T2 and insulin

Shem S

Saw my DN yesterday. Can see my BG is coming down but even though I’ve almost completely cut out carbs since diagnosis 2 weeks ago, am hovering around 10% to 15% carbs and around 1500 calories/day, I haven’t lost any weight.

Am going back in 2 weeks and she’s suggested we might need to discuss insulin.

Has this happened to anyone else? The idea of having to do injections fills me with dread.

Reactions: mike@work

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forget calories. Can you tell us everything you ate yesterday, we may be able to spot a tweak.

Reactions: Shem S

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi it has taken me 7years to progress onto insulin,ive been through every other scenario including remmision (reversal? Lol I dont think so), just wanted to say if insulin is correct for you, theres nothing to worry about, its less painful than finger prick tests.

Best wishes with whatever happens when you see DN

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw my DN yesterday. Can see my BG is coming down but even though I’ve almost completely cut out carbs since diagnosis 2 weeks ago, am hovering around 10% to 15% carbs and around 1500 calories/day, I haven’t lost any weight.

Has this happened to anyone else? The idea of having to do injections fills me with dread.

What are your blood sugars like? If they are coming down this is good. Blood sugars are far more important than weight loss, and 2 weeks from diagnosis is no time at all. It is a marathon and takes time.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is quite common to see improved BG before weight loss. I saw subtle changes in body shape before I lost a pound. Have you tried measuring your height to waist ratio? Also, we do not always see a linear fall in weight loss, it stutters quite a bit at times.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello "Shem S"!
I do agree with "xfieldok" here above, and I also have to add - 2 weeks is not in my opinion enough time, to be able to draw any strict conclusions. I would like to suggest, to give your change of lifestyle a little more time...

Reactions: Dinet and Shem S

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts. Forget calories as they have no relevance to us (or anyone?!). We need to know your total carbs rather than percentage to give any opinion on the amount. If you currently have excess weight then it's always best to get that down which you are trying to do through low-carbing rather than rush to insulin as that may add to a body with too much insulin already due to insulin resistance. I assume you are already on Metformin?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your HbA1c on diagnosis Shem? I don’t understand why your DN is suggesting insulin if she can see your numbers are coming down. Any decision about change in meds, I think, should be based on your HbA1c, which I imagine will be coming down too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is that 10 to15% of your daily calories as carbs? Or do you mean 10 to 15 grams?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. If going onto insulin is right for you it is not as bad a you think.

However it it does sound that very long since your diagnosis. I would suggest you ask at your next appointment why this is being suggested. You can listen to all the info and then say you want some time to consider this. You could also take someone with you wh can also ask questions.

Good luck with your next appointment

Reactions: dbr10 and Shem S

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I would ask for 3 months before considering insulin.

I took at least 6 weeks to start to get my head around low carb. I fell off the wagon a number of times and I made mistakes.

Your meter and food diary are your new best friends, followed by us :)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Insulin, as with all drugs, needs to be seen as a tool that can be used to do different things at different times as needed, rather than as something to be avoided at all costs and / or a sign of failure.
When I was first diagnosed my sugars were in the high 20’s (28 ) and I was put straight onto an insulin pump - without which its questionable if I would have survived. Once my sugars were brought down to an acceptable level I moved off insulin and onto another medication (Gliclazide) - 22 years later by a combination of luck and very careful dietary choices I am on the same medication but at the minimum dose.
Whatever route you choose, a stringent blood sugar testing regime in order to guage the effect of different foods on your sugars will be as important as medication

Reactions: Shem S and Fenn

Shem S

Folks, apologies for the radio silence, and once again, thank you for all of your advice. It’s so good to understand more about what T2 might mean for me longer term. To answer some of the questions:

1: HbA1c will probably be tested again at the end of Jan
2: body measurements not specifically taken but my clothes are starting to get a bit bigger
3: exercise, I am trying to up this but this is much harder now I’m back at work
4: carbs, I’ve been working on a 10% to 15% ratio of total calorific intake. This translates to <50g per day
5: insulin suggestion was that it might help to get the weight off more quickly and it be less of a battle given my other issues
6: eating to my meter, I’m trying very hard to be disciplined with this and mostly seeing less than 2mmol difference before and after meals
7: I would kill for a bag of crisps right now

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5: insulin suggestion was that it might help to get the weight off more quickly and it be less of a battle given my other issues

Did your nurse tell you that insulin can encourage weight gain? I haven't heard that it helps reduce weight. Just the opposite in fact.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did your nurse tell you that insulin can encourage weight gain? I haven't heard that it helps reduce weight. Just the opposite in fact.
Most people find precisely the opposite..
If you follow the view that insulin is the hormone that promotes fat storage it may not be a good idea...

Yes - agree. Strange advice.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was against taking insulin at first but having had Diabetes for 8 years now and managed 7 of those years with diet and exercise plus tablets I found it was steadily progressing and so had to go onto Insulin.... do not worry about having to go onto Insulin it helps keep you alive and well

Shem S

Thanks all. Going to keep on the LCHF for now and see what happens weight wise. I’ve not lost any weight but I haven’t put any on either