1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Swimming

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by claymic, Oct 22, 2019.

1. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I would like to start swimming to lose weight and improve my bg but I am si scared of picking something on my feet from the pool like an infection etc. And that scares me. Any tips from regular swimmers? Thanks

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I swim regularly and haven’t had any problems with infected feet. My blood sugars are in the normal range and I shower after each swim. If you’re worried you could always wear swim socks

3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @claymic I'm a little unsure what you mean, do you mean like a verruca ? Do you have an issue with your feet ?

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You'd likely do far better by adjusting what you eat rather than trying to lose through exercise. ?
    No fear of infections either...

5. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with a point that diet is the best way to go, the best way is to combine both. Increased activity increases glucose metabolism, decreased weight increased glucose metabolism.

Diet is very important but if you can I think its much better to work on both so swimming is a great idea.

The trick with swimming is doing it at a pace that gets your heart rate up a little bit - whatever that pace may be. Doing 30 lengths of chin up breaststroke does not do a great deal apart from helps stretch out your muscles a little bit unless the pace your doing it at gets your heart rate up a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My bg at the minute are not that great. I am worried of maybe getting things like a nail infection or athletes foot etc. I do have neuropathy and my circulation is not great so I am afraid if I get something it might not heal. Obviously I am looking at my diet as well.

Ideally I want something to keep my feet as dry as possible but so far other than the verruca socks I cant find anything that I can use.

7. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @claymic. A regular swimmer here.
    I wear this sort of foot protection in swimming pool. Swim socks. They prevent me from slipping, and are flexible enough for aquafit and swimming. Never had any problems with infections.
    (Other brands are available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JIASUQI-Womens-Lightweight-Water-Swimming/dp/B07QC58RLL/ref=sr_1_8?crid=12UNNDKX3ZN88&dchild=1&keywords=water+socks&qid=1571752775&s=sports&sprefix=Water+%2Csports%2C173&sr=1-8

As others have mentioned, exercise alone has not helped me lose weight, but has helped maintain muscle mass, which is important. Though muscle is heavier than fat. I would concentrate on dietary changes for life, rather than hope exercise would suffice.
    I also find that I tend to eat less when I am swimming regularly. Also that feeling of hunger some report after exercise is more likely to be a need for rehydration, so drink plenty of water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bmtest

bmtest · Well-Known Member

Infection very rare and balance this with the oppotunity of losing weight but use rubber socks the type people with verucca's use or walk to pool with flippers on.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook