T1 food.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see so many food items on here that I personally wouldn't touch, so I thought I'd post up a few T1D meals I eat to add some variety, I'm currently looking to gain a couple of kg so have upped the portion size and insulin injection to suit, I'm coming up to my 34th or 35th diaversary, mostly with a hba1c of 52 but down to 46 using a Libre.
image[1].jpeg
So here we have a supermarket best 700g fish pie, 67g carbs, 80g protein, some fat, basmati rice at 54g carbs the portion and a 300g pot of low fat humous with chilli sauce @ 20g carbs with mange tout, broccoli and carrots, 8u Humalog and bloods peaking at 6.8 tho I'll need another couple of u for supper.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
brekky.jpeg

The porridge pot :p 60g oats @ 35g carbs, 300ml water and some cow juice to taste, a long time T1d breakfast needing 2/5u Humalog, there's 2 10g slices of wholemeal bread and 3 poached eggs to come for the second course too....

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fab pictures. I am betting that most people on this site are shuddering at the very sight, even I as a type 1 am starting to tremble. x

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I see so many food items on here that I personally wouldn't touch, so I thought I'd post up a few T1D meals I eat to add some variety, I'm currently looking to gain a couple of kg so have upped the portion size and insulin injection to suit, I'm coming up to my 34th or 35th diaversary, mostly with a hba1c of 52 but down to 46 using a Libre. View attachment 28577 So here we have a supermarket best 700g fish pie, 67g carbs, 80g protein, some fat, basmati rice at 54g carbs the portion and a 300g pot of low fat humous with chilli sauce @ 20g carbs with mange tout, broccoli and carrots, 8u Humalog and bloods peaking at 6.8 tho I'll need another couple of u for supper.

Wheres my invite for tea??? Looks very nice @kev-w
Not so sure on the porridge thou :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fab pictures. I am betting that most people on this site are shuddering at the very sight, even I as a type 1 am starting to tremble. x

I find porridge to be slow release carbs, and the way they work suits me for how I work, if I lived a sedentary lifestyle I'd be forced to cut portion size, but so far I don't have a problem, I used to need 3u when on Lantus so I've shaved .5u from my pre breakfast jab, one of the benefis of porridge is it's ability to regulate cholesterol, mines at 4.3 (a slight rise as I've eaten too many salted peanuts this last 6 months for Scooby snacks)) aged 51 and I've never used statins, I may need a rich tea biscuit late morning as I'd expect a slow drop due to last nights exercise but it'll see me thru to a tin of tuna at lunch with wholemeal bread to suit.

The carbs I eat are mainly complex ones and I thought I'd do this for balance..

Reactions: Leeannea and SueJB
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
View attachment 28583
The porridge pot :p 60g oats @ 35g carbs, 300ml water and some cow juice to taste, a long time T1d breakfast needing 2/5u Humalog, there's 2 10g slices of wholemeal bread and 3 poached eggs to come for the second course too....

Well, that has shaken up peoples Friday ............ you know what i feel about porridge :yuck: lol But well done on the 46 hba1c,

Reactions: kev-w

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh Pyrex - it makes sense now how you make such a portion. ;)

I had a 40g bowl of mine this morning with milk and some frozen berries mixed in. No pictures because I'm not in the habit and forgot but came out at 36g carbs with the berries.

Reactions: KK123 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A spot of lunch, tin of tuna, black pepper & chilli sauce @1g carbs/100g and a 9g carbs slice of dry bread, should have could have would have had a banana but I've sacked my swim for a mission up town so don't need the carbs from one :) the tin of tuna's a constant, the bread can be no slices to two slices depending on what my bloods are doing, I try to avoid fast acting insulin at mid day.
lunch.jpeg

Checks the time to realise it's past mid day :) so my metabolic rate is down a bit today as I'm at 5.1mmols slow drop and would have got there sooner if out on my ladders....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My plans changed so didn't cycle, and spiked to 10, 1u correction sorted that :) alongside another 1.5u for the Toulouse sausage pasty I had as a munchie (I'd not normally do that but I can get away with it and was correcting anyway) which brings me to a late tea, I got a cooked chicken for £3 reduced so I'm having that, rice at just under 60g carbs, humous at 20g the pot and some arrabbati sauce at 10g with carrot shallot mange tout and broccoli
tea.jpeg

