1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T2 Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Nobbyk, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Nobbyk

Nobbyk Type 2 · Member

Hi All

Been 4 years since I first joined when I had just been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic. That issue came and went following an effort to reduce my Carb intake and a little more excercise.

However, following a recent blood test, I have now been told I am 'Diabetic' and have been placed on Metformin, with little discussion, dissapointing.

So, where I find myself now is that I do not want to be on Metformin and I'm commited to reducing my blood sugar levels in order to come off the medication in 3 months when my next blood glucose levels will be checked.

Due to some experience in coaching in past years, I am 60, I am pretty aware of good and bad foods, re carbs etc, but would appreciate a link to any diet type lists that may be available via this site, i did a quick search but it came up with lots of threads and not many lists.

I am at least 2 stone overweight so I'm looking forward to the weightloss and take a statin and Losartan for high blood pressure. I note that some here have had positive outcomes with these meds following there diet so I look forward to see what improvements may come from this.

Thanks in advance.

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hi and welcome back!

Base meals around meat, fish, eggs and if you like them above ground veg.
    Have some berries and greek yoghurt (full fat of course) for a treat and maybe some high cocoa choc if you like that.
    Dairy should be ok unless you have a problem with that.

It really is that simple

As for the meds.. statins I'd never take and watch out for your blood pressure going too low on the meds once you cut carbs. If you go hard and fast you might want to think about stopping all of the meds for a period to avoid problems.

3. Nobbyk

Nobbyk Type 2 · Member

Good advice and thanks Bulkbiker.

My biggest issue is Breakfast, I need something easy and convenient as I'm at work?

4. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Nobbyk Hi there! Could you boil some eggs the night before to take with you to work? I often just have a slice of cheese with an egg if dashing out the house early. Or, if time to eat at home, perhaps the Greek yogurt with some Raspberries, or blueberries (well any berries are ok) as that's very quick. I always lace mine with some cream too :)

5. Nobbyk

Nobbyk Type 2 · Member

I could but 5 days a week would be a bind ;-)

6. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Nobbyk Unfortunately all breakfast cereals are quite high in carbs )(even so called healthy porridge) because of being based upon grains. So many on here have eggs (cooked any way) for breakfast, but cold cuts of meat, fish or cheese would also be OK - just avoid bread.

Having said all that, I've been told that there are some versions keto of 'granola' and some keto versions of bread available .

7. Nobbyk

Nobbyk Type 2 · Member

Thanks ianfOster

8. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Some left over roasted meat or roasted chicken from a from a grocery store?
    Add some cheese with some olives?

9. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/1-minute-keto-mug-muffins maybe, or https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/breakfast-keto-chaffles , https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pickle-sandwich-with-deli-turkey-and-mustard-mayo , or very simple, cheese roll-ups. (Cheese with cold cuts, maybe some butter, seasoning, roll up and go!)

Of course, you could skip breakfast and just have a massive lunch. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lakeslover

Lakeslover · Well-Known Member

If you search keto hana they do some really nice low carb granolas. I have mine with full fat Greek yoghurt and sometimes a few berries. Would it be possible to take the yoghurt ready in a bowl and some granola in a separate pot…or leave the granola at work ready.

My yoghurt and granola this morning was 5.9 carbs (253 cals) and in the two hours since eating it my blood sugar has dropped from 6.5 to 6.0.

11. JayBee28

JayBee28 · Active Member

I struggle with breakfast on the two days I’m in the office. However, I take a box of sliced strawberries, raspberries and watermelon and have a yoghurt and 6 almonds. I’ll also have some cheese or meat just a small portion. I’m finding if I have protein this fills me up and I’m not hungry and can last until lunchtime. It works for me, but we are all different. Good luck.

12. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An easy prepare ahead is full fat plain greek yoghurt mixed with milled flax or linseeds or chia seeds. Add a few berries, or cinnamon, or grated dark chocolate and leave to thicken overnight.
    Can swap the yoghurt for coconut milk.
    Thickens to a porridge like consistency and can be endlessly varied.
    I find a 500ml pot of yoghurt and 3-4 tablespoons of seeds GIVE 4-5 portions that gets thickens as the week goes on

13. Nobbyk

Nobbyk Type 2 · Member

Thanks for all your replies, interesting and more than helpful ;-)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook