Sweet Potatoes... Yes Or No

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am seeing conflicting reports on sweet potatoes. I was only diagnosed t2 just over a week ago but have gone on to hflc diet. What are your thoughts on sweet potatoes, I'm avoiding at the minute

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @DianeWorthington and welcome to the forum. There is not a lot of difference in carbs between regular spuds and sweet potatoes so I have been avoiding them too. People react differently to carbs so best to get a meter and test yourself.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people find them OK, I don't.
So you really need to test your own reaction to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. A meter will tell you whether they are OK for you, and what quantities because that also matters.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sweet potato has 41.4g carb per 200g portion.. But it also a very high Vit A content.. Huge..38433 which is 700+% of daily vit A recommendation.
Vit A is fat soluble and not wee'ed out.. So be careful not to have too much of sweet potato....
Too much Vit A isn't that healthy for you...and so its not a food that I would have.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's a baddie for me!

Hate baddies!

But it might be ok, depending on how much of a portion you have!

Yuk, hate baddies!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When I was not low carving, I was able to use sweet potato. I was able to reduce may A1C whilst these were a main carb I had, but I was working out up to 3 times a day whilst on Metformin. Now I understand more about lchf I do not have sweet potato as I can 't fit into my carb allowance, so you may have a similar challenge if you low carb.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There are different definitions of low carb. If we're talking about low carb as defined by LCHF or Dr. Bernstein, then no: sweet potatoes are too high in carbs to meet those diets' requirements.

I didn't know about the high vitamin A. 700%? Toxic levels are about 850% of RDA. People have been known to die from vitamin A overdose when eating polar bear livers, which are also packed with it.

I know Vit A can be awful for damage from overdosing.. I've had to also stop butternut squash because its also so high. Those two veg were the only veg that travelled well in my stomach/colon..but I'd rather not overdose!!
Its the same if people eat liver apparently.. Should only be once a week. (Do people still eat liver??).

Sorry for detracting away from the carb issue but I think Vit A issue is worth noting..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know Vit A can be awful for damage from overdosing.. I've had to also stop butternut squash because its also so high. Those two veg were the only veg that travelled well in my stomach/colon..but I'd rather not overdose!!
Its the same if people eat liver apparently.. Should only be once a week. (Do people still eat liver??).

Sorry for detracting away from the carb issue but I think Vit A issue is worth noting..

Yes, I eat liver. Once a week. Delicious gently fried and eaten with bacon.

A surplus of Vit A is stored in the body for times when it is needed.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-A.aspx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmm chicken livers with bacon, onion, red wine and rosemary.

Liver is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Definitely on my 'good' list.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love it smothered in onion gravy, but sadly the gravy is off the menu now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Even the NHS tho has a warning below the statement of it being stored for the future - warning if too much..

Perhaps I'm just paranoid checking my vitamins I get!!