Bon appetite :) at around 100g carbs, 6u Humalog and a blood of 5.9

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey, I’ll those plates of food scare me! I eat a 1/3rd of that for my 1 food meal a day!! If I add in a breakfast it’s a ramekin of nuts or my own porridge mix ins very small bowl. Could never eat food qtys like on those plates!!!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey, I’ll those plates of food scare me! I eat a 1/3rd of that for my 1 food meal a day!! If I add in a breakfast it’s a ramekin of nuts or my own porridge mix ins very small bowl. Could never eat food qtys like on those plates!!!

The portion size for my tea is a little bigger at the moment, standard breakfast and lunch, and my insulin requirements have gone up too, I'm trying to eat 130g -140g carbs every evening for a month or so with >100g protein a day too, this year's been a busy one and all too frequently I've been eating 70-80g carbs for tea so have lost a couple of kg and am feeling the loss in the gym so intend putting it back on, what scares me is that I can get away with the plate size with my training, but I'll reach an age where I can no longer hack it and at that point I'll have to diet or I'll put unwanted weight on and I honestly dread that happening.

CICO I think they call it, calories in, calories out, today I've eaten more than I burned but yesterday it was the other way round and equals out over 7 days, oh and Weetabix for supper, but it/they don't need a photo :)

Reactions: kitedoc

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast, standard porridge pot and hard boiled eggs @ around 55g carbs all in, low fat mayo with chilli sauce for the eggs and 2.5u Humalog
photo.JPG

Replacement micro cooks a little faster if you're wondering about the pebble dash porridge pot :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kev-w, Exploding porridge sounds just as dangerous as one of your dishes, shark-infested custard !! (Any incentive to reduce carbs)!!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w, Exploding porridge sounds just as dangerous as one of your dishes, shark-infested custard !! (Any incentive to reduce carbs)!!

On this thread I'm not looking to reduce carbs :) far from it, I'm simply showing T1D from a different viewpoint and one involving a moderate complex carb intake fuelling a moderate exercise regime and physical labour and insulin injections, what I would say is you'll see no puddings, cakes or any items with simple sugars (other than a swimming banana), nothing full fat unless it's mozzarella in a spag bol, in fact most of the dishes are similar in that they provide the spread of nutrition that has worked for me over the course of the illness.

Dunno what's for tea yet :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Child chose a take away so I went for a mousakka from't supermarket, 44g carbs, a little too much 'of which sugars' for a daily type meal but it'll do as a 'Saturday night special' :) standard veg portion,
photo.JPG
a 60g carbs pouch of Tilda Brown basmati and quinoa rice and the tub of humous, the humous in fact is what I'm using as extra carbs, the rest's a standard weekend tea, so around 120g all in, 7.5u jab which allows for the higher 'of which sugars' bit, 5.2 starting to eat.

Back to home cooked tomorrow.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a jacket potato left to use up tonight so I topped it with a strong prawn madras. 56g carbs all in and very yum!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm simply showing T1D from a different viewpoint and one involving a moderate complex carb intake fuelling a moderate exercise regime and physical labour and insulin injections

Thoroughly worthwhile motives, Kev. T2 is about 90% of the diabetic population so the T1 voice is sometimes drowned out because of the numbers.

I can understand completely why T2s avoid grains, and also why T1s sometimes choose to do that too, but it remains the fact that the right sort of grains, in the right sort of amounts, with the right amount of insulin, can be a good thing for T1s.

I'm not talking about white rice here. That stuff is wildly unpredictable, for me at least.

Brown/wild rice, that's a different story. It's got fibre/minerals etc. It has nutritional value.

What "grain haters", especially the ones who have never ever injected insulin several times a day in order to not die, fail to understand is that complex grains like rice and oats very often have a stabilising effect on T1 bg levels.

