T2 Diagnosis

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi All

Been 4 years since I first joined when I had just been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic. That issue came and went following an effort to reduce my Carb intake and a little more excercise.

However, following a recent blood test, I have now been told I am 'Diabetic' and have been placed on Metformin, with little discussion, dissapointing.

So, where I find myself now is that I do not want to be on Metformin and I'm commited to reducing my blood sugar levels in order to come off the medication in 3 months when my next blood glucose levels will be checked.

Due to some experience in coaching in past years, I am 60, I am pretty aware of good and bad foods, re carbs etc, but would appreciate a link to any diet type lists that may be available via this site, i did a quick search but it came up with lots of threads and not many lists.

I am at least 2 stone overweight so I'm looking forward to the weightloss and take a statin and Losartan for high blood pressure. I note that some here have had positive outcomes with these meds following there diet so I look forward to see what improvements may come from this.

Thanks in advance.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back!

Base meals around meat, fish, eggs and if you like them above ground veg.
Have some berries and greek yoghurt (full fat of course) for a treat and maybe some high cocoa choc if you like that.
Dairy should be ok unless you have a problem with that.

It really is that simple

As for the meds.. statins I'd never take and watch out for your blood pressure going too low on the meds once you cut carbs. If you go hard and fast you might want to think about stopping all of the meds for a period to avoid problems.

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good advice and thanks Bulkbiker.

My biggest issue is Breakfast, I need something easy and convenient as I'm at work?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

My biggest issue is Breakfast, I need something easy and convenient as I'm at work?
@Nobbyk Hi there! Could you boil some eggs the night before to take with you to work? I often just have a slice of cheese with an egg if dashing out the house early. Or, if time to eat at home, perhaps the Greek yogurt with some Raspberries, or blueberries (well any berries are ok) as that's very quick. I always lace mine with some cream too :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Nobbyk Unfortunately all breakfast cereals are quite high in carbs )(even so called healthy porridge) because of being based upon grains. So many on here have eggs (cooked any way) for breakfast, but cold cuts of meat, fish or cheese would also be OK - just avoid bread.

Having said all that, I've been told that there are some versions keto of 'granola' and some keto versions of bread available .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/1-minute-keto-mug-muffins maybe, or https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/breakfast-keto-chaffles , https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pickle-sandwich-with-deli-turkey-and-mustard-mayo , or very simple, cheese roll-ups. (Cheese with cold cuts, maybe some butter, seasoning, roll up and go!)

Of course, you could skip breakfast and just have a massive lunch. ;)

Lakeslover

If you search keto hana they do some really nice low carb granolas. I have mine with full fat Greek yoghurt and sometimes a few berries. Would it be possible to take the yoghurt ready in a bowl and some granola in a separate pot…or leave the granola at work ready.

My yoghurt and granola this morning was 5.9 carbs (253 cals) and in the two hours since eating it my blood sugar has dropped from 6.5 to 6.0.

JayBee28

I struggle with breakfast on the two days I’m in the office. However, I take a box of sliced strawberries, raspberries and watermelon and have a yoghurt and 6 almonds. I’ll also have some cheese or meat just a small portion. I’m finding if I have protein this fills me up and I’m not hungry and can last until lunchtime. It works for me, but we are all different. Good luck.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An easy prepare ahead is full fat plain greek yoghurt mixed with milled flax or linseeds or chia seeds. Add a few berries, or cinnamon, or grated dark chocolate and leave to thicken overnight.
Can swap the yoghurt for coconut milk.
Thickens to a porridge like consistency and can be endlessly varied.
I find a 500ml pot of yoghurt and 3-4 tablespoons of seeds GIVE 4-5 portions that gets thickens as the week goes on

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all your replies, interesting and more than helpful ;-)