T1 friendly smoothies/shakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently started going gym again and I want to know if anyone here has any smoothies/shakes recipes which are Type 1 friendly. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are these protein shakes (shop bought formula) or like fruit and veg shakes?

Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything green really, as far as I can see green things are the lowest in carb content. But they don't taste the best.

Apple, beetroot and carrot make lovely drinks but they're higher in carbohydrates. Providing you count the carbs correctly then it shouldn't be a problem.

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like peanut butter with coconut milk and a bit of chia seeds and fruits (strawberries or blueberries). Yummy :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Most smoothie recipes recommend banana.. They aren't necessary. It's just to thicken, not needed if you add in whey protein powder.

There is one thing I would just mention.

Yes a T1 can drink smoothies and many with gastroparesis end up with having to do live on smoothies n soups before being tube fed... However, they can raise potassium levels beyond target levels..

Ie I had one smoothie a day.. This waa homemade using 1 banana, 1 mango, yogurt or coconut milk, 1 apple, 1 kiwi fruit and handlful of spinach and either raspberries or blueberries. This was divided into 6 glasses of 170 ml. Hubby and I drank one a dsy for 3 days.

My potassium levels went over target from doing this. Easy to bolus for and digested well so my lbg evels stayed good.

Due to some great tablets and a fantastic gastro chap I no longer need to have such a limited diet and my levels of potassium in my blood have dropped again.

Please keep an eye on all your bloods if adding smoothies regularly..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like peanut butter with coconut milk and a bit of chia seeds and fruits (strawberries or blueberries). Yummy :)
What kind of chia seeds do you use because I was looking for them today and there are so many of them ahahah

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I like Linwoods ground ones.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Perhaps a bit off the question, but if you do a lot of exercise, you might be interested to hear that Torq have partnered with TeamBG and launched a new 15g hypogel. It's super fast acting. Probably not something you want to have to use regularly, but might want to consider having in your 'just in case' bag.
http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/nutrition/torq-a1c-diabetes

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I read yesterday that whey protein helps to lower LDL cholesterol (and so does exercise) so a whey shake might be a double good for a T1 as both the exercise and the whey act against the development of coronary heart disease (big killer of T1s later in life).

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you aim to achieve from the gym? Smoothies might not be the right drink for you as they usually contain more fruit than you can eat in a single serving and thus have a lot of fructose. To my knowledge there aren't many (any) fruits that contain a high dose of protein particularly whey.

I just drink a whey isolate which contains less than 1g. of carbs after a workout and during the day just a normal whey which contains 4-5g. of carbs.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
What do you aim to achieve from the gym? Smoothies might not be the right drink for you as they usually contain more fruit than you can eat in a single serving and thus have a lot of fructose. To my knowledge there aren't many (any) fruits that contain a high dose of protein particularly whey.

I just drink a whey isolate which contains less than 1g. of carbs after a workout and during the day just a normal whey which contains 4-5g. of carbs.

I have 500 ml water with 25g Good Clean Protein (European 100% Golden Pea Protein) 0.68g oh carbs and 10g of Good Green Stuff (vits, mins, electrolytes), 2.8g carbs.

Helps me train to the limit for just over 3G carbs and no GMO, gluten, animal, dairy etc:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum