels appropriately.

Research has found that people who suffer from both diabetes and depression have poorer metabolic and glycemic control which has, in turn, been found to intensify symptoms of depression. [31]

Additionally, anti-depressants have been found to have hypoglycaemic effects causing serious problems for self-management.

It has previously been reported that depressed people with diabetes are less likely to adherence to medication and diet regimens and subsequently have a reduction in quality of life and increased health care expenditure.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-depression.html

@ohitsnicola, take great satisfaction that your HbA1c is coming down so is heading in the right direction, good luck with the pregnancy and hope all goes well.
My psychiatrist has made it clear that I'm not to come off of sertraline now as not being on them causes me to deteriorate, which is true! I don't know what it is but they give me this weird motivation...maybe because I'm not so down? Who knows but it works! And if anything I'm a prime example of that! I'd I wasn't on antidepressants now then I'm pretty sure that my hba1c would be sitting at 83 or higher still!

I agree to a certain extent that whatever you eat can affect BG but honestly in my case it doesn't, and as long as I know the carbs etc then 98% of the time I am fine and if I'm not then heyho it's only one or two times it won't hurt! Just upsets me when people can't see where I'm coming from as if I'm lying! If it works for me then it means it's wrong??

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm Mrs Aldi woman and I take my Sainsbury's bag for life (cos I have no shame!) I have a type 2 partner and we've kept him on the same metformin dose for the past 3-4 yrs. the super six are great but no fruit other than berries. Loads if salady stuff. Love their free range chicken for £5ish quid.
We do get other stuff from other supermarkets but Aldi is the starting point - roughly £40ish quid for a weekly shop there for 2 then another £10 from other places.
That's my problem I don't like salad haha!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you hold your nose and close your eyes ......... It took me a while. If I wasn't diabetic I'd be a size 30 living off Ben and Jerries. In fact I'd have a freezer dedicated to ice cream.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My psychiatrist has made it clear that I'm not to come off of sertraline now as not being on them causes me to deteriorate, which is true! I don't know what it is but they give me this weird motivation...maybe because I'm not so down? Who knows but it works! And if anything I'm a prime example of that! I'd I wasn't on antidepressants now then I'm pretty sure that my hba1c would be sitting at 83 or higher still!

I agree to a certain extent that whatever you eat can affect BG but honestly in my case it doesn't, and as long as I know the carbs etc then 98% of the time I am fine and if I'm not then heyho it's only one or two times it won't hurt! Just upsets me when people can't see where I'm coming from as if I'm lying! If it works for me then it means it's wrong??

I think people are trying to mean well in their advice @ohitsnicola, diet will always be a contentious issue amongst people with diabetes but you just have to choose your own way and one that works for you as an individual.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you hold your nose and close your eyes ......... It took me a while. If I wasn't diabetic I'd be a size 30 living off Ben and Jerries. In fact I'd have a freezer dedicated to ice cream.
I already do... Oh, erm, yes, I'm T1 aren't I...

D

Deleted member 83869

I think people are trying to mean well in their advice @ohitsnicola, diet will always be a contentious issue amongst people with diabetes but you just have to choose your own way and one that works for you as an individual.
Yeah I get that just sometimes....well most of the time my brain takes things the wrong way ha!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I get that just sometimes....well most of the time my brain takes things the wrong way ha!

You're ok @ohitsnicola :)

I think some people didn't realise you were pregnant. It sounds to me like you're doing really well getting your HbA1C down, and I know you're working really hard for your baby and yourself {{hugs}}

As it happens, even when I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding, I can eat chocolate and things like that too and keep good control. We're all different, and you certainly don't need to change your diet when you're pregnant. Sounds like you're doing fab as it is.:)