1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sweden has not endorsed LCHF diet yet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Oldvatr, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Other · Well-Known Member

Contrary to what is trending on the internet at the moment, it seems that claims being made that Sweden has officially adopted new guidelines that endorse LCHF diets appear to be premature, although that position may change.

This commentary here discusses this and seems to provide a rationale that is probably true for the moment. It is not a debunking of the effects of the diet, but clarifies the official position somewhat.

https://experiencelife.com/article/debunking-news-of-swedens-low-carb-high-fat-guidelines/

Note: Sweden was in the early days the seedbed of LCHF and provided much of the early scientific progress in its transformation from Banting to LCHF, It was also the first country worldwide to condemn LCHF as being dangerous to life and to be avoided. This dichotomy still lives on.

Here is an article on the web about the supposed change alledgedly made by Sweden, so must be viewed with eyes open to what I posted above. However, I think it is a good article anyway, and has good referenced material.

https://benjamindavidsteele.wordpress.com/2019/06/02/official-guidelines-for-low-carb-diet/

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Are you in Sweden?

3. Rosiegough_

Rosiegough_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wonder why it’s dangerous

4. Listlad

Local diets vary across the globe. I spent a year in Sweden and have a degree of insight into the diet. Hence the question.

Good enough?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It is interesting that in the second article cholesterol values are discussed but other than that there are firm identifiers stating risk... of anything.

6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Not really, a diet lower in carbs in the West is just that whether you are in Sweden or Bulgaria or the US. A carb is a carb after all.

7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the clarification @Oldvatr.
    Methinks the saturated fat/cholesterol/ lipid hypothesis beliefs are a stalling point, but that is a guess.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Other · Well-Known Member

Nope, but the Internet gets there for me. Did my research when I was skeptikal over LCHF myself, and it took me a while to unlearn all I had been taught. Started with Banting and Harvey, and moved up the timeline.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think low carb would be more acceptable everywhere without the high fat label. Of course some people actually pursue high fat but for many it is just a case of adequate fat or compensating fat. In my case I don't really eat more fat than I used to, but now I don't feel guilty about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Everyone

I only just came across this thread and realised how far off topic it had drifted (into a kind of 'What I eat') with absolutely no relevance to the OP.

Those posts have now been moved into the General Chat section of the forum, here
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-i-eat.164918/
    for those who want to continue that discussion, to avoid further derailment.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #10 Brunneria, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  11. Listlad

Me neither.

12. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

I like Norway I remember sitting in an establishment at 3 AM wondering why it was still light till I remembered where I was.I did eat a fair bit of salami, ham, smoked salmon and pickled herring. while I was there so low carb would not be a problem.

The photo is of Andenes in Andøya Where I stayed for a while.

Andenes Norway.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Listlad

Nice scenery.

So I wonder if there is such a thing as a Noggie diabetic?

• Like Like x 1
  14. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hejsan! I have written about this issue rather a lot in this forum, but here I go again. I need to look up more information for this thread on a different computer, than the laptop I am currently on, and get the latest official stance on LCHF (ie in Swedish, off Swedish Governmental websites), at least to read and summarise in English to post here. So I plan to do this some time today.

What I have mentioned before is that certainly LCHF has a very high level of social acceptance in Sweden. It is known about by the general populace, and, as there has been court cases about it, vis a vis medical professionals advocating it, it is legal and accepted as an official dietary treatment, as mentioned above, for weight loss/management/obesity and for treating and managing diabetes. This is all well documented, as it centred on a legal case re professional practice- can the doc continue to practice or not? situation with the doctor known as 'Doctor Fat' (Doktor Fett) https://annikadahlqvist.com/., and the famous Diet Doctor writes and posts about it. But a statistic I rather like was mentioned on the wonderful documentary 'Statin Nation' that about 25% of Swedes actually practice some degree of LCHF/Keto way of eating. And as Stockholm had two LCHF food boutiques when I lived there, I was inclined to think that stat could be true.

It is also true though, that when I took a hospital-based diabetes education course for those with diabetes, LCHF/Keto was not promoted, in fact I was shocked to spend a whole morning on which loaves of bread were best, by the very un-carb-troubled nutritionist. This was followed by the afternoon getting to know the syringe for the insulin injection that was being treated as inevitable, because, treating diabetes with food was too hard (and insulin injections and kidney dialysis are sooo easty!) This was 5 years ago - I do not know how if that has improved if changed at all since. (Recently diagnosed in Sweden add to this thread?)

What I do like about talking about nutrition with Swedes, compared to NZers, is I don't get lead down an odd nutritional path in conversation, which inevitably ends up with folks telling me you can't defecate on Keto, and other such strange things. (Oh the wonders of propaganda!) It becomes, ah, uncomfortable when I get asked how long I have eaten the LCHF/Keto way and I say over four years. This is due to the differences in both social acceptance, and knowledge of that way of eating, as well as the range of ways of eating generally.

But I will do a bit of research on official acceptance, or not, anon, and post on it later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi All,

Just notifying that more posts have been deleted, and thread bans have been given to some members, after continued derailing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. millenium

millenium Carer · Well-Known Member

So which other countries endorsed LCHF?

17. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OK, I read the official document on 'what's healthy to eat and what's not' from Swedish officialdom. -

https://www.livsmedelsverket.se/glo...iska-naringsrekommendationer-2012-svenska.pdf

and guess what? The stuff @Oldvatr reported being reported is in fact - true! (I know you knew this already Oldvatr! :).) That LCHF is not officially endorsed in Sweden.

Not a single solitary word about LCHF, and in fact, advocating the old margarine instead of butter line, and the very very odd line of throwing red meat in with added sugar for causing - yes - amongst other diseases - diabetes. Yeah - that ol' thing.

So, yes, back to what I was suggesting in my above post - LCHF and Keto has very high social acceptance and knowledge about in Sweden, but not official acceptance, still.

And, as the diet doctor says - the SBU info was as an expert committee, not the government department of health. And his comments are about a possible LCHF positive future, not a current LCHF positive present (governmentally speaking).

• Like Like x 1
  18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Either it's been endorsed by Sweden or it has not if not and that is a fact it leaves little else to say other than thank you for the information so @Oldvatr thank you and end of story.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook