1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sweetners in medication

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by SMS1, Oct 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SMS1

SMS1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was prescribed Carticure which is a spanish product for joints and cartilage. However, I was advised by GP not to take it because it has sorbitol (somehow our discussion didn't say which other similar medication to take). I'm looking for another similar medication but a sweetner (or without) suited for diabetics.
    Which sweetners added to medications are generally safe for diabetes?I have yet to see one with Stevia or Truvia but probably the safest ( but not very tasty) are the ones without any sweetners.
    Thanks

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Now I'm puzzled, as sorbitol is often advertised as a sweetener suitable for diabetics. Why did your doctor not want you to use it? Is it because of one of the medications you are taking? Also, it probably depends on how much sorbitol is in the carticure....?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SMS1

@EllieM I was having the gastrointestinal problems i.e. the "runs" (sorry if TMI)-to use another word-due to another medication, Probably adding sorbitol (a polyol) isn't great
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...es-and-diabetes/sugar-sweeteners-and-diabetes
    Also was severely dehydrated so anything adverse, I didn't take.I don't know many grams of sorbitol there is in Carticure (had a quick look at the box).This is why I'm asking because it appears I have to take carticure or something similar.I would love to hear of any suggestions.

#3 SMS1, Oct 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Carticure is glucosamine.
    The implication is of a worsening in insulin resistance.
    Astute GP, but not due to sorbitol probably.
    Might there have been a mishearing?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorbitol can act as a laxative so not suitable for someone already having gastric issues (sorry @SMS1 ) . As to the original question, I don't know, but maybe email the manufacturers and ask if they have a version without the sorbitol?

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SMS1

Thanks, that's good to know. Now I'll look up condroitin sulfate to see if that's okay to take.
    Now just have to find something which would be the same but not adverse to diabetics.

#6 SMS1, Oct 28, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  7. SMS1

Thanks,for your info . I didn't know glucosamine had an adverse reaction for insulin resistance. @Struma
    All the same if it's not one thing ,it's another( can't take this medication because it interacts with another or it's not suitable for diabetes).

8. SMS1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697588/

natural eggshell membrane ! I’m going to see if I can find it even though eggshell membranes do have glucosamine and condroitin( minimal amounts, good to know but it’s the only joint pain thing I can find).

#8 SMS1, Oct 28, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook