T1 care at GP surgery & diabetes centre?

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm T1 & my diabetes care is overseen at the diabetes centre at my local hospital. However periodically I get a letter from my doctors surgery saying I need to see the diabetic nurse. At these appt all they do is weight me, take my blood pressure & check my BMI. The nurse isn't knowledgable on DAFNE so cant give me any advice and looks at me blank if I mention insulin to carb ratio's etc. The surgery say I need to attend these appointments as they provide my prescriptions, however it just doesn't seem best use of nurses time when the surgery is so busy.
Not sure if this is anything to do with helping the surgery get QOF points - if these are still in place? Does anyone else have experience of this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
quite the opposite with my surgery. all my care done by the hospital team who have to fax my surgery what I need on prescriptions. Every so often though have to attend a prescription review at gps (like my meds are going to change?) Just say yep I need all them off I go till next time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: T1 care at GP surgery & diabetes centre?

Probably just a routine letter sent out to all diabetic patients who haven't attended the gp practice for a check-up in the last 12 months, if your under the care of your hospital clinic I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are concerned then speak with the practice manager and explain that your diabetes checks are carried out at the hospital, explain to them that there's no point in getting two check-ups and you are quite happy to continue as things are.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I have exactly the same situation Nicolan. I asked my surgery why they insist on doing blood tests when they are already done by the hospital and they said they like to keep an eye on their patients too. In the end, I agreed I would let them run their tests and checks (I assume that's how they meet their targets and get their money) but that they have to make them useful by ensuring any blood tests are at least three months after the hospital ones - no point in having two HbA1c less than 3 months apart!

Smidge

iHs

This does seem all a bit pointless in 2 places all doing the same tests but a hospital does not supply bg teststrips whereas a GP surgery will. For a GP to be able to issue repeat prescriptions for insulin and teststrips they would also need to review a patient by seeing them first and having blood tests done. Although not everywhere, some hospitals do not share blood test information with a GP or reports on the wellbeing and so the GP will be none the wiser unless they do the blood test themselves. It would end up being a bit outrageous if a GP constantly issued repeat prescriptions without ever seeing a patient or knowing what their blood test results were. They would end up getting into trouble especially if someone was to become very ill. Its all about working and sharing care even though its costly.

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I've now had 2 reminders and a note (in bold) at the top of my repeat prescription saying I need to see the nurse so I better make an appointment!!! ...I'll question the reason for the appt again as the nurse doesn't do any blood tests as the surgery can access my results from the hospital.