My experience is that I'm living courtesy of a type of insulin which has a time pattern to it - it acts for several hours. Some grains, some pulses, even egg noodles, match that pattern well, which is why I eat them.

Counter-intuitively, a plate of brown rice, or 60g of egg noodles in a ramen broth, makes my life and bg levels smoother and easier because those foods match, for me, the patterns of my insulin.

Haven't got any photos, but, whoah, give buckwheat a go, member of the rhubarb family, packed with minerals, and a thing called chiro-inisitol which mimics insulin, boil it for twenty minutes, fry some bacon lardons, chestnut mushrooms, tomatoes, chuck in a few capers or even some samphire if yer getting posh, chuck it all together with some smoky bbq sauce, and it's good to go...

Last edited:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had loads of veg, cooked with mackerel; and also a mango. It was probably only about 30g of carbs, as I don't like to eat a lot of carbs at night; though I tend to eat more for breakfast, and lunch.

Reactions: kitedoc and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@db89 sounds nice does that :) I 'struggle' with potatoes, as in they spike me and in my own pig headed way avoid baked ones as I like loads of butter on them with a filling, but I don't eat butter in the name of a low fat diet.

@Scott-C would buckwheat also be called 'Polish rice'? I've had it in a meal of pork and paprika stew if so, young un's Polish friend and her mam & dad came here to tea for a Yorkshire staple Thai massaman curry and we went to theirs for stew. Downside was discovering pierogi as they're quite Moorish with sour cream and I'd guess the pierogi was the cause of the spike I had not the 'Polish rice'
As far as rice goes, brown basmati works consistently. I wash it under the cold tap till clean, drain and put in fridge for half hour whilst the curry cooks off, white rice, I can manage a smaller portion of white basamati, but it's surprising how much the carbs differ by label from brand to brand, pasta too, wholegrain and cooled & reheated works for me, but the ready cooked stuff always spikes me.

@Alison54321 Mackerel's nice, but for me it's a starter, but that's as I'm a glutton and to get the weight of protein I'm looking for need a few fish and they then get a bit oily :)

Thinking hard I can count around 5 portions of fish and chips in the last 30 odd years mind :) I'll not post breakfast pics as you've seen them but will have one of tea later :)

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@db89 sounds nice does that :) I 'struggle' with potatoes, as in they spike me and in my own pig headed way avoid baked ones as I like loads of butter on them with a filling, but I don't eat butter in the name of a low fat diet.

@Scott-C would buckwheat also be called 'Polish rice'? I've had it in a meal of pork and paprika stew if so, young un's Polish friend and her mam & dad came here to tea for a Yorkshire staple Thai massaman curry and we went to theirs for stew. Downside was discovering pierogi as they're quite Moorish with sour cream and I'd guess the pierogi was the cause of the spike I had not the 'Polish rice'
As far as rice goes, brown basmati works consistently. I wash it under the cold tap till clean, drain and put in fridge for half hour whilst the curry cooks off, white rice, I can manage a smaller portion of white basamati, but it's surprising how much the carbs differ by label from brand to brand, pasta too, wholegrain and cooled & reheated works for me, but the ready cooked stuff always spikes me.

@Alison54321 Mackerel's nice, but for me it's a starter, but that's as I'm a glutton and to get the weight of protein I'm looking for need a few fish and they then get a bit oily :)

Thinking hard I can count around 5 portions of fish and chips in the last 30 odd years mind :) I'll not post breakfast pics as you've seen them but will have one of tea later :)

It's interesting. I'm only 5 foot 4 inches, so I have to be a bit careful about not putting on too much weight. At the moment I could do with losing about half a stone. So I'm keeping the carbs a bit low at the moment, but the real weight gainer for me is too many hypos, and not enough exercise. But I schedule about 120g per day into my meals, a the moment, though I always end up eating more, to avoid, or correct, low blood sugars.

I eat bread, and have oats as a cereal for breakfast, but I just like fruit,so there's no way I'd go low carb.

But the calorie intake of men and women, to maintain a stable weight, is different, so it's interesting to see what you're doing @kev-w looking forward to the pictures of tea.