surviving

stiv2us

i have been t2 for 5yrs now i am insulin dependant along with 2grams of metformina day also simvasatin and gavapentin for pain in legs arms all over my body and cocodamol 30/500 i have been taken these for the last 5yrs or so and yes i watch everything i eat and try to keep with my life style my hb1 was 17 last time and has been more than this in times b4 my feet are so sore on the soles i can bear to walk at times i keep a lot of this to myself at home and my work place as i need to work to pay bills i have a 3yrs old son and it kills me not to be able to do things i should do with him i no i will probuluary not be here for him when he gets into his teens the way my health is at this time i feel i am not helping matters in the family home my wife knows there is more going on than i say as we dont have sex as much as i feel to much pain during and after this i have now got to the end of my tither and have though of ending it but i keep stopping myself due to my wee boy i love him so and i dont want to upset him or my wife but we have debts and these could all be fixed if you follow me i am writing this and the thoughts are going over and over in my head as i do this ...how do you get on with this

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You sound really distressed and I hope that by just making the post in the way you have ,it has helped. You will receive a lot of suport from here. However, it is all long distance and I can see that you need more immediate help. Drs quite often have a counsellor attached to their surgeries although the waiting list can be 3 months or more. There are however local groups of counsellors who will offer their services for free to those clients who have financial/ health issues.You can also telephone The Samaritans at any time and they will listen to you as well. You are not alone. You have a wife and son and everyone on this forum who will help you.

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
stiv2us .. does your missus know about the diabetes at all ? Would it help to explain to her ?

I'm 58 and have been a single dad for 12 years .. I have sat my 18yr old daughter down and have explained it all to her, shown her how the testing works and explained about the diet etc , just my opinion but communicating about it helps .

Hamish

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Stiv2us

Very glad to have you with us. I would echo what SparkJack and Mish have said to you already.

I haven't got the same level of problems with my diabetes that you have but perhaps that is something the very knowledgable users of this forum can help you with. What I do share with you is that I suffer from depression and know just how grey and desperate everything can seem.
Try and remember that when depression hits our minds we don't think rationally and what may seem like a solution to a problem really isn't..you have got a wee boy there, who you obviously love.
I know you are thinking of him and your lady in the short term but if you went ahead with what is going through your mind can you imagine that wee lad in years to come putting blame on himself?

Have you been able to speak to your GP about the way you are feeling? I know it can be tough but it's often making that first move (particularly if you're a proud so and so like me) to ask for help that can lead to you getting better..and you can feel better although I know it doesn't seem so just now.

Hang in there, get yourself the help you need and we can try and give you some support while you are doing it..you won't be alone.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
stiv2us said:
i will probuluary not be here for him when he gets into his teens the way my health is at this time

Hi Stiv2us

Diabetics can live just as long as non-diabetics, if not longer. I know a diabetic who was diagnosed almost 30 years ago and is still going strong.

Am glad you have joined the forum as I'm sure it will be a great help to you as it has been to me. There are loads of lovely people with heaps of knowledge and experience and the odd bit of humour to lighten the mood.

I agree with everything ladybird 64 has said. She makes sense.

I also am suffering depression and it started before being dignosed with diabetes. I understand how you are feeling-what you are talking about doing I seriously thought about too. As you say it's the thought of the kids that stopped me. Please remember you have a loving family who would miss you dearly.

On a more practical note, I suffered extreme pain on soles of feet. This was last year before being diagnosed with diabetes. It was fine when sitting or lying down but as soon as I stood up to walk the pain was excruciating, expecially first thing in the morning. It was Plantar fasciitis and is now completely cured. Don't know if you have same thing or not but it would be worth seeing a doctor or podiatrist.

I would also mention depression to the doctor. I got counselling and am on anti depressants and they do work. I would have taken anything to stop feeling the way I was feeling at the time.

I really do hope things improve for you and you get all the help and advice you need.

BJL1960

Dislikes
Liverpool fc
Hi Stiv2us,

I have been diagnosed with T2 for 11 years now, and i have had bouts of depression, leading me into some dark places in my mind, where i too thought of ending it, but the thought of leaving my wife behind stopped me.

Unlike you, my kids are all grown up, but i have grandkids, aged between 9 years and 4 days. Each one knows that i am diabetic and that i have to inject and take lots of tablets, my 4 year old grandson is made up, because hecan come to me to open his sweets knowing i can't nick any.

I hope you take to heart some of the advice you have recieved on site, and seek professional help, but talking to your wife will also help alleviate some of your problems. Failing that, post some things on site about stuff you like to do, books you read, tell us some jokes, anything to occupy your mind, and get some interaction going.

The help and support is out there

Take care,

stiv2us

well a big thank you to all who have posted here ....i wrote this last night but i was not feeling good in myself as you all picked up on, there are days like this most of my week i do keep busy as i work and i keep myself busy there but dont let on to others how i am or how i feel my wife we have spoke about my diabetis on many times but i have not let her see me depressed or told her how i am coping as i said in last note we dont have sex much as i have much pain afterwards and feel i am letting my wife down by this as she enjoys sex ,most time after this i become depressed and my wife does notice there is something wrong but does not ask me, i used to have a full life of things out swimming going to the gym twice a week but my body will just not stand up for this now this is why i hate myself when i cant do thing with my son of 3yrs i cant let anyone in my work place see how i am due to maybe loosing my job there are some cut backs just now in my workplace and i am frieghtened i do lose my job this would throw me over if this were to happen ...well thanks again i will read comments and other within here thank u

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi stiv2us!

Have you been given any advice about changing your diet? Many of us on here find that reducing our intake of carbohydrate foods, contrary to the advice given by the NHS, lowers our blood glucose significantly and allows us to have good control. In some cases it can also reverse the progress of diabetic complications, and reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Have a look at the Low Carb Diet Forum on the Board Index

Can you remember whether you had the pains in your arms and legs before you started taking simvastatin? Statins can cause muscle pains (among other side effects), and Simvastatin is one of the worst. I won't take them because of this, but fortunately my doctor is happy with my cholesterol levels. If you didn't have as much pain before the statins, it might be worth discussing it with your GP.

You're among friends here, and you'll get lots of help and advice - don't be afraid to come back and ask questions, or just to let off steam! :wink:

Viv 8)