T1 taking Magnesium

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
First questions you should ask is
(1) Are you actually depleted in Magnesium ?
(2) Have you been tested for this ?
(3) Can my intake be upped just by using diet alone ?

Here is an American site which deals comprehensively with the issue of Magnesium. Makes interesting reading.
What is the best way to get extra magnesium?
Eating a variety of whole grains, legumes, and vegetables (especially dark-green, leafy vegetables) every day will help provide recommended intakes of magnesium and maintain normal storage levels of this mineral. Increasing dietary intake of magnesium can often restore mildly depleted magnesium levels. However, increasing dietary intake of magnesium may not be enough to restore very low magnesium levels to normal.

Full article here:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp

Ken

goji

I take magnesium 400mg a day. I was tested for this and my result was below the normal range.

I have only really noticed that it helps with muscle weakness/cramping.

I am type 1.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I used to take magnesium when I had a lot of leg cramps in bed at night. They went so I forgot
all about them and stopped taking the magnesium. The cramps didn't come back but maybe
they would have gone anyway without the magnesium - I don't know!
I was never tested for magnesium levels but it was my doctor who prescribed me magnesium
at the time.
My favourite mineral water - Contrex - contains magnesium.
By the way I am T2 so I don't know if this is helpful.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got told by an NHS anaethisist (sorry for spelling) who also worked privately giving advice on vitamins and minerals and transfusions for B12 and other vitamins.

His advice to me was to have a bath for at least 10 minutes in plain bath water with 2 large cups of epsom salts, he said this was the best way to get a good dose of magnesium directly absorbed through the skin. He said it was important not to use bubble bath etc and not to wash either, just soak as much of my body as possible in the deepest water possible.

I have chronic pains on a constant basis, and it really does help, my aches will really reduce. I bought a 25kg bag of it on the internet, I think it was actually supplied by a farm, as they have uses for the epsom salts too. I use them just once a week, the rest of the time I use bubble bath, and the bag has lasted over a year.

astralworld

Most people in the western world are deficient in magnesium, mainly because of the lack of this mineral in the soil due to intensive farming methods. It is unlikely that anyone gets sufficcient magnesium purely from diet alone.

Taking magnesium tablets is a bit of a wasted effort as magnesium works on a cellular level, and most of it will be excreted before it has the chance to do any good.

The safest and most efficient way to up your magnesium intake is to use magnesium chloride hexahydrate (NOT Epsom Salts)], either as a bath or foot soak, or transdermally, in the form of a spray (which is sold as 'magnesium oil'). Either of these methods is proven to be much more efficient than oral medication, as the magnesium is delivered to the cells directly through the skin.

Magnesium oil is also useful for topical application for aches and pains and is very effective.