Swapping from Lantus solostar (insulin glargine) to Tresiba (insulin degludec)

Danny98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I have been recently swapped insulin by my doctor to help my control. However, I am extremely anxious of the side effects and possible alergic reaction.
I am currently on 25 units of lantus solo star and being swapped to 15 units of tresiba.
Can anyone tell me there experiences?
Can anyone give me advice with my anxiety about having an allergic reaction?
(I currently struggle with anxiety to do with my health)

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on 25 units of lantus solo star and being swapped to 15 units of tresiba.
Can anyone tell me there experiences?
I found that Tresiba was so much more stable for me, and no stinging like Lantus did either!

I did find that I needed the same dose of Tresiba as I did on Lantus, so you may discover that 15 units is not enough.
Can anyone give me advice with my anxiety about having an allergic reaction?
Do you still have some Lantus?
Can you ask your doctor if it would be ok if you tried out 1 unit of Tresiba (and reduce your Lantus by one or two units) for one night to make sure you don't have any allergic reactions?
I think such a reaction is very unlikely, but if this eases your anxiety it's as good a reason as any.

Do you have a history of dangerous allergic reactions?

Reactions: JAT1

Danny98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply.
I still have 3 pens of lantus left and no, i dont have any allergic reactions. It says on my medical file I am to one medicine but thats it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply.
I still have 3 pens of lantus left and no, i dont have any allergic reactions. It says on my medical file I am to one medicine but thats it.
If you do not have any serious allergies there is really no reason at all to expect you'll have an allergy to Tresiba, I expect you'll be just fine!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a lot of issues on Lantus - including frozen shoulder and aching joints - all of which vanished quickly changing to Tresiba. The out of nowhere lows stopped too.

It takes a little while to get the right level but if you're not allergic to any other insulin you should be fine with Tresiba

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77