Sweeteners

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I do not use sweeteners much maybe once or twice a day but wondering what everyone else uses. There are so many conflicting stories out there, it's a minefield. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joy1988

I also use sweeteners and have done since being diagnosed nearly 30 years ago but have recently been advised that their going on the carcinogenic list? I’m trying to wean myself off them and just have a couple of sugars in a coffee when I’m low as a treat!

Reactions: ennovy48

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I do not use sweeteners much maybe once or twice a day but wondering what everyone else uses. There are so many conflicting stories out there, it's a minefield. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
I've practically stopped using sweeteners (can do without these days), but the only ones that didn't upset my gut were erythritol and stevia. Separately they kind of suck due to their dominant aftertastes, but when they're mixed, like in certain variants of Sukrin, or Pure Via Stevia Leaf, it's pretty good. You only need half of what you'd usually use, and it does well in baked goods too, not just coffee/tea.

Careful if you have pets and use xylitol, as it's poisonous to furbabies.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also use sweeteners and have done since being diagnosed nearly 30 years ago but have recently been advised that their going on the carcinogenic list? I’m trying to wean myself off them and just have a couple of sugars in a coffee when I’m low as a treat!
That's artificial sweeteners. Erythritol and Stevia sweeteners are still safe to use. ;)

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's artificial sweeteners. Erythritol and Stevia sweeteners are still safe to use. ;)
I have tried a couple of different ones but the stevia ones i could not cope with, i found they have an awful after taste. Appreciate the link, thank you.

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've practically stopped using sweeteners (can do without these days), but the only ones that didn't upset my gut were erythritol and stevia. Separately they kind of suck due to their dominant aftertastes, but when they're mixed, like in certain variants of Sukrin, or Pure Via Stevia Leaf, it's pretty good. You only need half of what you'd usually use, and it does well in baked goods too, not just coffee/tea.

Careful if you have pets and use xylitol, as it's poisonous to furbabies.
Well done on reversing your diabetes! That's great to hear :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't really use sweeteners, just on occasion Stevia when rhubarb is in season.
I prefer to allow my taste to change rather than prolong having a 'sweet tooth' !

So now I drink black tea without sugar eat berries unsweetened, eat a few squares of dark 90% chocolate.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I still have a sweet tooth (this is often in part genetic so I can blame my mother) so rather than raise my BS with sugar I use sweeteners. But I stick with stevia mixed with erythritol or xylitol and over the past few years have gradually reduced the amount.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame is going to be added to the possibly carcinogenic list, along side things like being a hairdresser, aloe vera, working nights, pickled vegetables, eating red meat, I'll take my chances

• Funny
Reactions: Dinet and Ronniemoo

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame is going to be added to the possibly carcinogenic list, along side things like being a hairdresser, aloe vera, working nights, pickled vegetables, eating red meat, I'll take my chances
Thank you for your reply, i appreciate your time.

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still have a sweet tooth (this is often in part genetic so I can blame my mother) so rather than raise my BS with sugar I use sweeteners. But I stick with stevia mixed with erythritol or xylitol and over the past few years have gradually reduced the amount.
Thank you for this, it's so difficult sometimes to make a choice about these things. This forum is very helpful as it's always good to have other peoples imput.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don’t cook with sweeteners just have them in my tea. I use sweetex and have used them since becoming diabetic many years ago.

Reactions: ennovy48

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use what I consiser to be alternative sweeeneres not artificial ones, so my choice is for stevia and erythritol, generally in combination. I use them in baking and for sweetning certain foods but I tend not to have many drinks that I want to sweeten.

Xylitol can be toxic to dogs, so as an owner I definitely warn against its use. However, it should be safe for cats, but check animal poison lists if you are conisdering using it.

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use what I consiser to be alternative sweeeneres not artificial ones, so my choice is for stevia and erythritol, generally in combination. I use them in baking and for sweetning certain foods but I tend not to have many drinks that I want to sweeten.

Xylitol can be toxic to dogs, so as an owner I definitely warn against its use. However, it should be safe for cats, but check animal poison lists if you are conisdering using it.
Thank you for this, appreciate your time

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use Natvia which I think is erythritol and stevia combined. It's the best I've found but isn't terribly easy to get hold of e.g. Sainsburys don't stock it

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Natvia which I think is erythritol and stevia combined. It's the best I've found but isn't terribly easy to get hold of e.g. Sainsburys don't stock it
Thank you for this information, I have just looked it up on Google and apparently both Tesco's and Ocado sell this product. I might give it a go!

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started using xylitol in the beginning and found it had the same effect on my BG as regular sugar so swapped to erythritol which is fine for me. It does keep me craving sweet things though so I’ve started to reduce my use of it. I no longer put it in my coffee (it only took 3 days to get used to that) and as I very rarely bake these days a bag lasts me a long time. And similar to @Robbity i have 2 dogs so another reason not to use xylitol

ennovy48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started using xylitol in the beginning and found it had the same effect on my BG as regular sugar so swapped to erythritol which is fine for me. It does keep me craving sweet things though so I’ve started to reduce my use of it. I no longer put it in my coffee (it only took 3 days to get used to that) and as I very rarely bake these days a bag lasts me a long time. And similar to @Robbity i have 2 dogs so another reason not to use xylitol
Thank you for this information, i appreciate your time.

Reactions: MissMuffett