T1 - How's your basal dose in non active days?

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey everyone! I'm a Type 1 and using the insulin pump and last Monday I've started with physical activity everyday at 13:00 pm and so I had to lower my basal dose on my insulin pump
However, this weekend, I didn't practice any sort of activity and my BS is increased to 7-8.

I'm thinking that maybe I have to use 110% of basal doses during the days I don't exercise.

What do you guys think? Do you have to do the same when not exercising?

Sent from my XT1033 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya @deborabaratto - Generally for exercise I tend to change my basal to suit the exercise so a 2 hour bike ride is different to a short 30 minute run, so a long bike ride means turning my basal down to 0% for 2 hours and then reduced to 50% for 2-3 hours afterwards, a short run means turning down to 50%, however I have set up 4 pumps settings for my basal - so work days (less active), weekends (more active), periods (insulin resistant) and illness.

D

Deleted Account

I tend to use my temporary basal in the opposite way to what you describe.
My basal is set for days when I do no exercise.
I then adjust it for activities. typically (although it depends on the activity), this means adjust 1 hour before exercise (+TBR if I am doing weights, climbing, etc. and -TBR if I am doing cardio). Then I adjust for 8 hours after exercise with -TBR.

When I am doing no exercise, i leave the settings alone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm thinking that maybe I have to use 110% of basal doses during the days I don't exercise.

Alternatively you could just have a separate basal programme for these days.

What do you guys think? Do you have to do the same when not exercising?

If the exercise is prolonged then I just use a TBR, setting it 1-2 hours beforehand and afterwards too.

Reactions: deborabaratto

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I just think it's odd because when I did to adjust only during the exercise, but this time it wasn't enough - lots of hypoglycemias. So I changed everything and it was better but Saturday and Sunday not anymore.
I'll try the changes in my TBR this week to see how it goes

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hiya @deborabaratto - Generally for exercise I tend to change my basal to suit the exercise so a 2 hour bike ride is different to a short 30 minute run, so a long bike ride means turning my basal down to 0% for 2 hours and then reduced to 50% for 2-3 hours afterwards, a short run means turning down to 50%, however I have set up 4 pumps settings for my basal - so work days (less active), weekends (more active), periods (insulin resistant) and illness.

Really? Does I work well for you? How did you figure it out the basal needs? Are they too different?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to rely on one basal profile most of the time @deborabaratto but set TBRs frequently as and when I need to - I have a very chaotic routine involving different amounts of activity, and that's what suits me best.

:)