Swimming and Libre

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Has anyone been swimming with a Libre? I’ve only been using one for five weeks and it’s been fine in a shower but fell off after a bath. Lucky it was when I needed to change to a new sensor anyway.
I’ve been looking at how it could be waterproofed in a swimming pool or the sea and wondered if anyone’s had success doing so. It’d be nice to be able to swim more than once a fortnight!
My levels have been changing, odd spikes have been happening, and it’s given me lots of help to get them ‘right’ again. I know that exercise helps too, I used to swim at least three times a week. Happy times. These days too swimming suits my wretched knackedy knees and occasionally sore feet, so looking for advice from anyone who’s found a waterproofing fix.

Reactions: kev-w
D

Deleted Account

When I was introduced to the Libre in a trial, the rep suggested VetRap to use during swimming.
As the name suggests, it is designed for animals but, apparently, works well for humans as well.
The theory is that it sticks to itself rather than your skin so it won't pull your Libre out when you remove it ... unlike a plaster/bandaid.
Not tried it myself though.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The best one i've tried is the Tegaderm plaster from 3M, it's see through and you keep it on for the duration of the sensor as it may pull the sensor off if removed beforehand, it's worked fine for me.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you @helensaramay and @Juicyj! Two choices, yippee! I’ll pay a visit to the vet and see whether they’ve got VetRap - could pick up parasite deterrent for the cat at the same time - and see what they think of it. I imagine the rep knew what he was talking about. (No, I don’t see the cat as a parasite, I like the cat, but need to deter worms and fleas.)
Tegaderm plaster sounds good, especially if it’s tried and tested. I imagine you apply it the the first time you swim with a new sensor so skin has a bit of time to breathe during the fortnight.

Last edited:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do an hours swim fit twice a week, about 80 lengths mixed strokes. I use Opsite Flexifix transparent film. It can be used to cover wounds. I don’t put it directly on the sensor but have that covered with a small square of non sticky dressing. Giving up the swimming was a deal breaker, so I had to find an answer. It is brilliant! Make sure you use a big enough piece of the Flexifix. Can be ordered from Amazon on a roll. As I go early in the morning my husband puts it on the night before and I take it off after a nice long shower. 100% success.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you too, @becca59, using a non sticky dressing’s a great idea. The roll is too as multiple swims possible. I think a non sticky might work with Tegaderm too. I need to call in at the vet anyway so I’ll ask them about VetRap. I’m planning to visit a Greek friend when it’s warm enough to swim; how many swims does a roll of Flexifix last for you?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you too, @becca59, using a non sticky dressing’s a great idea. The roll is too as multiple swims possible. I think a non sticky might work with Tegaderm too. I need to call in at the vet anyway so I’ll ask them about VetRap. I’m planning to visit a Greek friend when it’s warm enough to swim; how many swims does a roll of Flexifix last for you?

Each piece 10cmx10cm so 10 swims!
What’s lovely is to enjoy a long shower after the swim. I usually keep my daily shower to a quick in and out so the sensor is exposed to minimum damp.
Good luck!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sounds great, especially the long shower after a swim - I really don’t want to spend my time looking at the clock either here or in Greece where the sea’s also a place to tread water as you chat and gossip with friends.

Reactions: becca59

Florence5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does your reader work in Greece or did you have to buy another one? Seems unfair. I am looking forward to going abroad soon and hope I can use the Libre in Spain
Florence5

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve not been to Greece with the reader yet and to be honest I hadn’t thought that it mightn’t work there. Abbot have an 0800 number for enquiries so I must ask them. Ah well, I’ve always finger pricked there before so may have to do so again.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you take enough sensors to last for your trip you will be fine, I think the only problem comes when trying to use sensors not bought in the UK with a UK reader

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That’s good news.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well the reader is just a dumb reader, it has no idea where it is - it just knows which sensors it can work with :)
I know I had to change the time of the reader when I was in France last year to match what time it was there - the graph did get slightly confused on the way back cos it had issues with it being 7am and then an hour later it being 7am again :)

Tabzmcfc

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I use Tegaderm. I'm on my 20th sensor and have always used it. I cut the patches in half and stick them straight over my arm and sensor and they last the fortnight usually. In Tenerife I swam in the pool and the sea and everything was fine. Here I take our child on play dates to the swimming baths and stay in for hours with no problem. The Tegaderm stops the sensor ripping off when going down slides. When going through airport security I rang the airline in advance and took the instructions from the sensor box with me as advised. I had a spare sensor in my hand baggage too. This meant I didn't need to walk through the x ray and had a pat down instead. Hope this helps.

stefficlewis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use rocktape.. http://shop.rocktape.co.uk/rocktape-beige-5cm-width-5m-length-kinesiology-tape/ over my libre. I sail and I have swam using this and it doesn't budge. I actually use it at all times now because it gives piece of mind that the libre wont get knocked off walking into a wall or something stupid like that. The libre probably came off in the bath because the heat melted the glue, this happened to me in the shower once, but luckily it didn't come fully off, when it dried out it stuck back on :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone, I feel so encouraged by all your watery success. Time to experiment, tho I’m not sure how the Union Jack motif on one of the rock tape options would go down in Europe right now. I know the fear that the libre’ll get knocked off too.
I’m playing with ideas for a decorative armband, bracelet style, to cover it when it’s warm enough to wear a dress. If I make one that’s successful then I’ll let you know. Summer’s a long way away but it’s cheerful to anticipate it.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it also possible to swim with the Libre on but not cover it up? As in when I go on holiday....Not until June....Sigh. In a pool or in the sea for a dip?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it also possible to swim with the Libre on but not cover it up? As in when I go on holiday....Not until June....Sigh. In a pool or in the sea for a dip?

I swam without covering when I knew it was due to come off within a couple of hours. Just as an experiment really. I swam for an hour giving it some welly! It stayed on whilst swimming but capitulated as I got dressed. So I would cover.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had one in my arm a couple of hours and I think for swimming I'll cut a roll of cling film in half and wrap my arm with it each time, I see Tegaderm being used on tattoos, well in my day they wrapped tats in cling film :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best one i've tried is the Tegaderm plaster from 3M, it's see through and you keep it on for the duration of the sensor as it may pull the sensor off if removed beforehand, it's worked fine for me.
Can I ask if this Tegaderm is the one from boots? I bought one today and even managed to get it neatly on, but for 20 mins I had a sensor error afterwards!

I did under 30 minutes in the pool, crawl and breaststroke, in 2 and 4 length sets, the cling film soon came off but the Tegaderm's still ok.
So I think I need something waterproof around my arm or over the Tegaderm.